1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G ABS Shifter Base Bushings?

Posted by Kai Hefner, Nov 13, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    While I wait for the bumper risers to print on my larger printers, I've been doing a bit of work making shifter base bushings on the smaller printer.
    I've got a perfect fit now, but I'm wondering, would it be bad to run ABS shifter base bushings for any reason? I've noticed that a lot of shifter base kits are aluminum or some type of metal. Is there any benefit to making them out of ABS besides them being negligibly lighter?

Street Build 393  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 658  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    If you can keep the 3D printed bushings from breaking down I can't think other reasons from making them that way. PETG might be another option.

The factory parts are some type of rubber for NVH reasons and the drawback is movement.

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
    rabenne likes this.
  3. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Obviously I haven't tested them but I can't think of any reason that they would break down. Stock is already that garbage rubber thing, I feel like metal is almost overkill?

How close-fit do the metal ones get? Do they have a tiny bit of play once you pop them in?

Street Build 393  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 658  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Freelancer

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Thanks for the thread! Road Race Engineering used to offer a urethane bushing? If I'm not mistaken ABS and urethane are pretty similar in their applications. Although I don't think an ABS bushing could push itself to be in a suspension component.

Street Build 393  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 658  2

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. rabenne

rabenne Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2006
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Urethane is generally much more flexible than ABS. If we evaluate them both on the Shore Harness A scale, Urethane can range from 30A to 100A (and probably higher) while the ABS will almost always exceed 95A. That said, I think ABS will probably work fine for the shifter bushings. PETG, as mentioned, would also be a decent choice. PETG is very easy to print if the part has no bridging... like these bushings.

I think they will work either way. I personally have aluminum bushings on the shifter base plate. They do fit with a bit of "slop" - that is to say they are not a press fit or anything. Tightening the bolts down to the chassis still allows them to clamp tight and allow no free play or flex.

Street Build 239  5

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 183  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 7K  9

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 2G DSM