The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Throw out bearing pooped out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmrcs

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2012
East Wenatchee, Washington
Tonight I was driving back from an amazing dinner (Roxy's Hawaiian Grill in Tualatin, OR!) with my fiance. I was driving like usual, just a small pull through first gear and when I tried to put it in second, I couldn't. So I let the clutch back out and pushed it back in, then it went into second but hard. Then I couldn't get it out of second and the clutch started to feel kind of bubbly. I managed to get it out of gear and pulled over. Pushed it over to the side of the road and still can't get it in gear. I had it towed back to my place and now I'm just wondering what to inspect next. My clutch fluid was quite low, and it was greenish and thick. I'm suspecting that it is just a master/slave cylinder issue, but which one?

Also, I do have a slight chirp at idle that changes pitch and goes away depending on how far I push the clutch in. I'm suspecting TOB for that? Anyway, it'd be great to get some input on possible causes of this! Thanks!

Last edited:
Pieces of the bearing got under the pressure plate and tore up the disk I would say.

Hmm. My throwout bearing started squeaking very slightly and then this happens two weeks later haha. I don't see how people drive their cars for hundreds of miles on squeaky throw out bearings.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Old clutch and pp on left new Exedy clutch and pp on right! Installing it Friday night. Can't wait to get her driving again.

Update! I got the new clutch in and I must say, I am proud I myself and my two friends for doing this haha lots of time and anger went into this being 3 20 year olds first time doing a FWD transaxle removal. We got it done this morning and to my GREAT satisfaction, the clutch engages smooth! YAY! Now for the bad part.. The car was sitting for 2-3 weeks jacked up, with the tranny off. It didn't want to start at first and so I tapped the gas a tad to help it and it fired up, but it smoked and was ideling horrible and wouldn't stay running on its own. It's been single digits outside, and I remembered I had 20W-50 oil in it...

What do you recommend I do? Near certain that nothing was left unplugged..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back