The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tips for the shows

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse99GST

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2004
Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania
I just wanted to post these pictures for some fellow DSM'ers to see. I know a lot of people don't like kit cars, but what are some things you guys or girls would change? I'm open for ideas.

The reason why I'm asking is because I'm not winning at the shows and I need some tips from my fellow DSM'ers

Here are the pics. Let me know if anybody wants pictures of the outside.

Erik

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 252
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 236
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 227
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 236
From a performance standpoint, I'd get some piping to relocate your intake filter somewhere that isn't going to be sucking in hot engine/radiator air directly.

personally i think it looks hot, but in my opinion you should just shut out the whole trunk area. you see how you have your subs situated, it would look alot cleaner if you were to just take mabye some wood and vinyl and make a cover type thing that would go around the subs and mabye match up with where the amps are housed. otherwise i think it looks mad clean and well done. good job. just to win shows you gotta be picky. thas my advice

Pic of Subs: Turn the 2 JL's 180 degrees, so anyone who looks in can read the name.

Pic of Intake Filter and Turbo: Is that rust I see? Getting rid of the old, rusty parts will certainly help in getting higher in the rankings.

Other than what I mentioned, I'd say you have a super clean car. I'm jealous. :dsm:

Thanks guys.

Talesin: I'll look into getting an intake pipe for this coming year, probably from dejontool. Thanks.

Bobanoid: Thanks man. Funny you mention that because that idea has been brought up at my last show. So, I'll definitely be doing that. Making it closed off and wrapping it in the Corbeau fabric to match my seats.

Anyabody else? All opinions welcome.

CruisinGSX: Good point there. I want to get some engine silver paint and paint those areas again. Would like to cover the rusty turbine housing, but all I can think of is a turbo blanket. Anybody know where I can get a good one?

Great posts everybody

First I dont like your doors. They look too painted on. Maybe if they were not as textured they would look more chromed. I beleive that is what you are looking for.

The engine I do like though, maybe some hydraulic openers for the hood.

And if you can, try to get into fiberglassing, its not hard and will make your car look great.

You're gonna have to do something drastic. From what I've seen, it's the things that stick out that win shows. While your car is nice looking, it looks like almost every other kitted car with a system out there. Get into some fiberglassing or something. Gotta stand out.

Outside pics.

Attachments

• out 5.jpg
    out 5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 206
  • out 4.jpg
    out 4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 239
  • out 3.jpg
    out 3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 224
  • out 2.jpg
    out 2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 230
  • out 1.jpg
    out 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 219
  • out 6.jpg
    out 6.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 206
Those outside pics are old ones because the inside was white, but the outside is the same as today.

Do any of you guys know of a tutorial on the web about fiberglassing. I'm willing to learn.

Erik

The outside looks nice in my opinion, not that many people with that color. Only thing is that I absolutely hate those kind of spoilers, but thats only my personal opinion. Otherwise, looks really clean.

i think youve get the exterior down, but maybe a more elaborate paint job with air brushing or some candy and flake, and most show cars have a crazy interior. Yours looks fantastic but a bit plain for shows IMO. Nice car though, props. Oh and fill in the front with a big polished FMIC instead of the wire mesh. Maybe try the Wangan CF spoiler, correct my spelling but im talking bout the CF duck bill spoiler.

Lose the front bumper and the box in the trunk. If you want to win shows you can't have a box. Everyone can have a box. The front bumper is out-dated with the lines and everything. Just get rid of it. I think the 'drift' front would look good on the front.
Spoiler looks fine for now, nothing as bad as the front bumper and sub box. Get that fixed and you'll be golden. :D
BTW, you need to change the OEM rear bumper if you want to stick with the body kit thing. I don't think it flows at all.

Flash said:
Lose the front bumper and the box in the trunk. If you want to win shows you can't have a box. Everyone can have a box. The front bumper is out-dated with the lines and everything. Just get rid of it. I think the 'drift' front would look good on the front.
Spoiler looks fine for now, nothing as bad as the front bumper and sub box. Get that fixed and you'll be golden. :D
BTW, you need to change the OEM rear bumper if you want to stick with the body kit thing. I don't think it flows at all.

I agree with Flash!

A few more things I noticed:
1) There is dark green under the hood, I'm guessing that is your original paint. Paint it the color of your car or black. Black is better than dark green
2) The exhaust manifold is a dull grey which is right under a shiny chrome valve cover. Get it coated black.
3) Under the hood you have Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple, Brown, Black and Dark Green. Way too many colors. Pick a color scheme and go with it. Get everything that is metal powdercoated in one color.

From a show guy. I would change a few things. First off is the interior is too dull. Good start but as you see at the shows fiberglass is the way to go. Also I would change up the front bumber to a newer one that one is a little out dated. Also Change the rear to something else besides stock. Molding is a big plus in the show scene. Nothing to drastic though the diferent car headlights and tailights are kinda getting old in the show scene. It has taking many years of finnaly getting my car right. I have gone through I don't know how many front bumbers plus new paintjobs and all just to keep up with this market. It has finnaly paid off though with getting many sponosors and all. But here is my car just to give an idea. Plus I don't want to tell you too much since you are close to me, don't need you to be out beating me in show. ;) jk..

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 194
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 184
I'd start off with getting the windows tinted, IMO. A FMIC would also be very helpful, and molding the kit in would just set the car off. Molding my kit in made it look much better, especially the line in the door.

Thanks guys. These opinions are helpful.

Believe it or not, there is a FMIC behind the mesh in the front grill.

DGajre777: Do you think the engine bay would be better black or green?

Flash: What about closing off the trunk and wrapping the pieces in Corbeau fabric?

SlammedSliver99: I've seen your car in person and I think it is awesome. I love the colors. Personally, I think you are way above me show wise. If you don't mind telling me, what is your engine bay color? Do judges give you a hard time if it's differnt from the outside paint?
Hope to see you this year coming.

Should I change the headlights and tailights or leave as is?

Erik

Quick tip, flip the maf upside down. Connector at the bottom, looks a little cleaner. then either paint or polish what you can see of the maf like my setup. Hard to see the polish in this pic but you get the idea.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Have the turbo and manifold ceramic coated.

Ditch the black wirre loom stuff for heat shrink tubing. Undo the stock wiring harness and hide as many wires and connections as possible. The less there is in the engine bay the better.

Angle the JL to that the middle of the JL faces each rear corner,so that looking straight from behind the left speaker would be between 7 and 8 o'clock and the right would be between 4 & 5 o'clock.

It's pricey, but a set of matching green Takata hartnesses would look killer in there.

Love the blue. Thanks for the tips. Never thought that about the MAF

mavisky: What upper intercooler pipe do you have? I like how it comes up and straight to the TB.

NT throttle body, 2 1/2" u-bend cut in half for the fender side, trim it a little shorter for the tb side. Cheap yet effective. :thumb: Valve cover is now actually bronze with blue lettering. Bronze to match the wheels of course :D

Tint the windows at least 30%, remove that horrible looking wing and put the stock high rise spoiler on, do the lambo door conversion, fiberglass the middle peice of the door, and paint it the same color to match the car. Also redo the system in the trunk it looks to plain. Make some type of custom enclosure, for the subs and amps. The blue seat belts do not match, get black seat belts.

important factors to a show car are origionality/custom work, and cleanliness. You can gain or lose so many points at a show by not being clean enough. What kind of custom work would you want to stress on the car? Paint? Stereo system? A lot of your engine bay parts look to be just purchased. You need to show to the judges you can do more than just buy parts and slap them on.

On most point scales the engine bay will win you a lot of points. Your car is really clean. You may want to look into an aftermarket radiator/fan setup. I would also go with a DNP exhaust mani since it's more showie.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back