The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Towing broken down FWD & AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreopride18

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2002
Crestview_Fl
I've wondered about this (no, I don't park in "No Parking" zones)

If my AWD gets towed by two wheels and the differential gets fried do I have to pay for the damage done or would it come out of the private property/towing companies pocket?

One time they sent a truck out to get me that the first 4 feet or so of the flat-bed was adjustable. They could step the angle more gently, making it easier to get lowered cars on.

It was still a pain in the ass, but less so than the first time I needed a tow. Damn near lost my front end ROFL

Ya all 4 wheels need to be off the ground, or you will rip apart your diff. and the rear end. It dont sound too good, ive seen part of it.

quiksilver38 said:
rent a flat bed or call a tow truck (flat bed) and if its lowered tell the company so they wont rip off the front end when the tow truck driver tests the limits of his truck (like they always do)
dude, do you know how SLAMMED a car would have to be in order for that to matter when the car LACKS AN ENGINE. taking out 300 lbs will really change a cars ride height.... LOL

You could also remove the rear axles because the rear wheel bearings do not rely on the axle to keep them from self distructing they are sealed units. Doing this will alow you to use a two wheel car dolly or a regular tow truck and save you some money.

tstkl said:
dude, do you know how SLAMMED a car would have to be in order for that to matter when the car LACKS AN ENGINE. taking out 300 lbs will really change a cars ride height.... LOL
yea i didn't read the whole post damn my add

hi
im going to be going to pick up a awd talon with a blown engine.
I only have access to a tow dolly, so i will need to disconnect the driveshaft.
what do i need to do this? and how do i do it?

thanks

unbolt it from the rear diff, unbolt that carrier in the center of the car and slide it out of the t case.

Hmm good info. I have a leak from the end of the T case I just noticed today that i will be looking into in the future. Is there a seal or something there that could be shot and leaking?

if your just putting it on a tow dolly with the rear wheels on the ground. You can just unbolt the driveshaft from the rear diff and bungee cord it off to the side. Depends on the exhaust it has but sometimes you can just tie it to the exhaust.

when you unbolt it chances are youll need a small prybar or screwdriver to pop it off the flange since it will probably be rusted together.

yes Islandtsi there is a seal in the t case and it is very likely that is your problem.

it does not take long to disconnect the driveshaft either.

yes Islandtsi there is a seal in the t case and it is very likely that is your problem.

either the seal or the brass plug in the yoke of the driveshaft. there was a recall on the plug leaking. do a search for transfer case recall and you can find out how to repair it

I have two Eclipse FWD ( 1 for parts, not decided) and have to tow at the least dollar loss. Buy a tow bar is not a loss, but rather a tool investment. These are my first non RWD vehicles. I had always disconnected the drive shaft from the rear end and then towed with a tow bar. Of course that was as long as it was not being towed for suspension related issues.

I searched here and was unable to determine the ability to tow a FWD. All questions seemed to include the phrase "or should I flat bed it." Of course flat bedding it in would be ideal, right behind not having to tow at all. Then there is the keep the engine running so you won't damage the automatic transmission. Great as long as you have a working engine.

Well I did happen to find some information about towing from a rather useful thread. Motor homes dragging there little cars around. Basically the information is that any FWD manual can be towed on all fours with a tow bar as fas as you want. Additionally, there is a pump that you can hook up on automatics, for those with engines that are out say for a broken rod or something.

This is my first post, and hopefully with in the guidelines of posting. I leave the tag line to the source for due credit and more specific information.
xttp://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/towing4wheelsdown/a/aa070601a_2.htm

96 RS Texas sunburned and 95 GS New York rust bucket.

Yes you can tow a FWD or AWD with all 4 wheels on the ground.
You can also tow a FWD with the drive tires sitting on a dolly.

the only thing you cant do is tow an awd by 2 wheels thats just asking for trouble

I've got a '92 AWD Laser that I've removed the engine to rebuild. I'm now moving into a new house and need to transfer the car. Is there any way to roll/tow the car onto the flat bed with the engine and tranny removed? Is there a way I can temporarily put the front axles or just the wheels on to roll it onto the truck?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back