The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Wiring Innovate MTX-L Wideband

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pskop9

Probationary Member
May 9, 2011
Aurora, Colorado
Will the car operate normally if I wire the wideband to the ECU but don't have ECM link? I want to wire it into the rear O2 sensor. Also, my other question is, do i "tee" into rear O2 wire or just cut it and splice it so the wideband goes directly to the ecu?

Not sure exactly what you are asking but I think you want to know if you can simulate the front 02 sensor with your wideband without a tuning software. The answer to that is nope.

If you want to log your wideband through the rear 02 sensor, yes you can. I did it through evoscan and with the correct formula it should work no problem. You would have to splice into the rear 02 pin that goes into your ecu. However, if you don't have tuning software this may trigger your CEL.

Also, if you are trying to log, you could also pick up a serial to usb adapter to log your WB.

Couple of useful links:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/mtx-l-wb-as-front-o2.459913/
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-turbo-ecu-pinout-w-wire-colors.281763/
http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ge...band-formula-help-innovate-mtx-l-evoscan.html

No unless you enable narrowband sim with log works. If you do nothing your car won't run or if it does like crap. And you wire the wideband input straight to the ecu, do not splice/tee.
Will it run like crap even if it is wired to the rear o2?

i just basically want to wire it to the ecu now rather then when I get ECM link. CEL's don't bother me as long as it doesn't affect driveability

It will bro. The wideband reads a different signal than narrow. And your ecu is setup to see narrow band. Either hook it up so you can run narrowband sim. Or just wait and do it right when you get link. You can simulate your front O2 with the mtxl it's called narrowband sim! ;)

I dont think these guys understand what you are wanting to do. Yes you can wire it and run it with no problems besides triggering a CEL for the rear o2. The downstream o2 sensors are only for emissions/catalytic converter efficiency.

However, without ECMLink you wont be able to log your afrs. Also the Innovate mtx-l has a built in narrowband sim that you can wire directly to the front o2 at the ecu. You might have to go into logworks and adjust the slop/switchover point, but then again you might not even have to at all.

In other words, Only thing its going to do is trip a code if you wire it to the rear o2. Wont effect drivability.

If you want to simulate your factory O2 signal, you need to hook up the brown narrow band output from the MTX-L. Basically, you'll just wire this into the ECU just as the stock sensor is. If you filled out your damn profile and actually put what flavor of DSM you have, I could even tell you what pin to wire it into.

There are 2 additional things to consider when using an O2 sensor other than stock. The first being the output voltage of the aftermarket sensor. Since Innovate says their narrowband output is 0.1v - 1.1v, you should be fine since the factory sensor's output is ~0.2v - 0.7v. Just be aware, not all sensors are the same, and you may experience variation in your readings if the output voltage deviates too far from what the stock sensor output is. With tuning software, you can adjust these values. Without tuning software, you're at the mercy of whatever the sensor output is.

Second, the output wire that runs from the stock O2 sensor to the ECU is shielded for a better part of its path through the engine bay. I would recommend cutting the plug off an old O2 sensor, and wiring that into the new sensor. This way, you retain the shielding in the factory harness, and get the most accurate readings. It will it work by running a wire directly to the ECU, but it's not the best way IMO.

Most of that was regurgitated from this thread...Learn the search function well, and read up: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/innovate-mtx-l-wideband-question.487051/#post-153484552

Last edited:
Ok it all makes sense now. One last question. Is a relay necessary when installing this wideband? I was looking at the instructions and it shows a relay being used.

One last question. How did you route the wire on the gauge from the pillar down?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back