The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Turbo Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
Ok my goal is to hit 13 flat with my car, but I really don't know which turbo to go with. I already hit a 14.2 with a fuel cut with my car so i know i can go 13's. At first I was thinking the 20g with TD06H, but I think its too much for me. However, I do want to have a little space to hit 12's if I ever would like bump up the boost. Please help me choose a turbo, and please not the evo 3. I need something bigger than that.

i was going to ask the same thing. from what you described the EVOIII is perfect for you.

If not something like Bullseye's T04B 50trim, PTE SCM5031 or td05 20g will do it.

What kind of budget do you have?

Whats your price range? you could go with a GT2871R or the 3071. If you don't like the Evo 3 then you do not have that many choices for the 1/4 times you want to run. But my 2cents is a good old mitsu bolt on 50 trim with a E-cover. For the money its a good turbo.

up to $800, so i can have enough for fuel mods. I feel that the evo 3 won't be a big change from a 14b plus I really don't want to boost more that 20psi to reach for my goal.

50 trim or evo3 take your pick either way you are going to make alot more power then with a 14B. and take it from me i have pushed my 14b to 30psi (no vacuum line hooked up) and i made more power at 18 psi on a B16g and it held to redline unlike the 14b falling off to 17psi by redline. If you want more room to play on pump gas go with the 50 trim there is alot more breathing room.

Evo16g is surprisingly a great upgrade. If your looking for a good pump gas turbo I would reccomend something more effecient like the 20g or 50trim. Getting anything over 300whp on pump with the 16g is a PITA

I keep on hearing a 50 trim turbo, but which 50 trim turbo would be enough. And whats the difference with those E, B, etc covers?

Basically all the bolt on "50 trims" they offer for dsm's are the same. Usually each vendor offers their own cast bolt on turbine housing. Just go with a vendor you like, some companies such as slowboyracing, PTE & Bullseye Power are a couple to check out. Some companies offer different turbine A/R's, the larger the turbine A/R, the more upper power you will make, but like everything else, this will also slow your spool. For you goals any A/R and comp cover will work. Personally if you want the quickest spool go with a .48 AR turbine or step up to the .63 if you think you may want more power down the road. Both these will be fairly quick spooling and will easily take you to your goal. You could get away with the B comp cover as well, but personally I'd skip the smaller B cover & go straight to the E. If you want quicker spool there are a big selection of BB center sections as well which will reduce spool a few hundred rpms & speed up transient response between shifts but will also add several hundred to your price tag (they are over the $1000 mark).

50 trim or evo3 take your pick either way you are going to make alot more power then with a 14B. and take it from me i have pushed my 14b to 30psi (no vacuum line hooked up) and i made more power at 18 psi on a B16g and it held to redline unlike the 14b falling off to 17psi by redline. If you want more room to play on pump gas go with the 50 trim there is alot more breathing room.

Is that why you have a pic of your car on a flatbed for your avatar?

A 14b will get you 12s with some work on pump gas. I personally ran a 12.7 at 105 on a big 16g on pump gas. That was with 550s, a 255 pump, bolt on regulator, front mount, and a 2g mas. Nothing to tune with and at 20psi. After I installed my megasquirt it was a 12.5 at 109.

Anyway with that said you do not need a large turbo to run 12s on a dsm. :thumb:

your best bet for 800 buy a sbr g50 with internal gate 825 shipped, then buy a used pump and injectors, your gona end up spending another 300. i just ordered my 50 trim with an external wg. with all the right work im hoping to put down 400 wheel and running high 11s. Everyone here has told u the 16g isnt a bad turbo u can sqeeze 12s out of it and its reliable. but everyone i know thats had it has gotten so sick of it within 5 months and u know what turbo they end up buying? thats right a 50 trim. i hope we have all helped u with your decision:talon:

Hmmm... I think your best option is a GT42R. You might have some trouble getting it to go 13.0 because it's never been done before.ROFL If that's your goal, you could do it on the 14b. It sounds like you've got some boost leak problems. Fix the leaks. Invest in your trans. Automatics can go fast but not in stock form.

Check my profile. Thanks everyone I think i'm leaning towards a 50 trim because I would really like to hit 13.0 with ease

Go with the TD06H 20G...bad ass turbo..I went 11's with a stock JDM motor and a FP Street Strip 20G

While a 13 flat isn't hard to do with an evoIII on pump, the 50 trim is the new evoIII (in that its the turbo that pretty much everyone runs or wants to run for a quick street turbo) & you'll be happy with it as it will easily meet you goal & you'll have some room to grow, so you won't get tired of it (well atleast not right away :D )

Hmmm... I think your best option is a GT42R. You might have some trouble getting it to go 13.0 because it's never been done before.ROFL If that's your goal, you could do it on the 14b. It sounds like you've got some boost leak problems. Fix the leaks. Invest in your trans. Automatics can go fast but not in stock form.

Haha seriously WTF. I am with you. 13.0 is very easy with a 16g. Anyone that can not hit a 13.0 or a 12.9 with a 16g should be shot. I posted what I did on pump with my very mild setup (which used to be the thing to have way back when. Now its crappy maft so I can vent like a ricer and gigantic turbos making half of the power that people used to with smaller turbos.)

With that said are you certain that all you want is 12s? If you know you will want more buy once and get something larger. 11s can get tricky with a 16g but can also be done.

Man, some of you guys are funny. Tdo6h 20g's, 50trims, evo III's, GTxxxxR's, come on. A low 13 can be done fine with a 14b, and rather easily with a plainjane 16g.

Then you will want something without much of a hit to it so that your tires stay planted. And I agree with wishihadatalon. The evo3 would do you about perfect and they are about as reliable as anything.

Well your AWD, and i want to hit 13.0 on fwd and street tires.

If you want to do this on street tires you will also want to look into a proper LSD, urthane motor mounts, adjustable suspension & a dual stage boost controller. With drag radials or slicks, a 13.0 isn't hard on even an evoIII but on street tires this will be much more difficults as its not like an awd where just upping the boost will net a much better time. The more power you make, the harder it is to control. Traction at the track is much lower compared to the street, so that just makes things much more worse.

A 20g on Street Tires would be very interesting. The 20g hits so friggen hard it used to scare the crap out of people in my car (and Im AWD)

I would HIGHLY recommend a 50 Trim for a FWD. I've had both and the 50 Trim has a gradual spool up but pulls nicely on the top-end.

yes, you can run 12's on a 14b (ive don it) but you have to drive the PISS out of your car and race gas is a must for over 20psi on a 14b.

If you want to run 12's, fairly easily on a FWD with a stock motor and stock cams go with a 50 trim. I put down the WHP in my Sig with a 50 trim with a stock motor, pump gas and at only 19-20psi..and that was in 3000ft elevation

Easily fixed! Sounds like you would be better off with the MHI EvoIII 16g when it comes to the front wheel drive issue. Plus it's not hard on the pocket! We carry about 10 of these on the shelf at all times due to the popularity and the reliability of this Turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back