The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Tubular rear subframe - Input needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread may be the place to drop a mention of Johnny Joints. Given that they're quieter, rebuildable, and offer a good range of motion, would they be suitable for control arms?

Almost complete. Some more suspension and fuel filler hose work and it'll be back down on its wheels.

attachment.php

:dsm:

Wow that looks amazing. And the group buy starts when? Lol

Wow that looks amazing. And the group buy starts when? Lol
No plans for a group buy, but they are available to those who message me. ;)

That looks great. Any plans for a 1g rear subframe?
Yup, we'll be building a 1G rear later this year. Probably just after racing season concludes.

I made this video right before the Shotoout and forgot to share it here. It's a time laspe of the fit and tack portion of one of these subframes. This was after all of the lathe work, but before any assembly welding. Pretty neat though. I hope you guys enjoy it.

One image per minute, played back at 7 frames per second.

[ame=http://youtu.be/HShQPvj3CR4]Time lapse tubular subframe fit & tack - YouTube[/ame]

Just an idea, what about a rear & front subframe for a 1g to convert from fwd to awd without altering the stock fwd chassis floor ? It would require removal of the fuel tank but i guess for a strip car you could always go with a fuel cell.

Just an idea, what about a rear & front subframe for a 1g to convert from fwd to awd without altering the stock fwd chassis floor ? It would require removal of the fuel tank but i guess for a strip car you could always go with a fuel cell.
Sounds neat, but I definitely don't have the time or the available space to develop something like that. I suspect there is an incredibly small market for such a thing too, so I'm not sure if the countless hours of R&D would ever pay off.

So approximately how many of these are out in use? I'm more interested in autox/roadrace guys running wide r compounds putting heavy lateral loads on this. It certainly looks to be of exceptional quality. But it is always nice to see some actual miles put on parts and have some good testing on it. I've been removed from the dsm world for the past couple of years. Its nice to see new parts still being developed for an aging platform. Its making picking up another dsm very tempting.

I have the 7th one at powdercoat right now. Unfortunately, I haven't received alot of feedback on the other 6 yet. No complaints either though, so I assume all is well at least. I have two more lined up to build between now and January, so that will make 9 of them out there.

I know John sold the prototype (the one in this thread) when he parted his Talon out and Will Stanton is running it now. That first one is the one that has been used the most so far. John cut many 1.5 60's on it with a relativily heavy car and had no issues. I hope to gather some feedback from the guys with the road race versions sometime in the near fututre.

Yea. I've got just over 800 miles on mine of DD'ing around town and a dozen or so tuning passes down in Mexico and everything looks good, I just checked it last week when I was taking those photos.

I plan on taking the car to the track on 12/14 but it's straight line, I probably won't do much, if any, road course racing on this subframe until next fall when I'm better setup for it. By then there will be plenty of DD'ing miles on it though and with this new suspension setup I've been taking corners a bit faster and with a smile.

:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back