The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Valve guide help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

assault187

15+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2005
Horsham, Pennsylvania
I was checking out my head and noticed that the valves have a bit of movement when extended (cams installed) How much movement is normal? At what point should I replace the valve guides? What type material is best for replacement valve guides? and last but not least, what specs should I abide by if I were to replace the guides? I found a valve guide height of 19.5 - 19.9mm from the top of the valve guide to the spring seat and valve to guide clearnace at .02-.05mm intake and .05-.09mm exhaust, are these accurate specs?

I have researched the subject and didnt find much but I did read that bronze guides wear much faster then the OEM guides....any idea how much faster?

I know it alot of questions .....Thanks for the help

could someone atleast tell me how I can measure the I.D. of the valve guides?

To measure the I.D. of the valve guides using a small bore gauge and a micrometer, measure the top and bottom of the valve guides, this will give you the bellmouth wear for the guide. There will be a spec for max wear allowed, but that I don't know offhand. You can measure the diameter of the valve, the valve guide i believe should be about .002 or .003 bigger than the valve, again, those numbers may be a little off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back