The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

hx40 in Garrett T4 housing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diehardmitsu

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 21, 2011
orlando, Florida
Well another question for you Holset guys.

I'm looking to put an HX40 on a Non DSM project. My header has a T4 flange.

I have a Garrett T4 housing that measures up very close to the Holset's turbine trim. It looks doable with a little machine work but I'm not certain if will work. Has anyone done this?

I"ve put them in T3 and 35R housings both..i've put both Hx40 and 35 turbines into the T3 5 bolt housing before.. Ive got posts up here about doing both of them

Yup.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^

That housing currently has a 7-blade HX40 in it, and is mounted to Paul's old Compound Twin setup on the new owner's car.

This is good news!
Does it require extensive machining to make an hx40 fit that housing? Any links or write ups on this kind of hybrid?
thanks

This is good news!
Does it require extensive machining to make an hx40 fit that housing? Any links or write ups on this kind of hybrid?
thanks

Guess if i would have had pictures what i said might have actually been heard.... Oh, and yes, it requires a few hours of machining in most cases, some easier than others

turboglenn said:
Ive got posts up here about doing both of them

Justin.. Itake i he didn't use that tial housing fromthe other thread on the 80lb/min setups???

What was that housing off of? I thought it as weird how much smaller the holset turbine was compared to that other housings minor diameter, i am still wondering if the major diameter of the holset wassmaller too or if it was bigger that's one hell of a trimon that turbine! Is paul documenting the new build anywhere? ihaven't seen anything on it

Justin.. Itake i he didn't use that tial housing fromthe other thread on the 80lb/min setups???
I'm not talking about Paul- just his former compound setup that was sold about a year ago.
What was that housing off of?
No clue, but it's a single-scroll T4 .96 housing...exactly like the one Paul was using on the Turbonetics 60-1 that blew repeatedly on the new owner. It was basically a drop-in replacement.

Guess if i would have had pictures what i said might have actually been heard.... Oh, and yes, it requires a few hours of machining in most cases, some easier than others

What was that housing off of? I thought it as weird how much smaller the holset turbine was compared to that other housings minor diameter, i am still wondering if the major diameter of the holset wassmaller too or if it was bigger that's one hell of a trimon that turbine! Is paul documenting the new build anywhere? ihaven't seen anything on it

I heard ya. Just trying to get as much info possible; this way, I only have to do it once.
thanks for posting pics.

haha. no problem, really how much work there is all depends on what housing you choose, to make it easiest and fastest it's best to choose a housing that was meant for a turbine with smaller diameters than the hx40 or whatever turbo you plan to put in it. that way you only have to enlarge and radius the inside. if you get one with larger diameters than your turbine wheel you'll have to fabricate and weld in sleeves to take up the dead space and then machine them tothe proper size/radius

which hotsides do you recommend using with hx35s and hx40s?

which hotsides do you recommend using with hx35s and hx40s?

IT's more about what you need to work with your setup, the T3 5 bolts from a T3 stage III wheel are teh easiest so far in my experience. BUt mostly the fitting of different housings to the turbos are to make them fit the car and be usable without having to go the standard route of the only 2 available bolt on housings and their 2 A/R's

Turboglenn, are you the one who machined that housing shown ^^ above?

Yea, I run a small fabrication shop from home, as well as doing custom car and motorcycle work

That is the turbo on my personal car actually and several thousand miles later it's still holding up perfectly. I've done 5 total to date, a few locally and 2 for guys here oin the forum..some where there's pics of one of the forum members hx40 that i stuffed into a GT35R turbine housing.

If you are looking to get one done shoot me a PM and we can work it out, I gladly do work for the mail order customers, and tuners members get it at a pretty discounted rate

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back