The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A What Engine would be compatible with a 1997 Eclipse GS Automatic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTVxIndicaxHigh

Probationary Member
Oct 8, 2021
Glasgow, MT, Montana
So the other day i picked up a 1997 Eclipse GS for 500 dollers. Upon paying Montway $1359 for shipping. The engine has a rod knock an the only way is to do a engine swap.

What engines would be compatible with my 1997 Eclipse GS. I would like to be able to put on a Turbo in the future. Or purchase a 100K 420A for $300 from somebody in minot, ND. I have found a AGM Induction + Dual Exhuast & Megan Engine Manifold previously installed on the 201K 420A with the ROD Knock.

I also need a battery mount sense it was missing when i opened the hood.

If you want to turbo in the future why not just rebuild what you have? I beleive 96 through 99 engines were the same. On my 95 I had to rewire some things for my 96 engine. I know 95 and 96 were odd years, for sure 97 through 99 would be straight swaps. Other members would know more than me.

The 2 liter in Neons has a different cylinder head than the Eclipses. Exhaust on firewall side and intake towards the front of the car. The block is identical though. I personally swapped over to a Neon block. You need to use the Eclipse head, intake, exhaust, crank pulley, and accesories.

Does that mean I could put a neon in my GS
As @BLACK'98DSM said. The short block neon engine is the same. So yes you can put a neon short block in your car but you will have to take the top end (Head, intake, exhaust, ect) off of your old engine and put it on the neon short block

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back