The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Trans question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Tadich

Proven Member
Jul 15, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I have the opportunity to buy a 22 spline trans that has been rebuilt with all new gear sets and double synchro for 1st gear I believe. My question is will those gear sets and everything work in my 23 spline allowing me to maintain my 23 spline output shaft or are they different? TIA.

Vic is correct. You need to swap out the output shaft to a 23 spline and then you are good to go! Not a tough job and 22 spline is a 90 so you have that gearset. :)

Get a 23 spline output shaft Vic. You will be happy you can interchange 91+ stuff with a HD gearset if you have a factory 22 spline, since that's a 90 thing :sneaky: :thumb:

Yes I have a 22spline from a 90 that is a fresh rebuild with some upgrades. I also have a 23 spline currently in my car. I was wondering if the 23spline output shaft was a direct swap and that all the 90 gear sets would work in the 93 or the 93 output shaft would work in the 90 trans.

IDK about the internals but the output shaft is the proper "upgrade" so that you have a 23 spline unit with the 90 HD gears, or most HD if you call any of them that. So you would pull the rear cover, remove the Viscous Coupler, and push the old output shaft out the transfer case side (case needs to be off), then put a 23 spline shaft in, put the coupler back on and put the rear cover back on and its done. I think I got that all correct. You can buy the output shafts sometimes on the market places, that's what I did. I have two spare 23 spline shafts.

Sounds pretty simple. I am going to take it to a shop just because it has sat the last 2 years. Get a good look at it and clean up anything that may need cleaned. Thanks everyone. Best part is the guy said it was a Shep tranny but I couldnt find any markings to prove this so I paid next to nothing for it. Is there anything I would be looking for specifically on the exterior to verify it's a shep trans?

Most rebuilders put there own mark on it somewhere. I need to look at mine from Jacks and see where they marked it.

The output shaft is easily interchangeable. As for the gearset, I question the details as there havent been all new 90 style gears for several years, and rarely did we machine 1st gear for double synchro, but it could be. The gearset would have to be properly inspected to give further details.

As for stamping placement, Shep and TRE typically put theirs below the passenger side axle seal. I put mine up by the breather bulb on the flat spot above the passenger side axle seal on top.

If you have more questions regarding details if the job just let me know.

Thanks,

TMZ

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back