1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Time to pull the Clutch Pedal Assembly

Posted by tsiawd90, Jul 31, 2019

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. tsiawd90

tsiawd90 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 16, 2017
    Houston, Texas
    I am not looking forward to removing this thing. It looks like a nightmare job.

Does anyone know if Shep trans is still repairing clutch pedal assemblies or are there other options to have it repaired?

Is there anything else I should look to replace or fix while I am in here?

I swear I have no idea how the previous owner did this much damage to this car. There are so many failures that should have parked this car I have no idea how he was able to continue breaking parts.

This is how much play is in the clutch pedal before it engages the master cylinder rod at all.

2. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    No clue if Shep still does the repairs, but it's not that bad to take the pedal assembly out.

Dropping the column is best, otherwise it's more time consuming. Oh and make sure to have your choice four letter words ready to go.

Street Build 591  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

619  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    pat white and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  3. Lucky13

Lucky13 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 20, 2002
    Palm Beach Gard, Florida
    I found taking out the seat helps also. I've done this twice..... I think I'd rather pull an engine.

lenny 15 likes this.
  4. lenny 15

lenny 15 Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2006
    Garden Grove, California
    Shep unfortunately no longer does the pedal rebuilds. Try to find a new OEM Pedal, and get the bushing from JNZ. Then have a good welder weld the nut to the bracket, and the nut to the pedal rod. Get a nut with a flanged surface to have more surface area on the bracket. When you get it welded, make sure you remove the slack by pushing the bracket in the direction of travel towards the firewall and pull up on the pedal so the bracket is closer to the master cylinder. If you do it wrong you can end up welding your pedal so you adjust the rod all the way and it runs out of threads still. It is a PITA to get in and out, but after doing mine about 5 times before I got it right, its not too crazy, just be patient.

Adding a few notes here. Yes remove the drivers seat, drop the column, but I don't recommend removing the column like I did unless you want it to be a whole new headache of making your steering wheel straight again. You have to remove the brake booster and use a block of wood to move the brake master cylinder out of the way. Also make sure you verify that the clutch master cylinder or slave are not seized. I let my car sit for a few years because of this project and when I finally installed my Shep pedal assembly, I broke the welds trying to press the clutch due to the master cylinder being seized.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019

690  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  5. lglracer

lglracer Supporting VIP

Joined Jul 13, 2008
    Sacramento, California
    I would recommend ordering the full kit from @Brando_DSM. Then having someone weld the end. Pulling the assembly is not hard. Ive done it in both Galants and DSMs. Takes me about 30 minutes to do it. It looks like a lot but its very simple.

Road Race Build 551  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 503  1

1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSX
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 1K  4

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4

517  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
    ThunderChild and 1990TSIAWDTALON like this.
  6. Boomdeeze

Boomdeeze Proven Member

Joined Jul 5, 2009
    Independence, Minnesota
    Man I thought this was going to be a thread stating he was going to the auto haha

Street Build 4K  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.793 @ 128.98 · 2G DSM
    lglracer likes this.
  7. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    The one saving grace of my car when I bought it was the previous owner already welded the pedal. Everything else on the car was sh**.

Street Build 4K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    lglracer likes this.
  8. tsiawd90

tsiawd90 Supporting Member

Joined Nov 16, 2017
    Houston, Texas
    Well #$&^%*&*% %#(^(^( #*%&*%#*&#* it is out.

It didn't even look that bad. Not nearly as bad as some of the images I saw online. But I guess it is bad enough that it slips around. I'll upload some pics later. I need to figure out if where is somewhere I can just send it out to have it fixed. I could try welding it up myself but I really do not want to ever have to pull it out again.

Also any tips on how to keep the steering wheel straight when I put the steering column back in?

jamel16 likes this.
  9. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    If you pulled the splines off without marking :)ohdamn:) then you'll just have to give it your best eyeball or try and look for witness marks to line up.

You could always take images and an explanation to any decent welding shop and have them do it. Request tig for penetration.
    Could always do it yourself if you have a decent welder, when I need to I know I will be doing it myself.

Street Build 591  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

619  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. lenny 15

lenny 15 Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2006
    Garden Grove, California
    How I figured I would try to line up the steering column so it is centered is to use zip ties and loop them through each of the holes of the bracket onto the bolt holes of the car and pull them the same number of clicks so the brackets hang evenly spaced from the car. This way it should be supported but you can swing it forward and back enough to put the splines on and see if it’s straight and then adjust from there.

This was just an idea though. I was planning to try it but I’ve just been living with a crooked steering wheel for now. I’ll be dropping the rack to rebuild it and figured I’d get it straight again then.

690  6

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM