The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Transmission noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XSNRGGST

15+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
I searched for this thread that I thought I read recently. I don't have a lot of time to go through all the threads with a fine toothed comb.

I thought that recently somebody recommended that new synchros for 4th and 5th gear might help with some tranny noises in those respective gears. It could have been a recommendation for some new bearings as well. All-in-all, it was recommended to purchase a couple of $20 parts instead of a whole new transmision. I am asking for a refresher on this thread, or at least the part numbers for the parts in question.

I recently asked about my own transmission challenges in another Thread entitled "tranny noise" in the newbie section.

I have a 97 GST with 122k. I have recently been experiencing some new noise when I am in gear in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It seems to be a growling/grinding and is only present when I am in gear and am keeping a load in said gears. When I let off the thottle/coast in those gears, there is no noise. There is no real problem shifting otherwise and the tranny shifts well at all other times. This noise seems to be the only pressing matter in the scheme of things. There are no other performance issues/drivetrain problems.

I recently changed out my motor mounts, thinking this may be a problem, but it still exists.

I do have a broken inner driver's side CV boot that has been this way for a liitle while now. It is in decent shape with only the very outside of the smaller part of the boot torn from the clamp. There is still grease present on the spider gear which I have felt with my finger. Could this be causing the noise? Or is it definately a tranny issue?

I will definately be planning to replace the whole axle very soon with a replacement from Checker/AutoParts America.
Thank you very much for your help in this matter.

EAC

It could be the clutch disc or throw out bearing. Maybe even possibly the input shaft. Usually tranmission noises will give you some kind of driveability problem such as gears grinding or the shifter popping out of a gear.

Why dont you try putting your car up on a hoist and run it through those gears. Have a couple friends underneath listening for the noise. Before you start buying parts and spending a fortune make sure you know you are going to be fixing the problem. Get any dirt etc in that CV axle and it will make a nasty noise after time. Even if there is grease present.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back