The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Timing Belt Kit Part#'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaknoize

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hey All,

I'm new here as well and somewhat new to DSM's again. I had one when I was 17 it got destroyed, now I'm 24. I have a 90 Eclipse GS-T. It is completely stock and has 181k, runs just fine. After checking for flaws I noticed I had a crack in my timing belt and would like to do some of my work correctly. I will be keeping this car mainly stock, maybe get a hard IC pipe and inake with a 2g MAF for better flow, but that may be somewhat it as far as motor mods go.

After researching a bit and looking for a timing belt kit. I wanted to stay genuine, but the prices are kind of out there. So I came to this SITE. The problem I'm having is tracking down the part numbers correctly. I used to own a Honda and didnt care and it was easy to just buy a belt and break it, then replace the motor for $110. But I know these cars are somewhat sensitive.

Vfaq reports these part numbers may have changed and the first belt listed "Continental" has EVERY SINGLE PART # incorrectly. Should I be worried and just go with genuine and pay the premium to keep it fine or are aftermarket kits good enough. I'm wary that the price is to low for an entire kit for it to be of quality.

Also, since I happen to be in the Midwest, I cant actually find a tuning shop that I like. Are there any members around here (I'll be searching the site) that are in my area that know of any places to get service? WV has what I need, but I dont really want to drive to Huntington from here on a cracked timing belt.

Thanks in advance for any info and I will soon update my profile with pics and the like.

-Andreas I rock all stock

Ha, Gofer I've been hoping u would reply. Lurking here for days before joining I see your posts and like them. But I know about the service. I've changed the basics (oil/filter, fuel filter, trans fluid) will get to the wheel bearings and the like soon. Also, although this is a high mileage car, its been owned by 1 person for most of its life.

But the part numbers dont really matter since they've changed over the years.

Ha, Gofer I've been hoping u would reply. Lurking here for days before joining I see your posts and like them. But I know about the service. I've changed the basics (oil/filter, fuel filter, trans fluid) will get to the wheel bearings and the like soon. Also, although this is a high mileage car, its been owned by 1 person for most of its life.

But the part numbers dont really matter since they've changed over the years.
:D I guess I do tend to post in EVERY thread I can. I just feel like when I first joined this site and didn't know ANYTHING nobody would help, or if they did it took days and I needed my car yesterday ya know?

The reason why I suggest those kits is because you'll also want to replace your balance shaft belt and tensioner as well. If you just decide to save the cash and replace the timing belt components ONLY your balance shaft belt can fail. When the balance shaft belt snaps it will go into your timing belt causing it to break, and what was the point of even replacing the timing belt in the first place? :hmm: To keep it from snapping and bending valves in the head.

I'll see you around the site! Welcome to tuners and from now on its Corey, gofer is just the screen name.

:dsm:

EDIT
Save Brian sometime if your just looking for part numbers Andreas, just go to the ExtremePSI link I gave you and the part numbers for all the stuff you need is already listed there. They are all MDXXXXXX in the drop down tabs of the Timing belt kit.

Those Jay Racing timing belt tools that Brian suggested are worth WAY more than any $$$ amount if your doing the timing belt yourself.

So are you looking for part numbers? If so, I'll pull all the ones you'd need/want.

And if you're doing the timing belt job yourself, I'd recommend getting the tools from Jay Racing.

O no... I dont want to do THIS myself. I want to find a "tuner" shop to do it for me. The dealer is obviously over-charging and wont even replace my accessory belts and the balance shaft belt (I want it deleted, but then I dont). PA seems to be full of shops like that and MI as well, but nooo.... I'm in Ohio with a half-breed car and no tuning shops to find within my area.

I would otherwise do it myself, but as i said before. This isnt a Honda and I dont want to break it. I'll pay for quality work if I can find it. So if YOU want to travel over here from almost Philly u can :D I'll accommidate and pay in upwards of $300 for a quality job, all parts furnished by me and lunch at Raisin' Canes!

...replace the timing belt components ONLY your balance shaft belt can fail. When the balance shaft belt snaps it will go into your timing belt causing it to break, and what was the point of even replacing the timing belt in the first place? :hmm: To keep it from snapping and bending valves in the head.

I'll see you around the site! Welcome to tuners and from now on its Corey, gofer is just the screen name.

Corey huh,

Well I didnt need the part numbers just being specific as the rules stated. I kno number change and all, but I wanted to be sure. This is a jewel for me, the same exact car I had when I was 17, except this one wasnt crashed 4 times, has A/C, 3rd gear, P/S, e-brake and so on.

For $200 you can build your own kit here with a Gates belt, tensioner, bearings & water pump. 4G63T Mitsubishi 2.0 DOHC Turbo Engine Rebuild Parts I just bought the same thing for a friends rebuild. I have a set of lifters from there in my 1g and my 2001 Galant.

There is a BSE kit, but I wouldn't get the stub shaft w/o the oiling groove. You can get the BS bearings for ~$14 and get the MD098626 stub shaft from the dealer for about another $15.

That ExtremePsi kit looks like a great deal.

Brian - then... if u want, they are all the part numbers related to the timing belt kit parts. And come back to Ohio... we'll go to Canes and I'll assist with the timing belt replacement.

Corey - I did see the part numbers there and that $204 kit is worth the money, I didnt know that there were other parts needed as well. Most of the kits included what I thought were needed. All info is good :D

Oh and the Extreme PSI leaves out my balance shaft. I have all that on mine. So... time to check prices again.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back