The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Where Do You Supply Your Tools From?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snap-on for the most part but thats bc I do this for a living as well. If you're just a weekend warrior I'd goto lowes and buy some kobalt or craftsman wrenches and sockets. Then goto harbor freight for breaker bars, dead blow hammers the stuff you can't get at lowes.

also the reason I say don't buy sockets and wrenches from harbor freight is that the wrenchs spread apart easy and the sockets snap. No one likes busted knuckles.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all personal preference. However I agree with @Hickory-NC-2Ggsx to avoid sockets/wrenches from Harbor Freight. They're a great choice for anything that loose tolerances won't cause an issue (hammers, breaker bars, even their ratchets aren't too bad).

If you have the money, go for the same brands that have traveling storefronts that visit auto shops: Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Cornwell, etc. Just know that you WILL pay a premium for those brands.

Harbor freight impact sockets in my toolbox have been going 15 years strong now. I don't mind their other tools for an emergency, keep-in-the-car, situations.
For the most part, I have been in the mindset of buy the cheap tool. If it doesn't perform, buy the expensive one.
Most of my toolbox is GearWrench for hand tools, and Milwaukee for power tools. I rarely use air tools anymore, but when I do, it's my Ingersoll Titanium Max 1/2" impact.

I only own one snap-on tool and it is a 1/2" torque wrench for lug nuts. I got used to using them at work, and so I got one for my garage. Otherwise, I stay away from them.

Things I DO NOT but from harbor freight:
Pry bars (they just bend. Wtf?)
Drill bits that I want to use more than once
Torque wrenches (maybe they're okay, but I don't want to risk it.)

For apples to apples comparisons of tools, check out Project Farm on YouTube.

Mix of Snap-On/Blue-Point, Cornwell, Craftsman, Ryobi, DeWalt, and some cheaper parts-store tools like Stanley and Kobalt. Been doing automotive work since 2002, so I've collected a lot from a lot of different jobs. I'm no longer doing automotive work professionally, but still fix my own cars, my wife's car, and some for a few friends and family. Can still never have enough tools.

Although I have occasionally gotten some smaller items from Home Depot and Lowes, like bits and adapters, I've bought most of my tools from Sears, Amazon, Harbor Freight and the occasional GearWrench from Advance Auto. I try to get the best tool I can afford and justify, but it's rarely truly high-end, as I'm just a weekend wannabe amateur mechanic.

I've been happy with most of my purchases, but I've also done a fair amount of research first. Like, I was going to get a cheapo torque wrench from HF until l read all the bad reviews about how they might be accurate but they also break often and result in snapped bolt heads, so I got several Tektons and comparable wrenches instead on Amazon, and have yet to snap a bolt.

Although I'm pretty new to car repair and maintenance, I've been maintaining my road bikes for decades and even built up my current one myself from custom-selected parts, and have a pretty decent selection of tools by now that have served me well, also carefully researched and bought, so I assume that the same approach works for car tools, home tools, carpentry tools, etc.

Good luck and whatever the site's resident experts advise, take it seriously.

I shop the pawn shops. You'd be surprised what shows up there at a bargain or negotiable price. :)
I do own Craftsman but there are amazing deals in our pawn shops. One of the 1st things people pawn is.....tools. :shhh:

Most of my tools are Mastercraft ..A Canadian Tire store brand ...I have had no problems with them and guaranteed for the life of the tool. I had to replace a screwdriver a friend was using as a chisel .. I had no recite but the name MasterCraft was on the handle so they replaced it. They never even asked me what happened to it.. Good guarantee... .

I liked craftsman before they sold out to China. You can find vintage made in USA stuff on eBay, Craigslist etc. I had some facom ratchets awhile back. Liked those but lost them before I got long term with them. Pricey too.
When you have to have something better suck it up and buy it. Mitutoyo, Klein, snap on etc. Particularly with electrical and precision stuff. Boy I hate to think what I own and what I've spent.

Honestly I started with Craftsman when I was in Tech. but I could not afford it at the time so I had to return my tools. Now I have a hodge podge of Husky, Kobalt, and what ever else I can find at decent price with the most bang for my buck. I just check all the reviews a good tool is a good tool regardless of where it comes from I look for quality and lifetime warranties because I dont like buying stuff over and over and over again.

I prefer Matco over the other premium name brands and have quite a bit of tools from them, including a box and rollcart. However that’s not to say I don’t have a mixture of all the previously mentioned tools. It’s kinda whatever works and is available. Also anything Matco/snap on that’s obviously just rebranded and marked up for the name I have no issues paying less in that case- like a mighty vac brake vacuum bleeder or something like that.

Being a wrench turning by trade, mine are Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, and Milwaukee. I am retired now so if I need anything I go to Northern tool. Harbor Freight has some decent tools but if it involves my knuckles I'll buy better stuff.

I personally love Husky from home depot. Where I live there are 4 home depots within a 15 min drive from each other. This makes getting them and replacing them so easy. Sears stores are all closing down and Lowes Craftsman section is garbage in NY. I have never had an issue with Husky and my friends often say how nice my tools are even compared to the snap on and mac tools they use at work.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back