1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

What's the consensus on shifter base bushings?

Posted by MindBlowin03, Dec 14, 2013

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. MindBlowin03

MindBlowin03 Proven Member

Joined Apr 11, 2002
    Peckville, Pennsylvania
    I remember using both a homemade setup and 'kit' back in the day(around 2000 or so) but thought it made everything more notchy and ended up taking them out. I have never bothered to used them since. Is everyone still doing this mod and what is the consensus on them?

2K  5

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

3K  10

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    608 whp · 510 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. blkgst97

blkgst97 Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2009
    Bonney Lake, Washington
    I have the symborski kit with metal bearings at the ends of the shifter cable. Nice solid feel with no slop. I thought it was worth it.

2K  5

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. dsmcrzy

dsmcrzy Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2009
    Trenton, Ohio
    I was very skeptical at first. Like really how can that possibly help?!?

I did the diy method with Home Depot washers. All I have to say is holy crap I wish I did it sooner. Between that, roller blade bearings at the tranny and a short throw shifter it is very solid!!!

I would recommend doing this for sure!!

Street Build 4K  12

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. boost97gst

boost97gst Proven Member

Joined Apr 2, 2012
    st jacob, Illinois
    It DOES matter. You will notice a difference. I remember buying a full set of aluminum base bushings and cable/tranny bushings on ebay for...shit, not more than 25 bucks. Just took me a little while longer to install the base bushings.

5. crimsondragon

crimsondragon Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2006
    Phillipsburg, New Jersey
    I got shifter base bushings, bearings on both ends of the cables, and solid aluminum spacer on the cable brackets. Don't know how it was stock as I was AT before I swapped it over but it feels extremely good.

Street Build 2K  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. Blu92

Blu92 Proven Member

Joined Aug 20, 2011
    Dale City, Virginia
    I'm happy with mine. If it feels too notchy for you I know Road Race Engineering offers urethane ones.

7. estoyaqui30

estoyaqui30 Proven Member

Joined May 26, 2003
    Somerset, New Jersey
    I'm using the symborski kit for ages, it made it seem much more responsive and tight. I was using the "skate wheel bearing" on the transmission end of the shifter cable, but it almost cost me a transmission when they rusted onto the shift lever. Now I have delrin cable bushings on the cable ends. Really tight linkage now, no slop at all.

8. TheMadCheshire

TheMadCheshire Proven Member

Joined Mar 8, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    I went the fender washer route. Found fender washers for under, normal washer for in the middle and 2 more fender washers for the top. I love the positive feel they give. Also have the bearings in my linkage ends. I put a slight layer of silicone on them every so often and have never had a rust issue(6 plus years). If they feel too notchy, try loosening all of the base bolts and shift the base. You will get a slight amount of movement which will help center the linkage and make it shift smoother. May take a few try's to get it right.

483  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.237 @ 100.530 · 1G DSM
  9. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    I have the Symborski kit and the shifter cable bearings from Mach V. Both are great mods. Done it on my current Spyder and my past 2 DSMs. Will continue doing it on all future DSMs.

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  10. TsiTuner

TsiTuner Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2001
    Somewhere, Louisiana
    I like the shifter mods. I have the extremepsi version of the symborski kit and some brass shifter cable bearings from ebay. Its worth it in my opinion since our transmissions are sloppy from the factory

608  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  11. TurboLaserRS

TurboLaserRS Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just got shifter cable bushings from "JAT Performance" off ebay, they were 20 bucks and are anodized aluminum, or steel. (Can't remember, doesn't matter- LOL). I did a shifter refresh by buying all the factory shifter parts from one of our supporting vendors, and am complimenting it with these solid 'bushings'. I'm hoping for a much more direct and positive shift feel. Even though I haven't installed them. Just seeing the difference putting new factory stuff in made I really don't see how there could be much if any downside to this.

2K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    11.128 @ 132.500 · 1G DSM
  12. lewishamilton

lewishamilton Proven Member

Joined Oct 11, 2011
    Here, Maryland
    Any info on that spacer?

822  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM