The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Break in period for a rebuilt Auto trans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipsei95cl

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 26, 2003
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey I just got my tranny fully rebuilt cause my ghey ass level 10 tranny caked out on me..Well I just got a full overhaul IPT rebuild kit put in, Brand new stock Torque converter, and a new tranny pump and was wondering how many miles should i allow for the break in period??? Im plannin to go to the track soon and i dont wanna run it hard if the trans isnt broke in yet..So anyone know of how many miles i should baby the trans before releasing hell on it?

There's nothing to really break in....
I was beating on my car from the moment I left IPT, granted I didn't brake-torque more than 2-3 times in a row, as heat kills the trans, but I wasn't taking it easy.
If there's a problem, you'd find out right away.
Just out of curiousity, who are you guys that just buy the IPT rebuild kits getting to install them for you??
I do all my own work on my car, minus the trans. When I saw how many parts there were that could detonate the whole trans if not installed properly, I was glad I don't work on it.
Mike

We have a local auto transmission guy here in town..He definitley knows his stuff he has built countless GTP Transmissions for couple of guys i know and they run in the 10s..Im not to sure on his dsm tranny knowledge but from all the gtp guys runnin 10s and say that guy knows his trannys..It only cost me 800 bucks for him to install everything. There would be no way i could afford to send my tranny to john and spend like 2800 bucks for ipt to do, no matter how much i want too.. i just cant see myself spending that kind of money when i can have someone do it for half the price..I mean it might not be everything IPT does in there rebuild but good enough for the price of 800 bucks..

-I should ve gotten a manual... TRE is a 30 minute drive LOL....Lucky for u guys that live around IPT u can save some money.

Sounds good, I hope everthing works out for you, and that you don't have to spend the 800 multiple times. :p
Mike

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back