The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which oil filter should I use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volkerding95GSX

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
I searched but the only thread I could find was from 2003. I'm sure someone will find one for me as this is probably a common newb question. ANYWAYS:

I'm switching from Mobile1 motor oil to Brad Penn 10w-30. I'm asking your opinion on which oil filter I should use. I have a small 16g and my mod list is current.

I have been using the K&N oil filter, but I think I remember hearing something bad about them somewhere? Just wanted to check to see what you guys think is best before I changed my oil.

Thanks, as always! :thumb:

I use the OEM filters from the dealership, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy instead. They cost like six bucks and they have that anti-drain back valve that supposedly helps with lifter tick; can't go wrong.

Awesome, thanks guys. OEM it is.

I went to buy it at STM tuned and they have an option to include a OEM Mitsubishi Crush Washer for Oil Drain Bolt for 2 extra bucks.

What is that and do you recommend it?

I have a oem new drain bolt and washer for when I do my oil change in a few months, I just like oem stuff. I have a nylon washer I got from Autozone on there now and it doesn't leak.

Either way, you need something on there because just the bolt alone will leak.

Whatever brand you choose, just make sure its a '91 DSM filter. They are like twice the size of the 2g filters. ;)

I say whatever brand except fram, of course.

Fram, I like the grippy part on the end for tightening/loosening.

Yeah that's cool and all, but cut one open and see it has about half the ammount of pleats as, for say, a wix brand. More pleats means better filtration. :thumb:

I just get the highest quality filter available. Usually napa gold or wix. OEM would be nice but I don't want to drive all the way to the dealership only for a filter.

I only run OEM Denso's, Napa Golds or Wix's. I'm fairly certain Napa Golds are relabeled Wix filters. Atleast thats what a rep at Napa told me. Lately I've been running Napa Golds since I haven't ordered any OEM filters. Dealership is about 50 miles away.

Fram are literally the worst oil filters made.

I went to look @ a sketchy sounding 1g once. I popped the hood, COP, redneck rigged intake, vented ebay blow off valve, AND a fram oil filter. As soon as I saw that orange grippy ended sunbitch I just said, oh a fram and dropped the hood. Got in my car and left.

I literally had a fram fall apart on me in my first car a few days after buying it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back