The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Tips for Viper Security System Install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's a bit late now, but you can catch your door trigger/trunk trigger, as well as parking lights & tach wire behind the cluster.

When you got the 7 flashes, had you actually set the car up for remote start?

In order to do this with the new dei stuff, you HAVE to come to a stop with footbrake, pull up ebrake, and then take your foot off the footbrake. In order for this to work, you also have to have your brake shutdown wire (thin gauge brown) and your neutral safety switch hooked up (thin gauge black/white) to your ebrake.

Also, for mtm, you HAVE to use a real tach signal and program it before it will rs.

With the 5901, it has a built in turbo timer than can be programmed for 1min, 3mins, & 12 mins iirc. In order to make it work without having to open the door every time you need to use a couple relays.

That being said, if the alarm is it automatic mode, it is completely possible that you will start the car in gear. With the new DEI systems, they are designed specifically for manual transmissions, and leaving it in auto mode is asking for a headache.

I wanted to post a solution I found to a problem I was having.

Neither my 2 way or 1 way remote would connect to the system. When I would press the lock or unlock buttons it would just make the error sound. After looking everything over, I decided to reset the antenna.

To do this, you just unplug the wires going into the antenna/valet switch, turn the car on, turn the car off, then plug it back in. After doing so both remotes now work again.

I hope this helps someone !

Hope you have fun with that system.

When I was still installing we were having nothing but problems with that new line from DEI. Brains loosing programming, remotes acting weird, remotes not disarming the system, ect. I don't know what DEI did, but their reputation for being the land mark of good reliable alarms is gone. Between that new line and their new line of bypass mod's DEI is a joke now.

Do not remote start with a manual trans... If you leave it in first and you try to start it your car will have no problem driving by itself.

Most alarms with remote start that will work on a manual trans require you to set a 'Reservation mode'. This involves, stopping the car, applying the parking brake, turning off the ignition and removing the keys (car stays running), you get out, shut the door and the car will shut down and arm the alarm.

Disarming or triggering of the alarm will erase the setting of the 'Reservation mode'.

I suggest a battery back up (not the back up siren either). Tilt sensor is good to have along with the Crimeguard proximity sensor. Plus more sirens are always good.

Try to hide the alarm too. Under the driver's side dash is so common that any thief knows where to go. Hide it, make it harder to get to and thus the car more protected.

Here is a PDF File of the ENTIRE Wire Diagram for your car. I do car audio installs at my shop and this is what we use. Its the more detailed of the few we use. Every one of my 5spd cars I've done Remote Start on. And know why they have warnings about it from personal experience. I've made kill switches that the shifter touches while in every gear so remote start will fail if its in gear. If not, I highly suggest you to make a kill switch of some sort, or be extremely careful. You'd hate your car starting and chasing down a little kid LOL or slamming into someone else's car.

Attachments

• 1995EagleTalon.pdf
    274.8 KB · Views: 152
DSM4me44! You can leave your remote start in manual mode, and use the "virtual tach" instead of the tach wire! In order for the car to start in manual transmission mode, you have to perform a sequence to tell the remote start that you DO have the car in neutral.

The sequence is as follows:

Put the car in Neutral.
Step on the foot brake.
Pull the parking brake once. Then release.
Pull the parking brake again, and leave set.
Release foot brake.
Remote start vehicle.
You should hear clicking (of the relays working your parking lights, and kicking on ignitions)
Remove key.
Exit vehicle.
Close door, and LOCK WITH REMOTE!
The car should shut down (unless you have your turbo timer on, then it might stay for a bit... not sure here tho, I haven't installed a remote start system on a vehicle that has had need of a turbo timer yet)

After this, if you open the door, the remote start will not work (also ensure that you have hooked up a door trigger wire) this is to make sure that no one has screwed with your stick shift.

Now as for tips and tricks with Viper/DEI systems!

-The switch on the new models must be plugged into the brain and in the "on" position for the RS to work.

-Hood pinswitches are good in theory, but you will end up replacing them later, because they always rust out and no longer function correctly (at least round here they do...)

-There is no longer a "jumper" to control the parking light polarity, it is now a jumpable fuse located within the remote start itself.

-Virtual Tach is your friend! It is thus far, in my experience, more reliable than even the tach wire itself. It's easy to program too! Once you have selected Virtual Tach as your engine checking mode, remote start the vehicle, wait until the parking lights come on, and shut it down with the remote. DONE!

-If you will be doing a lot of remote starts, the Bitwriter is your friend! Or, take it to your local car audio shop, and have them program it for you! (this might cost a bit of $$ tho...)

If you have any questions, I do this for a living, PM ME!:thumb:

*edit*

Also, your remotes probably didn't come paired! You probably have purchased an older version of the 5901, the newer versions come pre-paired... to pair the remotes sounds complicated, but it is really easy, especially with the LCD 2-way!

Step one (we'll start with the 2-way LCD)

1. Get in the car.

2. Press and hold the "f" button for 8 seconds, DO NOT release it when it beeps the first time! This is just it telling you wether it's in 1 or 2 car mode. CONTINUE HOLDING "f"

3. Cycle through the options with the "aux" and "remote start" buttons until you find "Pair Remote" Press "f"

4. Turn on ignitions in the car (DO NOT START)

5. Press the built in switch in your antenna once. Release it. Press again and hold it. You should hear the siren chirp once.

6. Press LOCK on the remote. Siren blast, and tones from the remote.

7. Release the antenna switch.

8. Ignition off.

As for the one way:

1. Get in the car.

2. Press and hold the "f" button for 8 seconds, DO NOT release it when it beeps the first time! This is just it telling you wether it's in 1 or 2 car mode. CONTINUE HOLDING "f" after a moment, the LED at the top of the remote will light up ORANGE.

3. Press and hold the "remote start" button for about 3 sec, or until the LED at the top stops blinking.

4. Turn on ignitions in the car (DO NOT START)

5. Press the built in switch in your antenna once. Release it. Press again and hold it. You should hear the siren chirp once.

6. Press LOCK on the remote. Siren blast.

7. Release the antenna switch.

8. Ignition off.

TADA! You've now programmed your remote!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back