The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Which way do thrust washers go in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96dsmftw

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2011
Richmond, Kentucky
I need to know how the thrust washers go in (3-piece) and any other installation tips for them. They fell out while I was turning the crank before I could get a chance to look at them. I have looked through this http://www.scribd.com/doc/17887620/9799ECB and through my hanes manual and through a lot of posts. A lot of crankwalk talk but not how these suckers go in. I would assume the sides with the grooves goes in towards the crank, but this is not a part of the rebuild where I will assume. Also what sides get assembly lube or does the whole thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Oiling grooves go toward the crank, as that's how oil moves down the bearing to get to the entire surface of the crank thrust flange. Also pre-lube the sides that go against the crank, the ones with the oiling grooves.

Thank you for the reply. I got them in and everything torqued down. However, I was cleaning the cylinder walls when I saw the situation in the pictures. I can see more of the belt side thrust washer than the flywheel side thrust washer. It looks like the crank is not centered, off to the timing belt side. I measured the space between crank and block and feeler gauges and got 0.006 on the flywheel side and 0.035 on the belt side. Is this normal, because it looks out of place to me.

Attachments

• BELT SIDE.jpg
    BELT SIDE.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 330
  • FLYWHEEL SIDE.jpg
    FLYWHEEL SIDE.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 196
I can not move the crank by hand. I had to pry it back and forth to get the feeler measurements. It also spun nice and free through all three stages of torquing. It just looks weird, maybe because pressure plate pressure is pushing from that side?

I think I checked the crank play right. I used feeler gauges to measure in-between the washer and the crank surface when I pried both ways. Got about 0.002 so it was good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back