The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

19th Annual DSM-EVO Shootout results and overview

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david buschur

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2004
wakeman, oh, Ohio
Unbelievable event this year. Awesome turn out, weather was mostly unbelievable too. For once it wasn't so extremely hot. Friday we had an "unofficial" dyno day. I'd guess around 200 people came and went throughout the day and we dyno'd about 10 cars. Saturday was a full day at the race track running an autocross on the Summit side of the track. We had 5 autocross only classes and 4 Max Effort classes. The turn out for Saturday was fantastic too. Sunday the weather man was telling us we had a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Well he got it right, we did have a few small showers pass through. Luckily for us they seemed to happen about the time the track was being cleaned up from a breakage or oil down anyway. By late afternoon we were in the clear and the weather cleared up for us.

The 19th Annual is now in the records books as, once again, a record attendance for the shootout! Here are the actual numbers:

Saturday's Autocross/car show off
Spectators-1236
Autocross racers-18
Max Effort Racers-17

Sunday's Drag race
Spectators-2330
Racers-168

From all of us here at the shop we thank all of you for coming out and supporting us and the event, it means a lot to see so many people come from so far each year to participate. We started a week earlier at the shop this year getting ready, this took a huge load of stress off...........of me, at least. It was good to go into the event more prepared and ready. My son, Zachary, was a huge help to me this year, he is 13 now and really getting into all of it. He did a ton of stuff I usually get caught up in doing and helped to keep me cool and calm. My wife missed her first shootout in 12 years as she had to work, that sucked.

Friday's dyno day was the most relaxing I've ever had. For some guys it's a ton of fun, for us it's a ton of work. I wanted to make this year's event an official three day event but decided to hold off to have something substantial to add to the 20th Anniversary event in 2012. The dyno pace was nice and slow, nobody was in a hurry, no huge line and I had a lot of help. I decided this year that I was going to cruise the hotels and hang out down in Norwalk. My good friends Mike Carter and Kevin Lawson along with my son and his friend all went cruising the hotels. Mike drove the Bad Bish for me, Kevin drove Project White and I drove the new '32 Ford I built. I wasn't sure what I'd be met with. There are always haters in the crowd and in the past have tolerated some crap when I drive through. I have to say this year had me smiling from ear to ear! To all of you that went out of your way to compliment the car, take pictures, videos and stand up and applaud.....I truly thank you. You made my weekend fantastic. It was so nice to see how many people liked this car I put together. My son saw what was going on and asked to ride with me through one hotel. (no seat belts yet so I had him riding in the Bish). He was also over joyed by the response, so thank you guys.

Saturday was the big change for this year, a full day at the track. More room for cars, vendors and the autocross to run or watch. I entered the Bad Bish in Max Effort, forgot my jack to change my tires to race tires, and decided to just run my old RE01's. You have to run the same tire for the autocross and the drags, so it's obviously not an ideal tire for either event. My son was running his B&S powered Kart and at the end of the first session of cars, the DSM group, he was leading them all. I was very proud of him........his cockiness was wearing me thin though! haha He told me he'd bet me $50 he could come within a 1/2 second of my time, I refused and he decided to make me a counter offer for 1 full second. Little shit. I told him to worry about himself and his driving and not about beating me or anyone else! At the end of the morning session, which we each got 6 runs, he was beating me! The afternoon I knew I had to turn up the wick and drive harder, it was a near drift contest getting the Bish through those cones but I managed to run a 36.90 second lap which put me in 4th in the EVO Street tire class. We all got in 9 runs, I had an absolute blast. I also hired some guys from the track to chase cones, so instead of the typical run/work program everyone just got to race and then relax and watch.

Sunday was packed at the track. The weather was on and off good/bad/cloudy/scarey. Bottom line is it worked out, we all need to ignore the weather apps on our phones more and just hope for the best! The Max Effort class had to make three runs, the best of the three runs were added to the best autocross time and the low combined ET wins each class. I had over a second to make up from my time in the autocross and the two guys ahead of me could have kept me in 3rd or lower. It wasn't going to be easy, especially considering my quickest ET EVER was last year on drag radials with a 10.4x. I made my first run, spun hard, for some reason decided modulating the spin with my clutch foot instead of my throttle foot was a good idea, hit second, spun hard again, missed third (yeah, I really suck that bad-that's why Kevin drag races it for me!) then into fourth and through the traps. I got the time slip and could not believe that mess I just did was a 10.8 at 143 mph. I thought about not making another run since it was like watching the handicapped. I looked at the times and realized 10.8 wasn't going to cut it. Back in the car for round two, I slipped the clutch nice and steady to get the car to leave without spinning too bad, hit second nicely more tire spin, smacked it into 3rd clean, then fourth, the car was pulling real nice and it felt like a great pass. The rev-limiter hit before I hit the finish line and it was set to 9300 rpm, figured it had to be good. 10.27 at 144.xx mph! I couldn't believe it. At the end of the day I was able to squeeze out a win in the Max Effort Class in a field of excellent drivers, very happy.

The event ran really late, we didn't get out of the track until nearly 8 pm and when I left there were still hundreds of people left in the pits.

Now for the actual race results:

BRACKET 1
Winner-Ryan Miracle, 93 Talon
Runner up-Rick Cioli, '92 Talon
Semi-Bob Novak

BRACKET 2
Winner-Dan Cherne-'11 Genesis Coupe
Runner up-Jeo Ezso-'10 Genesis Coupe
Semi-Salomon Poote-'92 Talon

DSM ELIMINATOR
Winner-Cory Bowers-'96 Talon
Runner up-Pat Fisher-'91 Talon
Semi-Chris Thompson-'91 Talon
Semi-Drew Jones-'90 Talon

DSM STOCK TURBO
Winner-Lucas English-'92 Talon
Runner up-Chris Ferruchie-'96 Talon
Semi-Brad Abele

EVO STOCK APPEARING-MAP Performance
Winner-Brandon Mastrondonato-'05 EVO
Runner up-Dale Janus-'06 EVO
Semi-Jesse Ford-'03 EVO

EVO ELIMINATOR-Torque Solutions
Winner-Chris Cessna-'04 EVO
Runner up-Nick Andy-'03 EVO
Semi-Raif Fejzo-'05 EVO

QUICK 16-Buschur Racing
**Just want to note that this year we were back to a normal $35 entry fee for the race, no more gamblers race. The field nearly TRIPLED! 32 cars attempted to get into the Quick 16 Class! FANTASTIC!!

Winner-Nick Abele-'91 Talon
Runner up-Jesse Abele-'92 Talon
Semi-Devin Schultz-'96 Talon
Semi-Jeff Bush-'93 Talon

MAX EFFORT-Forced Performance

EVO STREET
Winner-David Buschur-36.91 autocross/10.27 drags
Runner up-David Leaton-35.98 autocross/11.56 drags
Semi-Tim Gentil-36.325 autocross/11.40 drags

DSM STREET
Winner-Bryan Vamos-38.27 autocross/11.60 drags
Runner up-Brad Feuerstein-38.71 autocross/11.34 drags
Semi-David Wray-51.39-39.26 autocross/12.13 drags

I'd also like to thank the sponsors listed above, their names are next to the classes they sponsored. Without them the classes are trophy only. With them there is up to $1500 per class paid out to the racers. Be sure to support the companies who are supporting YOU!!

Thank you all again for supporting us, coming to the Shootout and for making this one of the best years I can ever remember! See you all next year!

Sounds like it was a great time! All the pictures and videos are proof that this has been on great event! The goal for me this year is to get the Talon going and enter it in the Max Effort! :)

I can't wait to see what you guys have planned for the 20th. I will be there at all costs. Anyway, thanks for hosting such an amazing event!

We have already started planning the 20th. I'd like to post the event up here on these forums as soon as I get the details all arranged. I have to get the dates set in stone before I post.

I will say that for the 20th it is becoming a full three day event!

David,
The event was top notch. To see so many people with a common interest is something to see. I'm sure I'm speaking for many others when I say "thank you"! That 32' Ford at the BW was great!!! You should make a class just for swap's. (kidding..)

I couldn't make it this year and my friend Chris decided to rub it in my face each day! Good friend he is, right?

I bet him next year I will be there either in my new Evo I'm picking up or my Talon, if I'm not, he gets my Talon. No joke. I will be there for the 20th!

I really want to make it next year, so I'm going to start saving up!

We have already started planning the 20th. I'd like to post the event up here on these forums as soon as I get the details all arranged. I have to get the dates set in stone before I post.

I will say that for the 20th it is becoming a full three day event!

Good news! Can't wait, hope it will make a great 5th year experience.

This year was one for the books. I had an awesome time and besides the mishaps on the way up everything else was great. We will definitely be making the trip from Florida again next year.

Room is already booked for the 20th.

The 20th of what? 8/20/12 is on a Monday.

I didn't know David had set the dates for the 20th shootout yet, since the last thing he posted was:

I'd like to post the event up here on these forums as soon as I get the details all arranged. I have to get the dates set in stone before I post.

Has he posted info on his site about it?

Great work everyone. We cant wait to see you all again next year..

Dave, thanks man. This was the best one I have been to yet(out of 8 years). Can't wait for next year!! Hopefully we can bring three or more cars next year instead of one, LOL.

DO NOT BOOK YOUR ROOM YET~!! The DSM/EVO Facebook page even says DO NOT BOOK ROOMS yet. Those are the dates I think the event will be. I am waiting, still, for my meeting with the track and then I will update the DSM/EVO Shootout Facebook page and post it everywhere else. I hope to have my meeting this week with the track, make sure everything is OK and then get the dates set in stone.

Thank you all for the good words on the race. We try and make it as good as possible. Most of the "goodness" from the race is from the guys who come. Getting it organized just helps make it a little better.

I think this was for sure the best run event ever, after 19 years I'd hope we could get it right! Next year is going to be very much the same. I honestly can't think of anything to change.

I am hoping some sponsors step up this year and kick some money in for the class winners.

DO NOT BOOK YOUR ROOM YET~!! The DSM/EVO Facebook page even says DO NOT BOOK ROOMS yet. Those are the dates I think the event will be. I am waiting, still, for my meeting with the track and then I will update the DSM/EVO Shootout Facebook page and post it everywhere else. I hope to have my meeting this week with the track, make sure everything is OK and then get the dates set in stone.

Thanks for the update Dave. That's what I thought. ;)

next year we'll be there for sure

NBF

I don't normally like going to the track, but this was my first time in a real competition and I had alot of fun. I'm already planning on going next year for sure. :)

<----Drew Jones

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back