The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Throw out bearing problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinTurboDsm

Probationary Member
May 14, 2012
Lawton, Michigan
I have a 93 laser awd turbo my clutch went out this morning so i decided to replace it. I got the flywheel and pressure plate installed. when I went to install the throw out bearing I notice it didnt fit right, then I saw part of the spline was missing please look at my pics.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thats pretty much toast now. The tranny can be salvaged and another bell housing swapped onto it. You would have to go thru it and measure the preload on the bearings and shim it accordingly. There is probably excessive play in the gearsets causing the input shaft to wobble excessively on the end. That caused the piece to split at the end and eventually shear off the bellhousing. What did the clutch disc look like? Stock?

looked stock springs seemed very loose compared to the new one. disc was trashed because it was slipping and throwout bearing was in pieces.

IF I can find a pipe the same exat size and thickness could I have one welded on.

Good luck getting anything welded on. It would have ot be perfectly centered. It's also aluminum. The tranny has to come apart no matter what you do and you're better off getting another bell housing.

I found out that 2 bolts were not tight thats was caused it to break.
I ended up getting a donnor trans swapped the bellhousings.

I had that situation happen to me. I ended up machining some tubing to the original spec, welded it to a backing plate that was contoured to the bellhousing, tapped the bellhousing, used threadlock, and bolted it on. I blew that clutch up aboput 3k later. When I checked it out again, upon replacement of the clutch, it held perfect. No need to swap out the housing. This tube from mitsu's tranny is practical, but problematic if it ever breaks.

Thats cool so I bought a used trans for no reason FML

What he posted there is a LOT easier said than done. You aren't just going to go find a piece of tube that is the right spec. You will need a lathe at the very least to get the right dimensions.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back