The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Towing broken down FWD & AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreopride18

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2002
Crestview_Fl
I've wondered about this (no, I don't park in "No Parking" zones)

If my AWD gets towed by two wheels and the differential gets fried do I have to pay for the damage done or would it come out of the private property/towing companies pocket?

rule of thumb, all 4 wheels on the ground at the same speed, if you lift the front off because its behind a tow (car dolly), rear must be up as well, or disconnect rear drive shaft.

You will be good with a towbar.

Im picking up my 1990 AWD Talon an Wednesday and towing it 280miles. I will use the dolly method.

So what tools do I need to take to disengage the drive shaft from the rear diff please?

Ok I'm not towing my car but I might have to be pushing it in and out of the garage and was wondering if the tranny would get fooked if I were to hook up the drive shaft and only the front right axle(I don't have the left yet)?????I'm just want to get it to where all I have to is put that left axle in.

Hey everyone. I work as a dispatcher at a tow company.

I can't really speak for other companies, but my boss is anal about us asking on every call what kind of drivetrain a vehicle has. Our drivers as well are constantly sent to seminars through AAA to learn how to properly tow certain vehicles, especially newer Audis, VWs, BMS, etc. Man, they are a pain and definitely not a hook and go car.

For the most part, when we are called for impounds, the vehicle is flatbedded because there aren't keys anyway. I can recall one time that we had to wheel lift an awd car because our flatbeds were out of town. The driver went through the painstaking process of removing the driveshaft and rear axles.

As for action you can take if your car is damaged, it depends on the town. The town where I live regulates all tow companies and how they operate. If damage is a direct result of towing it, then we pay for it. It's the right thing to do anyway. If you live where it's not mandated, then small claims is about your only recourse.

Ok I'm not towing my car but I might have to be pushing it in and out of the garage and was wondering if the tranny would get fooked if I were to hook up the drive shaft and only the front right axle(I don't have the left yet)?????I'm just want to get it to where all I have to is put that left axle in.

Moving it a few feet here and there shouldn't do damage.

Everyone should spring for a set of wheel skates, though. They come in pretty handy, especially when a ball joint decides to let loose. :)

Unless the drive shaft was disconnected from the transfer case and allowed to spin freely something is probably broken. Get her checked out.

hey guys...do you know what size bolts run through the plate to connect the rear diff to the driveshaft...theres 4 bolts arranged in a circular pattern that connect the round plate to the rear Ujoint.

thanks in advance!:thumb:

heres the 4 bolts I'm talking about (only 2 are visible)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ill need to pitch one in here, I blew my engine up yesterday 4 blocks from my house and its AWD and just wanted to know since I just pulled it about 4 blocks to my house should I worry about anything being broke? We only drove at 5mph l

CTsleeper, they use 10mm bolts, but make sure that they are highest grade that you can find. If you use inferior bolts, they are likely to snap. Better yet, get the OEM bolts, since high grade metric hardware is pretty expensive anyway, so you will not be saving much by going to a hardware store.

Redwagon, your car is fine (well, you didn't damage the drivetrain, I am sure that you have other issues ;) ). People in this thread talking about towing AWD car with two wheels off the ground. That is damaging to the center diff and a viscous coupling. But even in that scenario, a tranny might survive a short, slow speed, 2 wheel tow.

Last edited by a moderator:
CTsleeper, they use 10mm bolts, but make sure that they are highest grade that you can find. If you use inferior bolts, they are likely to snap. Better yet, get the OEM bolts, since high grade metric hardware is pretty expensive anyway, so you will not be saving much by going to a hardware store.

Thanks alot dude. :thumb: Where do you think I could find the part number for those bolts? I havent checked mine yet, but do you think they might be listed in the Haynes Manual.

Id rather not go into the dealership with a picture in hand proclaiming "I need these bolts and lockwasher/nuts to go along with it" haha.

I have the tranny out of my 95 gsx and I'll be moving in the next couple weeks. What I was wondering was if it would be safe removing the driveshaft and tossing it up on a two wheel dollie? I don't think Penske rents car carriers for local moves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back