The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Input needed: Pipe Notching Tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CODE4

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2004
Tampa, Florida
Need something that can make clean cuts on OD up to 3" - anyone have any experience? I do not need anything that is on a full stand or for 100% duty cycle type shop use, but I need to make about 150 cuts in the next month on a project notching 2.5" and 1.5" sch 40 pipe.

I see several models out there that chuck up the pipe (with varying angle adjustability) and provisions for attaching a common drill head to spin the hole saw blade.

I only need a 90* cutting ability, but anything more is a bonus.

I am sure there is a price point/break I need to hit before the cost/benefit tapers off, but I am hoping someone here has had good experiences with a particular brand.

HF has one for fifty doll hairs, max capacity is 2" though so it might be too small for your needs.
HF tube notcher

Do you have a drill press? If you do, you can fabricate couple metal blocks with a V cut in the top edge and bolt them to the table of the drill. The V blocks will center the pipe and will hold it while the hole saw does it's job.

If you feel really froggy, you can make a hole saw guide from a correctly-sized T fitting. Cut one part of it long ways, and cut another part off. The half that is left will give you a place to put a clamp on to hold it to the pipe, and the tube will guide the hole saw to notch the pipe. Not sure if you even can get a fitting with 2.5" ID, and it might not be accurate at all, but had this idea, so might as well share it.

Of course easiest (and perhaps least accurate) way of doing this would be to center punch a spot on the pipe to keep pilot drill bit from walking off and notch the pipe using a hand drill.

Attachments

• tmp.png
    tmp.png
    49 KB · Views: 255
have you checked tricktools.com

I did stumble across there from some basic Googling. Have you dealt with them in the past? Good/bad?

What about a "Chain type cutter" for exhaust pipes? OEM/Tail Pipe Cutter (27045) | | AutoZone.com

I am not sure how you would use this to notch a pipe...

HF has one for fifty doll hairs, max capacity is 2" though so it might be too small for your needs.
HF tube notcher

Do you have a drill press? If you do, you can fabricate couple metal blocks with a V cut in the top edge and bolt them to the table of the drill. The V blocks will center the pipe and will hold it while the hole saw does it's job.

If you feel really froggy, you can make a hole saw guide from a correctly-sized T fitting. Cut one part of it long ways, and cut another part off. The half that is left will give you a place to put a clamp on to hold it to the pipe, and the tube will guide the hole saw to notch the pipe. Not sure if you even can get a fitting with 2.5" ID, and it might not be accurate at all, but had this idea, so might as well share it.

Of course easiest (and perhaps least accurate) way of doing this would be to center punch a spot on the pipe to keep pilot drill bit from walking off and notch the pipe using a hand drill.

I have thought about the V Block on a drill press bed - I have a couple presses at work I could use. I like the idea of modifying a Tee fitting but as you mentioned it would require and ID that matched the hole saw blade closely.

I may spring for a Baleigh TN-250 - it does not chuck 3" OD but I may adjust the project specs accordingly and resize the material.

Thanks for the input so far, I will update with whatever I end up going with.

My bad CODE4 , I was thinking something different late last night and didn't comprehend what was going on here. I was thinking of cutting small relief slits into the pipe to get it to bend or just clean cuts while the pipe was on the car. Once again, sorry for my confusion.

Tricktools is a great any to deal with and I'd recommend them to anyone. As far as a notcher I have the JD2 Notchmaster and I really really like it. It works very well. But if I were gonna go back and do it again I'd spend the extra money on a notcher that can notch in a bend, would have been useful many times. Really as long as you stick with a reputable company you'll be fine. JD2, Pro Tool, Baleigh all make great tools

wish i could give more feedback, i did buy a tube bender and notcher from that site but i haven't had a chance to use it due to other stuff in my life right now.

The baleigh is able to notch bends. Thats why i plan on that one, and the mb105 looks great and simple for a manual bender with a hydraulic pneumatic option later down the road. It's just $1000 bucks i have better use for elsewhere at the moment :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back