The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Xona in a t4 housing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92GSXtacy

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2008
Sevierville, Tennessee
Planning on upgrading the current setup and was looking at the Xona line but can't find anyone using the t4 housings or posting results. Anyone have anything?

Fwiw, currently on a divided t4 setup and don't REALLY wanna swap the whole setup over to vband unless I HAVE too.

You could just do a divided to t3 adapter. I did the same years ago with a super99. Worked great.

Chris
I used to run an FP super99 with the t3 .85a/r turbine housing, and a shearer fab t3 header. I wanted to try a divided t4 turbine housing with the super99. My goal was to see if it would have better response and potentially make more power. I found some old pictures on the web showing that FP used to offer a divided t4 housing for the super99. I contacted them and they no longer offer this turbine housing. If you are dead set on it, maybe you can find a used one on a parts trader somewhere.

Adrianna Noonan, @Noliftnoonen, runs a Xona Rotor turbo but I couldn't find specs on what hot side they are using.

I know of 1 person who was running the open T4 housing with the xona 105-69 Kevin Collins. He has a divided mani but the turbine housing is open. He ran bottom 9s at 55psi. Kevin Jewer ran the gen 1 super99 to a 7.9 on the T3 housing maxed out at 54 psi with some nitrous on top and boostin ran an 8.1 back in 2013 boost unknown. I’m currently running the gen 1 super 99 with a divided t4 housing that I found in the classifieds. I’ve only had a few track outings nothing crazy 45 psi was good for 148mph at the traps. Extreme psi which I believe sponsors Tony’s car in some form actually is running a custom divided t4 housing from Tial on his xona 105. This is 100% a 1 of 1 situation. You may have some luck calling Tial to see if they’d make you one but I don’t see it happening. As far as the t3 housing you won’t run into back pressure issues at 45 psi on any of xonas turbos offered with that housing. I talked to Robert about it and he pretty much said divided t4 housings are for tractors. As far as the Tial vband housings go from all the results I’ve been seeing they seem to be the smart option in my own personal opinion. My next setup will be the 95 -69s with a vband housing that is a super responsive setup that makes gobs of power. You are correct on not much info out with people running the open T4’s it seems people stay quiet nowadays about setups and results.

Nothing crazy, but I've been 9.65 at 143 at 3300lbs at only 37psi with a t3 super99 on a divided t4 manifold with an adapter. Obviously, plenty of juice left in a super99 above 37psi. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Thanks guys! I was mostly worried about two things. Emap if I dumped down to a smaller t3 and not losing a ton of spool vs mph.

Current setup is a .91ar divided t4 on a manual car and it's not awfully laggy. Did manage to go 137 on baby cams and gate pressure. Swapped to a better suited cam and picked up 5mph to the 8th. So I'm definitely shooting for 150ish traps but...on an auto. I figure I'll need a bit more airflow to offset the driveline loss.

It seems I won't be giving up anything going to a .81 open ar 9569s. The AR is roughly the same size as my setup now (slightly larger) but the new wheel tech should easily offset that. Hell, I may pick up spool.

I do not have any EMAP data on the T3 FP super99 that I used to run. My intention with trying a divided housing was to experiment and see if it would help with response of the turbo. In my opinion the FP super99 was "laggy". Unfortunately for me I was never able to find a divided housing for the turbo. I am fully aware of all the success people have had with the super 99 turbo. My car (street dsm) went mid 9's at nearly 160 mph with it. It is a good unit, but I wanted to see if a twin scroll turbine housing setup would have been an improvement for my application/purposes.

It seems like the latest Fp turbine wheel design has the potential to benefit this combination. To my knowledge the Xona 105/96 turbo uses the same 72/99 (inducer/exducer) compressor wheel as the FP super99 did. However with the new Xona, they have attached that 72mm compressor to their UHF 78/69mm turbine wheel with the splitter blade design. Perhaps the 72/99 compressor has "design updates" or something when compared to the FP super99 I had, but I really don't know. If I would have stuck with a t3 setup, or gone to a v-band setup perhaps the XONA version would have been more responsive for me.

Third gear, 30psi was roughly 6900 rpm, 40 psi was around 7100 rpm. I just opened an old datalog from a good pass with the super 99 and that's what it shows. I did not achieve 160mph, but it was pretty close.

@erikoberdorfer 😂 mine probably wouldn't be much better with the Kelford 280s only being slightly smaller. But that spool was why I was looking at the 9569s. The new aero is supposed to have much better spool characteristics. If I could get 40 by 6500 or so combined with the additional airflow I'd be quite happy.

Chris,
I had a DBB PTE 6766 (.82 a/r t3 housing) on my car before the super99. With that turbo I actually had the fp11r exhaust cam in there with the 5r intake cam. My car is a street car and the 6766 was a fun street turbo, as it would hit boost pretty hard even with the big cams. When I switched to the super99, it lost that hit by a noticable amount. I tried a bunch of stuff to help it, and did see some improvements over time. I ended up putting a smaller fp5r exhaust cam in place and kept the 5r intake. It did help, but it wasn't ever as responsive as I would have liked. My thought was that maybe a divided housing would help it out. I never got to try it, but have since switched to a different setup that is a twin scroll or divided housing and so far am pleased with it. I want to stress that the FP turbo really is/was a good one, but I did notice it being kinda laggy for my setup. I think the newer XONA rotor combinations may have an opportunity to improve on that due to their updates to the turbine and other design parameters. Maybe you could call Robert at FP and ask him about what he recommends.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back