The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

vacuum hose and external wastegate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsx20g

Probationary Member
Mar 2, 2003
San Angelo, Texas
I am installing a new turbo with a Tial external wastegate and was wondering if anyone could help me with the vacuum hoses that go to the ebc. Do I leave the top port of the wastegate open or not? Also, where do I connect the vacuum port off the intake housing of the turbo? I've heard different points of view and am trying to clear things up, so any help would be appreciated!

I don't know about your specific boost controller, but I do know that the top port of the wastegate on a Tial is designed to keep the wastegate closed on an electronic setup.
It does nothing to open the wastegate. It keeps the wastegate from opening prematurely, and its generally the principle that allows most electronic boost controllers to tout faster spoolup from their devices.

The nipple on the side is used to open the wastegate, which is how mine is run with a MBC, and it's what you would use if you don't want to make use of the dual port setup.

Generally, dual solenoid EBC run boost to the top port to keep it fully closed, and suddenly shift the pressure to the side port to suddenly open the wastegate for the shortest possible spool time. I think it's why a lot of people think that external gates give better response. Dual ports I suppose can and should make a difference if hooked up correctly, theoretically anyway.

If you have an electronic boost controller with dual solenoid control, you can, but don't have to, connect both ports, but first it's important that you realize what each port does.

If you connect the dual setup incorrectly, your wastegate won't open and you will overboost.
Likewise, if you have the solenoids and ports hooked up correctly but the settings on the EBC are wrong, you'll again wish you'd have stayed with the side port.

The single port setup, the side port, will run "like" an internal wastegate (as far as routing and general setup).
I believe single solenoid controllers can only make use of the side port.

Not specifically helpful, but just what I can contribute...

So it sounds like it might be safer to just use the side port? Also, what about the port off the turbo?

I've checked out the tial website already, but there are so many people who tell me to leave the top port open instead. That's what I am confused about. I've also looked at the Apex instructions and that seems pretty straight forward except they tell you to use the top port also. Anyone out there using an AVCr with an external wastegate that might be able to help me. Thanks for the help!

gsx20g said:
what about the port off the turbo?

There is very little difference if any between using either the turbo or the intake as pressure source unless you have a huge boost leak some where in between, in which case using the turbo oulet nipple will help protect the turbo a little from over boosting. In your case I would use which ever has a shorter route to the ebc.

rsunahar said:
but I do know that the top port of the wastegate on a Tial is designed to keep the wastegate closed on an electronic setup.
The nipple on the side is used to open the wastegate.
I always though it was just the opposite... I though the top port was for MBC's and the side port was optional.... I just got this diagram off of Tial's website and it seems to contradict your statement.... :confused:

Attachments

• WG_Install_Diagram.gif
    WG_Install_Diagram.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 6,423
99gst_racer said:
I always though it was just the opposite... I though the top port was for MBC's and the side port was optional.... I just got this diagram off of Tial's website and it seems to contradict your statement.... :confused:

There's an or statement on both the boost controller and wastegate.
The top port says vent to air OR....

You can try it that way if you like.
I have a 38mm Tial, and I have mine hooked up to the side port because I have an MBC.

I may have it hooked up wrong, but it works for me.
I'm pretty sure my way is right.
I took apart my Tial, and there's no way the top port could PULL open the diaphragm.
There's nothing on the top of the cup that will pull it open.

You can leave it open. I went through all of this a couple weeks ago with my Tial46.

99gst_racer said:
So, you have a vac line that runs from your pressure source directly to the side port, with an inline MBC, right? And you have nothing hooked up to the top port? Are you supposed to plug it or just leave it alone?

Yes, but if I had a dual solenoid boost controller, I'd hook the top port up to fully maximize spool up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back