The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Which oil filter should I use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERJ-145 driver

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2015
Oceanside, California
Hello everyone,

So I have a 2g with a 6 bolt bitten end and a 7 bolt head. I believe it’s a 1g OFH. Just wanted some advice on her filter I should be using since they both thread on with no issues.

Thanks
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I went and about an OEM oil filter seems to be a good choice. Been reading a lot on other threads and from other car guys in my area about the oil to use. I’m highly considering Brad Penn 20W50.

This thread made me go look up the micron rating for the Mahle filters we use. Apparently there is an “efficiency” rating that is important in filters too. The “absolute” micron rating is the one the manufacturers are supposed to be publisizing.

Here’s the explanation:
https://www.ecogard.com/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/

My wonder is, as I do not know the ratings, are Wix filters actually better than OEM in any meaningful way? I would switch easily if there were a reason.

I think they are much better than OEM & I switched to them a long time ago. They spec 20µm particulate as opposed to the OEM 40µm & the flow rate is much faster flow rate from more sq. in. of the pleated filtering media, steel relief spring & silicone flow back gasket. They don't use carboard in the construction inside like the other cheap brands. I buy the bigger, early 1G filters for my 2G's.

Ive never seen so much bickering about something so simple LOL Wix is a great filter....not sure how you think its not a "name brand". Like others said..youre overthinking things. Use WIX and call it a day.

Ok so I looked a little deeper.
Wix lists as a 20 micron nominal rating but no absolute. OEM filters also have a steel relief spring and silicone check valve from all the ones I have cut open. However, OEM MZ690116 is 40 nominal and while I dont know the flow rate, the filtering surface area IS less than the Wix so chances are the flow rate is measurably less. More flow is good.

Without absolute ratings from either it is hard to know what is filtered the other 50% of the time. 20 micron 50% of the time says nothing about larger particles, but likely still better than OEM now that I really read into it.

Perhaps I do need to switch.

Ok so I looked a little deeper.
Wix lists as a 20 micron nominal rating but no absolute. OEM filters also have a steel relief spring and silicone check valve from all the ones I have cut open. However, OEM MZ690116 is 40 nominal and while I dont know the flow rate, the filtering surface area IS less than the Wix so chances are the flow rate is measurably less. More flow is good.

Without absolute ratings from either it is hard to know what is filtered the other 50% of the time. 20 micron 50% of the time says nothing about larger particles, but likely still better than OEM now that I really read into it.

Perhaps I do need to switch.
Frame Ultras are better. 10 microns at 94% efficiency. 99% at 20 microns. But in all honesty, a bypass system is best if your looking for the best filtration.

personally id rather have a non bypass oil filter, so i can ensure all oil is filtered and clean, and monitor pressure post-filter to verify if im losing pressure. this wont monitor flow per-se, but we cant do that as of now anyway. we already have a pressure relief in the OFH for non-filtered oil, i would prefer my filter didnt do the same if it gets a little clogged and sends any debris to my bearings or turbo. when set up correctly, and regular oil changes/inspections are done, there shouldnt be a problem.

personally id rather have a non bypass oil filter, so i can ensure all oil is filtered and clean, and monitor pressure post-filter to verify if im losing pressure. this wont monitor flow per-se, but we cant do that as of now anyway. we already have a pressure relief in the OFH for non-filtered oil, i would prefer my filter didnt do the same if it gets a little clogged and sends any debris to my bearings or turbo. when set up correctly, and regular oil changes/inspections are done, there shouldnt be a problem.

It wouldn't work. There woudnt be enough flow and extreme backpressure. That's why people use secondary bypass systems(full flow filters), mostly in diesels. An oil filter is bypassing a lot more oil then you think. On cold start up the bypass valve is wide open and at WOT too.

It wouldn't work. There woudnt be enough flow and extreme backpressure. That's why people use secondary bypass systems(full flow filters), mostly in diesels. An oil filter is bypassing a lot more oil then you think. On cold start up the bypass valve is wide open and at WOT too.

Interesting, I haven't done tons of research on the subject, but it's good info.

Doth we even know for certain that NAPA Gold are still made by Wix with their standards?

I REALLY should have thrown a couple Wix in my RockAuto order this year.. 1/3 the cost as locally if not less and Amazon is over $15, though thats only a couple bucks more than the dealer.

edit: actually it is still cheaper to order a Wix 51381 through rockauto and have it shipped across the border than trying to get one here, and no contest if i order 2 or more.
what. the. hell.
man we get screwed on everything.

Last edited:
If you buy any type of filter that uses what I call louvers (instead of round holes) in the center tube, take a close look at the louvers to make sure they are actually open a decent amount. Louvers are Ok, they just are more susceptible to tooling that is dull, worn out, not perfect in some way, during manufacturing. A hole is a hole, but with these louver things, if the tooling isn't real precise you can wind up with metal that is only stretched, not really open.
Take a look at one I bought a few years ago and took some good pictures of, posted in Evom in 2014, here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...sults-thread-4g63t-4b11t-17.html#post11323048

Be sure to bring these 2 pics up to full size, otherwise you can't see much. Post #245.

Doth we even know for certain that NAPA Gold are still made by Wix with their standards?

I REALLY should have thrown a couple Wix in my RockAuto order this year.. 1/3 the cost as locally if not less and Amazon is over $15, though thats only a couple bucks more than the dealer.

edit: actually it is still cheaper to order a Wix 51381 through rockauto and have it shipped across the border than trying to get one here, and no contest if i order 2 or more.
what. the. hell.
man we get screwed on everything.

Not too sure if anything has changed, but when I worked for NAPA years back WIX were the makers of Napa Gold filters.

Yeah I just wasnt sure if that was the case still since M&H's acquisition of Wix's parent company in 2016. Perhaps the relationship ended and they stopped making white box filters for Napa afterwards.

Either way, having a Wix shipped from rockauto across the border is still less than a Napa Gold here.

Its a bit late but my input is this,

I started off on fram swapped to royal purples, then to magnus/china filter and then to oem evo filters.

The royals are nice and strong and may go back to these,

The mitsu ones are also good and do what mitsu wanted them to do.

Frams were just a small period but seemed ok.

The magnus was another thing. They are not made by them and imported in from china as i found out, the glue inside for the magnet broke in a few places letting it float around and glue went in places but was found and saved, the seal is nice and if its not done up tight will come loose on you.

For ease of use just swapping filters is easier then cleaning one out and reusing it. So for that get a mitsu one or rp unit

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back