The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wrinkle valve cover write up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudie4

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 25, 2011
Riverside, California
So I just had surgery for a new ACL so I have a lot of time on my hands and I thought I'd do some fabrication to my extra valve cover. I've always been interested in those wrinkle look so I did a write up if anyone is interested.

-So to start off I took my backup valve cover the red lettering was already starting to come off and the grey wasn't looking so good either

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/05Gixxer/media/null_zpsc8debc5e.jpg.html]
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/URL]

-I filled a bucket with some degreaser and water and let it sit there for 10 min

-Dried it off with a towel and used tape to cover up all the holes

-After a heavy first coat

-Left outside in the sun for 5min before applying a heavy second coat, still no wrinkle

-Waiting 5 more min and you can see the wrinkles starting to form, this picture is before the third and final heavy coat

-Gave the valve cover 24 hours of sitting under the California sun and you can really see the texture

-Used a Dremel and razor blade to expose the lettering and arrows

-Purchased a small paint brush from a hobby store and red engine paint in a can for the lettering. Just sprayed some paint in an old cup and a steady hand. After drying this was the final result

-A before and after

You should sand it with 600 grit or a scotch brite pad before painting, otherwise that will flake off over time.

Here's mine; same stuff. After you drive it a couple times, it turns hard as nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to suggest the same as colt, your pics don't show any kind of prep work. I hope its just miising from the details. Or you will be redoing is very soon.

thanks everyone and yes i did prep it with some sandpaper dont know what happened to the pic but i only used 1k grit paper. Havnt installed yet

Damn, that sure beats sending it away to get done. Looks amazing. Well done and thanks for the how to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back