The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Complete throw out bearing failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1kick

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2018
Santa fe, New_Mexico
So I ordered a luk clutch kit from Amazon for my 2g put about 2000 miles on it a couple of weeks ago I was driving around town and the car just stalled I couldn't shift at all tried to start it back up and I hear noise coming from my trans so I towed it to work pulled the trans to find the throw out bearing in pieces and the shaft it rides on mangled beyond repair I contacted luk and they said Amazon has to cover the trans as part of the contact they have together Amazon is telling me luk has to cover it FML I was finally able to get Amazon to call luk and it's in the process of getting resolved I hope I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Amazon they wanted to just refund the money from the clutch set but I wasn't having it here are a few pics of the damage
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_20190727_090101.jpg
    IMG_20190727_090101.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Only use OEM Mistubishi throw out bearings period!!!, that shaft might clean up though. Its called a throw out bearing for a reason, throw it out.

Agreed, you may be able to clean things up. A lot of the buildup appears as melted plastic fiber strands. Also the tranny sleeve the TOB slides on looks dry. This should be greased during install & the OEM TOB bearing has a undercut groove in the ID to hold grease during use over the lifespan. Somethings are hard to see well in pics.

I doubt it still exists but there was an OEM all metal tob. Dont use it. Use the plastic lined tob. Originally it was a part specified for awd but eventually they used it on all.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back