The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Who has successfully rebuilt their own AWD auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashedMatrix

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I’m thinking about rebuilding the automatic transmission for my AWD drag car. Transmission work is about the only thing I’ve never done on my cars. I want the experience so if something goes wrong I will have the knowledge to troubleshoot and repair it quickly. I have the service manual, exploded diagrams, and rebuild documentation. I also watched all of the IPT videos on YouTube, thanks John!

Who here has done it? What special tools should I get? Any tips and tricks?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you. Recently started looking in to transmissions mods and freshening up the transmission but I have never cracked it open. There are some great aftermarket options for the auto with billet gears, billet baskets, clutch packs, overdrive clutches, valve body mods, ect. Would be nice to get a centralized thread about installing these parts in the auto and real life results. Every auto mod thread dies off quickly without a ton of info...

Yeah, it would be nice to have a complete disassembly and rebuild video on YouTube showing the common problems to look for and installing the upgraded parts.

Hey guys,

Here to say go for it! I had no Trans experience at all whatsoever besides changing a clutch or two. I built my whole auto Trans in my basement and it was easy peazyy!

Make sure everything goes back in the right direction, double, triple check. I put one "coned washer" in upside down.. Had to pull it all over again to correct that.

Take your time and with instructions from IPT and others you can do it.

Is there any preload/backlash you have to set on anything in the trans? If so, what tool do you use for setting that?

Idk if there are any preloads going on in the trans but I'd imagine there would be, and that seems like the hardest thing to set/check.

Is there any preload/backlash you have to set on anything in the trans? If so, what tool do you use for setting that?

Idk if there are any preloads going on in the trans but I'd imagine there would be, and that seems like the hardest thing to set/check.

You use solder when measuring preload on bearings. Use 3 pieces each bearing. Solder get squeezed when you tighten and then take apart again and measure.

You use solder when measuring preload on bearings. Use 3 pieces each bearing. Solder get squeezed when you tighten and then take apart again and measure.

Basically like using a plasti-gauge? Since there are different materials in solder used for soldering different metals, will this affect how the solder is compressed when measuring preload? I know this may not matter since it's only a couple lbs of pressure but would just like to clarify if there is a certain solder you should generally use.

Also, how much compression determines the amount of preload? Or will the FSM designate these values?

As I understand it you want solid core solder in an appropriate diameter. you don't want to be using 1/8" solder to measure .010.

You're going to crush it and then measure the crushed thickness. The preload comes from adding to that thickness when you select the shims to be used.

Rosin core may rebound and give you incorrect measurements.

Checking\Setting the preload using solder and Checking\Setting the backlash with an dial indicator is outlined in the Factory service manual.

Last edited:
Where’s the best place to purchase the parts for a complete rebuild these days?

Aside from the master rebuild kit what other parts are recommended? Bushings, bands, etc.

If you want it to work right and last I would send it to someone that rebuilds auto's, theres a reason that it cost what it does to rebuild them, it is an expertise and 99% of dealerships anymore dont even mess with them because they dont have a transmission tech on board, they just buy a rebuilt unit. A person can get lucky and have one work, but I can tell you that its generally a matter of time before it fails if its not done by an experienced guy, like it or not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back