The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1995 10 sec FWD build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my season is over now hah. Most people are getting ready for theirs seasons to start but due to my job and working out of state for 6 months I have to park the car till September. Some plans moving forward are to get the saturn alternator working properly, get my turbo checked out and freshened up by JusMX141, get my forcedfour shift box out for an upgrade, and some small things. Im going to change the head gasket and rod bolts as well so hopefully that should help out my motor. I also want to start gathering parts for another motor. Probably a 2.0 6 bolt with turbo tuff rods and wiesco hd pistons. I really want to clean up the wiring a little bit as it's turned into a birds nest under the dash haha.

Im looking forward to seeing some of the awesome FWD builds come out in the next few months. Turboaddict21, Landspeed dsm, and shorty dtp. Get them going guys.

my season is over now hah. Most people are getting ready for theirs seasons to start but due to my job and working out of state for 6 months I have to park the car till September. Some plans moving forward are to get the saturn alternator working properly, get my turbo checked out and freshened up by JusMX141, get my forcedfour shift box out for an upgrade, and some small things. Im going to change the head gasket and rod bolts as well so hopefully that should help out my motor. I also want to start gathering parts for another motor. Probably a 2.0 6 bolt with turbo tuff rods and wiesco hd pistons. I really want to clean up the wiring a little bit as it's turned into a birds nest under the dash haha.

Im looking forward to seeing some of the awesome FWD builds come out in the next few months. Turboaddict21, Landspeed dsm, and shorty dtp. Get them going guys.

Thanks for the shout out! Sucks yours will be down for the summer, but it's understandable for the job, haha. It also gives me time to catch up to you!

Richard. I love it, and you have come aloooong with the badass of a car!! wished I could of meet you when you where in town a while back, maybe next time..

Thanks guys..I'm heading back to AZ on Sunday for a couple months so I'll be able to check it out. I'll let you know

Is this on a stock EXHAUST? WTF

Ya it's the stock catback. But I have a 3in downpipe connected to a 3in e-cutout. I like driving the car around on nice days or to meets and open downpipe got really annoying. My neighbors didn't like it either LOL
cutout_zpse10a23dc.jpg

Attachments

• cutout_zpse10a23dc.jpg
    cutout_zpse10a23dc.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 34
Great job man....
Nice to be in the 10's soon 9's with a fwd....
If you don't mind shearing what restrictor did you use for the 35 and what for the 40?
Did you use the restrictor on the turbo or in the filter housing?
If you remember would be great help....

The LSD was a wavetrak I think. I bought it used off of a member from here. I honestly didn't think it made a huge deal with traction.

Evominus- thanks for the kind words. I had the restrictor off the oil filter housing. I forgot what size it was for the 35 but for the 40 I don't use one. I ported the oil filter housing so my oil pressure peaks at 80psi or so. I rather run higher oil pressure to the turbo cause I run such high boost (40-45lbs)

The LSD was a wavetrak I think. I bought it used off of a member from here. I honestly didn't think it made a huge deal with traction.

Evominus- thanks for the kind words. I had the restrictor off the oil filter housing. I forgot what size it was for the 35 but for the 40 I don't use one. I ported the oil filter housing so my oil pressure peaks at 80psi or so. I rather run higher oil pressure to the turbo cause I run such high boost (40-45lbs)

This build has inspired me to build my talon instead of selling it so thank you for posting this as it has given me hope. So keep doing what your doing and cant wait to see updates on this build.

Hey Richard. I know your off at work now and I hope all is well. I just was thinking about your build today and decided to drop by. I am hoping for 11s at CMI this year and our set ups are near identical except for the auto and slicks. And some other little things here and there. Your the reason I still to this day have not purchased any type of an LSD. I'm hoping I don't have too until I'm in the 9s. I really want to do this while staying 5 speed. I know it's going to be a challenge but that's what I like about it, it's just something different then most would do. I also adopted the way you set your goals for ET. Just go out there and try to beat your previous time. I'm hoping to skip over the 12s all together as you did. I ran a best of 13.4 at 108 on my 20g at 22psi and I thought that it would have went 11s for sure but I blew a head gasket a few months ago and decided to go all out on this build.

Anyhow, I can't wait for you to return and bring this thing back to life with some awseome updates. Good luck with everything and I hope all is well. Hope to hear from you soon.

Anthony B.

^^ Your going to have to do alot better driving if you think your going to hit 11's. 2.2 60' is what's killing you bro!! Your never hitting 12's let alone 11's running street tires on a fwd. I would focus on suspension and hooking up before worrying about making more power or hitting 11's. With your mph if you get your 60's down to 1.8 your looking at 12.5's easy!!! Not trying to ruin your plans or bash your ideas, just giving some honest advise!:)Trust me bro my path is right behind Richards, with alittle better tune on my last setup I think I could have hit high 11's on the small 16g! Now with the hx35 and motor to support 600+hp I see low 11's high 10's in my future!! :) that's of course if I can keep the power down and launch the car LOL!! If I can cut low 1.7 60' like I was before this cars going to fly down the track into the 10's!! That's my plan skip 11's hahahaha

To Richard-
Loving the progress with the car bro it just keeps getting faster LOL!! Can't wait to see those 9 sec timeslip a soon from you, your very very close!! I'm planning to chase your times down but with my 5 speed haha! Can't wait to get the talon build done and on the street!! Will be watching the progress when you get back to the states bro, FWD DSM's represent LOL!!

Last edited:
ha thanks guys! I'll be back at the car in a couple weeks. It just needs to be put back together, then back on the dyno, then its off the the track again. I also got a new house with a 2 car garage so no more working on the car in the driveway haha.

95Dsmaniac- You're gonna need some slicks for sure if you want to get serious about your times. So far a 1.71 is my best 60ft with 26x8.5x15" slicks. It should be a lot better next time out though.

Going fast with the 5 speed is doable for sure. If I would have had a better clutch and the slicks I have now I think I would have been able to run mid 10s with this setup. Once my clutch went I had to decide if I wanted to get a twin disc or go built auto. It just made more sense to do the swap.

Dsmkauai- I know you're car has come a long way! I agree with you 100% a 1.7 60ft is all you need to get in the 10s. Good luck man and keep me posted!

Dsmkauai: it's ok, I take all the advice I can get. I have been to the track in a friends gsT and ran a 2.0 60' on street tires. I think my launching has improved drastically and I will be able to do it. And quite honestly I think I could have it 12s real easy if I wouldn't have had 4 boost leaks and crappy tires. I go to a lot of local events and have been racing a while just not in the strip. Not street racing either LOL it's more safer and professional , but is in the street. I don't know how to explain it LOL. But anyhow, I have gotten really serious about drag rs ing no accomplishing a lot. I have been following your build as well and admire your work. Only thing i don't like about your post is your doubting me bro LOL. Come on dont doubt me, I can do it. Just you watch and I will for sure show you all what I have been up to. I will start my build journal soon. I know I'm a youngster and new to the Dsm crowd but my heart and soul is into this and I won't settle for anything less than setting goals and achieving them. As always, your car is bad axx and I follow everything you do. Oh and also if you checked out my profile I already got some hoosier drags, so no street tires for me. Well I honestly don't know where you got street tires from, I never ran street tires at the track ever. I did however run BFG R1s which are auto x radials. But I get what you meant. My 60ft is killing me. Trust me, I am not blind to this and have already have been working on everything to get it right. Shit, I have spent 8-10k in a month not counting the other 10 on the previous build 5 months ago, so I think I'll be ready for the track to get some pretty good times. I am very confident! Your times on your S16g are incredible to say the least and is motivate to me as well as Richards times as always. Matter of fact, I'm going to go wrench on the car righ tone and try to put a dent in the wire tuck LOL.

Richard33: haha, I know slicks is what I need, but I got these hoosier drag radials with 15lb 16" Motegi racing rims for only 300 and purchased them when I was on my 20g and was only looking to making power in the 400s. If I knew my head gasket was going to go and I would be building the car I am building now, I would purchased slicks a long time ago LOL. I think I will get slicks by cmi and try them out if I finish my car before then. I was wondering what you would recommend for that too? Should I get 24.5" or should I just get the 26" ones? What width? I have a chance to get some local in Craigslist. I think if I remember correctly they are BNIB hoosier slicks 26.5x11x15. Dude said he cut 1.6 all day on his old ones in his supra. If this isn't appropriate for this thread let me know and ill pm you. Anyhow, can't wait for you to get back and show us more of this beast of a machine you call a car LOL. Any new plans for it? New parts or set up? Or keeping it the same and shooting for faster times on the auto?

Anthony B.

Last edited:
^^ Not that I'm doubting you bro, I just know what it takes to get good times with the fwd platform as does Richard, all the traction you can get!! That's why I didn't say anything else about your set up. I know what's holding you back and a good set of slicks are your best answer!! You may do slightly better on the dr's but I think you will still fight cutting the 60' you need to get the e.t.'s you want. And thanks for the kind words bro, will watch your build as well looking forward to the progress and to see you hit your goals!! :) I would grab a set of hossier qtp's for those 16" motegi rims!!

^^^^Haha thanks bro. I am actually trying to find some slicks as we speak and a good but cheap set of coilovers. The only reason I haven't gotten slicks too aside from the above mentioned is becaus ei don't know much about them yet. Like bias etc, I need to do more researchin what it all means. I also read on the nhra rules about certain classes when it comes to slicks, so I want to make sure I will be able to race at cmi and future events with the tires I buy because I know they ain't going to be cheap. I should be starting the build thread soon. I should be done with putting the car back to get her when I get the motor back next week. It was a pretty fast build. Took me about two months to do everything in my profile and now finishing up little here and there. Just finished porting and polishing my head yesterday and it looks nice, 1000grit really gives a mirror finish LOL. Anyhow, best of luck to you with anything you set for yourself to achieve.

Anthony B.

If you don't have an LSD, limiters and sway delete up front, stiff Springs out back and some rake yet.. you're leaving aloof on the table!

Richard, John - cars are looking good gentlemen! Can't wait to see some numbers when you guys are running again. I'm scrambling to get the tune in after we fix some contaminated Welds on my charge pipes. Looking forward to bouncing some questions off you guys as I work on the driver mood prior to turning the boost up. Should make some serious steam on a turbo/cam combo this size, just pushing spring pressure LOL

Richard33: haha, I know slicks is what I need, but I got these hoosier drag radials with 15lb 16" Motegi racing rims for only 300 and purchased them when I was on my 20g and was only looking to making power in the 400s. If I knew my head gasket was going to go and I would be building the car I am building now, I would purchased slicks a long time ago LOL. I think I will get slicks by cmi and try them out if I finish my car before then. I was wondering what you would recommend for that too? Should I get 24.5" or should I just get the 26" ones? What width? I have a chance to get some local in Craigslist. I think if I remember correctly they are BNIB hoosier slicks 26.5x11x15. Dude said he cut 1.6 all day on his old ones in his supra. If this isn't appropriate for this thread let me know and ill pm you. Anyhow, can't wait for you to get back and show us more of this beast of a machine you call a car LOL. Any new plans for it? New parts or set up? Or keeping it the same and shooting for faster times on the auto?

Anthony B.

Anthony, Those slicks are way too big! 11" wide wont fit and is just unnecessary. My slicks are 26x8.5x15. I think you should stick with a 26" tall tire. It is perfect for the gearing on a 2g FWD trans. I didnt have shift into 4th when I was running the 5 speed trapping around 140.

I've been building the car and throwing mods at it for years so it seems its always down for some reason or another. Im at the power level I wanted and I think for now I just want to get the car dialed in and actually enjoy it! Do some events at the track and take it for cruises on the street. The mods may come as needed, but for now Im shooting for a 9.xx pass with this current setup.

update! Finally I'm home and have been working on the car again. I got the head off to change the head gasket since last time out it was pushing a little bit on high boost. I also got my turbo rebuilt by jusmx, my shift box upgraded by forcedfour, and hawk hp plus brake pads installed. With these brake pads, my audi vacuum pump, and one other thing the car should stay at the line for days. Here's some pics of my parts out for the head gasket job and how my pistons look after about 5k miles and a quick wipe down.
parts_zps381c75a6.jpg

block2013_zps8e5af5b4.jpg

Car is ready to go. It made 620whp at 34lbs Thursday when I brought it in to check the tune and sync the timing. Its running great with no issues. I am going to get the car ready for this weekend now FL2k13.com. It should be fun running the 10.5 index class. After the event if the car makes it out alive, Ill go back to the track for that single digit pass.

I looked at my 10.2@141 log and I was leaving the line at just 4psi cutting a 1.71 so I think theres a lot more in the launch.

Bring that beast to MIR in Maryland in November for imports vs domestics:hellyeah::rocks::sneaky:

haha I dont think so. Its not in my travel budget LOL.

I just got home from FL2k13 in Bradebton FL. I signed up for the 10.5 index class to have some fun. My first testing pass I didnt touch anything just to see where it was at. Well, I ended up cutting my best 60' of 1.65, my best 1/8 of 6.62 and would have been a new best e.t. if it werent for the intercooler pipe that popped off. I hit the brakes and ended the run with a 10.4@111. Next pass I turned the boost down to 29lbs to try to get close to 10.50. I still went too fast with a 10.3@138. I was getting nervous cause the wastegate is 25lbs! I got up on the converter and got on the beams for my last pass. Right before I let off the brake the axle broke ending my day. Im pretty excited now because I know the car has 9s in it for sure.

I havent updated my page in a while! Ive been on the pursuit of that single digit pass for a couple months now. I was breaking passenger axles everytime out so I contacted CVJ axles (CVJ Axles - Remanufactured Axles & Power Racks) to build me some axles that will work. I also got a restalled converter from here- Florida Torque Converter I also had a dynatek arc 2 box start to fail on me last time out. I hopefully got all the issues squared away and it should be ready to rock. We are having some nice weather down here in South Florida so it should make for some good track conditions. In the 40s even!

The car is still running strong with the hx40 turbo and eagle/wiesco shortblock. The ATFspeed.com trans is still shifting as well LOL.
Some recent pictures of the car. Not much as changed though.

The car at the track with the slicks.
track1_zpsf528a5f9.jpg

My new garage with plenty of room to work the car now. No more drive way building LOL
garage1_zpsa4a9bed4.jpg

The speed holes. Its not done yet I have to get new matching hardware.
speedholes_zps5bdb2b2f.jpg

One of the axles I broke on the stall
axlesnap_zps4fd33a74.jpg

And the new CVJ axles before they went in.
axles1_zpsab270b4b.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back