The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Which / What Oil Should I Use? [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You recommend the oil that was found to strip\break gears at hp levels?

The link is wrong but no I did not recommend Shockproof.

The link is supposed to be 75-140-NS.

I fixed the link to point to the right fluid.

Wow this is some crappy news. I have $100 of light weight to put into my trans, t-case, and rear that Shep recommended for my hp levels.

It gets me tho why shep would recommend that. 6-700whp is what I'm looking at and I'm sure ill find out what that lightweight has to say to the gears.

It gets me tho why shep would recommend that. 6-700whp is what I'm looking at and I'm sure ill find out what that lightweight has to say to the gears.

When did he tell you that? There have been a lot of breakthrough within the last year or so.
We have a few Evo transmissions here that have stripped gears in cars that were running shockproof.

You think gear oil can be blamed completely on any give tranny failure?(i.e. Gear stripping??) I would have to see 2 brand new oem trannys driven exactly the same with exact hp/tq application to be completely convinced. I know some are better than others but the oil literally causing a ripped gear?? I dont know alot about transmissions but without a controlled study i have to remain a touch skeptical.

The guy who builds the trannys is who i would tend to agree with. IMO

You think gear oil can be blamed completely on any give tranny failure?(i.e. Gear stripping??) I would have to see 2 brand new oem trannys driven exactly the same with exact hp/tq application to be completely convinced. I know some are better than others but the oil literally causing a ripped gear?? I dont know alot about transmissions but without a controlled study i have to remain a touch skeptical.

The guy who builds the trannys is who i would tend to agree with. IMO

You do realize that the guy who is building all these transmission is the one that's finding the stripped gears?

How can you a person that says they don't know anything about transmissions seem to think the information I am telling people is wrong?

Amsoil Dominator 15w50 racing oil for me.
Great for cold and hot weather conditions as well.:thumb:

Redline mt90 in built tranny

Mix of Redline light and heavy in my transfer case and diff.

I have used Mobil 1 and Castrol full synthetic no issues, but I personally use Castrol full synthetic on a regular basis, my dad always used it and never had any issues. and so far I have had no issues with it ether.
we replace it every 3 1/2 to 4 thousand miles, as for weight 10w40 or higher I have never gone thiner then 10w30.
along with the filter we often use the wix, K&N, mobil 1, stp, or bosch.

Don't use Fram or OReillys micro guard PH3950 filters!!!!
I have cut open all of these filters personally, and of all of them the Fram/ micro guard ones looked to be the worst construction wise.

Sometimes mobile 1 causes lifter tick, Castrol synthetic never has so I tend to use Castrol over Mobil 1, thats just me though.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back