The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

bad throw out bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morelock

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2011
chuckey, Tennessee
It sounds like kind of like a knocking sound when i let the clutch out. When i push the clutch it in the noise goes away completely. Is that the throw out bearing? If it is it will be fixed asap im just wandering if that is it will it mess anything else up if i drive it or just be annoying. i just put a act 2600 un sprung 6 puck i n the car about 5 or 6000 miles ago and it just started making this noise last week please help.

Its more of a rattling noise than a knocking noise, but yes that is your tob.
Ive had a bad tob for almost half a year and doesnt seem to affect the shifting of my car, i wouldnt recommend leaving it un-attended tho. I bet you used the ACT one that comes with the kit.
Get an OEM one along with the clip and call it a day...AFTER you install it. :thumb:

ya i used the act one with the kit heard those are trash. i put a new clip in it when i got it but i will get another one and a oem t o b thanks for the advise. probable change it out when i leave fn Chicago.

ok well i know the throw out bearing is bad. Im going to be replacing it next weekend. I changed my all the oil in my car yesterday engine transmission, transfer case and rear diff. i have drove it about 100 miles no raising hell or any thing like that. my question is today it started sounding like a roller coaster when its in first gear just like when a coaster starts pulling you up a big hill LOL. it sounds like the throw out bearing when its idling when your pulling out. i have never heard of one doing that in gear like that maybe its just completely trashed. im wandering if the throw out bearing is bad or if the transmission if going bad. i changed the oil in the transmission and filtered it threw a fine mesh strainer no metal flakes or any thing in the oil.

I am going to be changing it out next Friday. Im just wandering if any one else has has there transmission or if the throw out bearing will do that. i have never heard on doing it like that in first gear but just at a idle.

my tranny on my gst has a bad throw out bearing it makes like kind of shaking and grinding noise like with the same issue you are having but i only hear it when i dont have the car in gear but when i have the clutch in i get no noise i have not heard of have it making any noise in first gear though thats wierd

That is what i was thinking its weird. It pulls out smoothly it doesn't fill like its missing teeth off of the gears or anything there was no metal shaving or any i large impurities in the oil when i strained it this after noon. It sounds almost exactly like a roller coaster pulling up a hill. I guess i will just have to wait till after Friday when i change it out "ugh not looking forward to that a lot of damn work to do by your self" to see if that fixes it and pray for the best i guess.

ya i get what your saying its a lot of work to just change out a throw out bearing but better to be safe then sorry. I am new to this forum but have done a fair amount of work on dsms but im putting money on you have a bad throw out bearing. I would also like to recommend an OEM throw out bearing. That is what i am going to do but i am waiting get enough money to do a full clutch replacement.

That's what i ordered last week a oem one from Mitsubishi. I did the same thing about 6 thousand miles ago a, fidaza light weight fly wheel and a act 2600 un sprung 6 puck, and i use the tob with the act kit:banghead::banghead: that was before i found out the ones that come with are nothing but a paper weight.

yep thats the exact same thing that i heard with throw out bearings thats whats great about cars you always end up learning on whats good and whats bad. LOL

My TOB is OEM and it faintly ratles when I don't have the clutch pressed. My Honda does it as well and it's been running strong for years. Transmissions make normal noises too, I'd say if it's a faint noise, it's normal but if it's laud and hard to shift then check and replace.

its pretty loud doesn't affect shifting though. drive and runs perfect besides the weird noises i wasn't as worried about it till it started making the noise in first gear, now im freaking out LOL don't wanna have to get a new trans.

yep thats the exact same thing that i heard with throw out bearings thats whats great about cars you always end up learning on whats good and whats bad. LOL
It just sucks finding out that its just after you spent 10 plus hours putting all new stuff there by your self.

thanks ill try to see if i can get a picture of it when im messing with it tomorrow. I will let you guys know what i fin sometime tomorrow thanks.

i haven't been able to get under it to look yet just went and picked up the new tob. it only makes the clanking sound when you giving it gas in first if you slowing down it first it doesn't make the noise at all.

haha ok so today i go change the tob and it didnt fix anything. makes noise in neutral and stops when you push the clutch in. and now it dont start unless i bump start it.

any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back