The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

The RAVEN!: AWD/Auto/S400/Nitrous/Alum. rod/100% street car build *8/9s or bust!*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSimage

Supporting VIP
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, California
Hey guys, I'm back with my new and hopefully final build. I figured if I am going to go for it, I might as well go all out.

For the past few months I have been racing (track) and showing my prev. boosted Time Attack RX8:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Naturally the DSM kept screaming for attention.. With the sell of the white Falco shell:

I had enough money sitting in my car fund to get back in the game. A friend had some plans to move on to a small block FC project (everyone wants one of those...) and there was no way I was going to let his dreams die:

Just like some of the greats of our past, Shep's car, Jake's car, etc. It was a sight lost and picked up and moved to the next level. I will be doing the same. My choice for the name Raven stems from the EAP poem under the same name. Considered by many to be the original "shocker" the breeding light behind all that we know today as situation, and suspenseful horror.

If you are lined up with the car, it will peer into your soul just as the Raven mentioned in EAP poem.

I present to you:

THE RAVEN!

Lets get to the good stuff...

Many of you might remember the build I was planning to run with the Falco build:

Bolt-ons:

Magnus RACE intake manifold
Greddy Kevlar T-Belt
AEM adj. cam gears
1600cc FIC injectors
75mm Wilson TB
Buschur COP
NOS PRO Fogger kit
B&W S400 75mm Turbo (s475)
200+amp Saturn Alt + Jays Saturn relocation kit
AEM CDI TWIN FIRE 4chan
Dual Bosch 044 fuel setup

Engine:

Ross pistons
Groden aluminum rods
Buschur lightened and knife edge crank
Steel O-ring
Moroso oil pan
Kiggly girdle

Head:

Built/tested/ported by Speed Injected; +1mm over and sleeved
Ferrea SS valves
Crower Springs (Most likely Kiggly beehives when cams are changed)
FP 3x Cams (Will be changed to either fp5r/fp11s *camzilla setup* or Kelford 288/280s)

Engine management:

AEM EMS *Tuned by Sean Burgess of FFTec*
AEM 5bar MAP
AEM AIT
AEM UMEGO W/B

All other gauges are matching Auto Meter (Soon to be changed to all digital AEM gauges starting with the AEM Trans temp gauge)

Drive train:

Only current FULL manual bodied Auto transmission 3spd with Transbrake (ATP)
DSS Axels (Don't need em, but I got em so why not...)
Stock T-Case (Autos don't need the up grade)
Stock drive shaft (Read above)

Handling:

Big brake upgrade
R1 drilled/slotted rotors
3kGT Calipers
Hoosier QTPs
AGX/GC

Well thats going to make its way over to the Raven build minus the GTK1000 and instead a bigger s475 BW turbo. Also I am opting out to go with some Kelford 276/288 or 280/288 cams or even FP4rs or FP5r/FP11s opposed to the FP3xs to give the car a more powerful curve and allow the car to breathe uptop where it matters most.

Last edited:
The car arrived on the trailer Saturday morning and it was love at first sight:

The shell came complete with the cage and everything already in tact. It still has some more cage work to go and some more wiring that I will be doing myself, but all in all it is about as good as a starting point as any:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3619/3433803282_1925a8c3a9.jpg?v=0

Hmmm, we have external positive and negative batt. Terminals as well as an on an doff switch, but what is that hole at the bottom for?:dunno:

:hellyeah:

Car has fresh paint but do to a trailer accident it'll need a little love to get back to the pristine condition I want it to be in:

Tranny cooler on the drivers side:

Sumped stock tank:

If anyone has a JMF stock location tank let me know.. Or yall wanna hook a brotha up?

Sleeper aint it?? With it being an auto and full exhaust albeit 4", the cage is nearly invisible (unless I coat it gooold!) there will be little to give off the status of the vehicle. (possibly the sumped tank?) It'll definitely be fun rolling this thing around the neighbor hood with the chute on the back...

And I know you're thinking.. "You aren't running singles on Kuhmos.." Well don't forget the ex evileagle QTP setup I will be running at the track:

This 26" tall setup will be perfect for the gearing of the 3spd auto.

Many asked about the cage. I didn't have anything other than my cell phone to take my pics so they didn't come out as well as I wanted but I'll be getting better ones later on. These will do for now.

Previously the only real known interior pic of this car:

Well here's a few more:

The most comfortable seats I have ever owned

Cleanest install I have yet seen

Sweet and simple

B&M ratching shifter anyone?

Brand spankin' new Auto Power prof. camera pod

All accessories have their own fuses/power sources apart from the engine harness as well as relays for major items hidden behind the dash. As it should be.

Both door bars are het shaped to the curvature of the door, extinguisher on pass. console panel.

Gutted and all holes capped

Battery box located right behind passenger seat to help balance the car load. Also pictured are some exhaust pieces

I was known for the tucked engine bay movement I started amongst the DSM community,

So coming from that to this sight kind of had my stomach churning:

ALL of my hoses are AN lines so that will add bling but unfortunately are much harder to hide.. Certain SS hoses will be replaced with my proclassic lines to better hide them, other than that I'll make it work.

First things first, drop the main harness, shave all the holes, primer it, re spray, relocate fuse box and remove AC fuse box. It'll be a big project but nothing I haven't done before..

Tein suspension, I'll be switching to GCs

Tranny temp

Custom Rad setup. Rad and intercooler can be removed in about 2-5 minutes and the fan doesn't even have to be taken off..

Breather with single -12an line. Most run dual 10s. I will be stinking with the single until further notice, if push comes to shove I'll move onto dual -12ans.

So now you're caught up to the show.. Updates will come as new stuff comes in. As before all the work will be done by myself so with the new Time attack/ Auto X season coming and my work schedule I hope to have the Talon done by the end of summer or mid Fall, at the very latest. I want to make at least one pass this season.

I daily drove my 35r built car for 2 years and ZERO problems. My head has been spinning switching up my build all the time because the main person I am competing with is myself. I think this build offers me the most challenge to do something new and hopefully put me in a position where I wont have to do it again for a while LOL. May the DSM gods be with me.

What wheels? The Motegis?

It came with those stockers. I have the QTPs in storage.

the ones on it when you got it . well the ones with the bfgoodrench drag radials and im pretty sure there volk te37's ??

where is your storage unit ? .LOL j/k

2296 west Norwa.... Heeeey wait a minute.. :hmm:

:nono:

I'll be running the much better Hoosier QTPs. The BFGs are nice, but they have their place. Either way it goes the QTPs are pushing it about as good as you can go and still fit under the DOT rule for the Street class.

Man I always enjoy reading your dsm builds on dsmtalk. Your rx8 looks great, and cant wait to see the crazy stuff you do to this next dsm. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks a bunch bro.. If it wasn't for that stupid RX8 I woulda been finished with my DSM LOL. But I have lots of fun with it and its purdyful LOL. I hope I don't disappoint with this build.

I'm hoping for my first 9 second pass this year, then spraying it down the whole track to try and squeeze in an 8s run. So far no auto AWD DSM has gone 8s, but there a few CLOSE guys and when I say close I mean thousandths.. So hopefully we can all volley back and forth for record holders. :thumb:

Once again this is all being done on a 100% street car. No speedglass/lexan, no extreme lightening, no mini fuel tanks, no side exit exhaust. Street driven and enjoyed.:hellyeah:

2296 west Norwa.... Heeeey wait a minute.. :hmm:

:nono:

I'll be running the much better Hoosier QTPs. The BFGs are nice, but they have their place. Either way it goes the QTPs are pushing it about as good as you can go and still fit under the DOT rule for the Street class.

Thanks a bunch bro.. If it wasn't for that stupid RX8 I woulda been finished with my DSM LOL. But I have lots of fun with it and its purdyful LOL. I hope I don't disappoint with this build.

I'm hoping for my first 9 second pass this year, then spraying it down the whole track to try and squeeze in an 8s run. So far no auto AWD DSM has gone 8s, but there a few CLOSE guys and when I say close I mean thousandths.. So hopefully we can all volley back and forth for record holders. :thumb:

Once again this is all being done on a 100% street car. No speedglass/lexan, no extreme lightening, no mini fuel tanks, no side exit exhaust. Street driven and enjoyed.:hellyeah:

LOL . .so what hapend to the rims and BF's ??

LOL . .so what hapend to the rims and BF's ??

I'm still waiting on parts that were being shipped separate. But they will be either street tires or sold.

More then likely, sold.

I never did like those shifters. We have a Hurst Promatic in our camaro and its awesome.

I never did like those shifters. We have a Hurst Promatic in our camaro and its awesome.

What didn't you like about it?

This car will be running the only full manual body auto W4A33 transmission to date for our wonderful cars. A slap shifter like this was needed. It wasn't a bolt on affair but it works great. No complaints so far. I believe Kevin (Kiggly) also runs this same shifter or one very similar..

Looks good man what's the ultimate goal for this bad boy? WHen you planning on busting this thing out on the world?

Ultimate goal is break the current AWD Auto record which I believe is somewhere around a 9 flat. And finally breaking the 150mph barrier everyone seems to have been hitting.

Ideally I plan/ hope to run mid/low 9s off spray mid/high 8s on spray. All in a completely in tact fully streetable street class car. i.e. full glass, front interior, pass. seat, etc.

With that being said a 8.99 @ 151 will make me happy like a school girl at a Disney concert.

Car should be done around the end of summer-mid Fall. Basically I just want it done in time to hit the track a few times before they close. I'd love to at the very least pull in a couple 9s this season... I have a lot of cars going on now that I am building or restoring as well as racing my RX 8 so money isn't flowing all into the DSM as it use to (as I wish it could) But I'm in no rush. If it takes till this time next year to run some ridiculous numbers, so be it. I'm young, got all the time in the world LOL. :cool:

:hellyeah:

What didn't you like about it?

This car will be running the only full manual body auto W4A33 transmission to date for our wonderful cars. A slap shifter like this was needed. It wasn't a bolt on affair but it works great. No complaints so far. I believe Kevin (Kiggly) also runs this same shifter or one very similar..

My bad. When I first looked at it, I mistaked it for a different model shifter. I cant remember the name of it, but we used to have one in our nova. Yeah slap shifters are awesome. You can slap it as hard as you want and it only goes up one gear. I thought you had the model where you bump first to second and then 3rd you have to pull up on the fork to engage. But apparently not.

My bad. When I first looked at it, I mistaked it for a different model shifter. I cant remember the name of it, but we used to have one in our nova. Yeah slap shifters are awesome. You can slap it as hard as you want and it only goes up one gear. I thought you had the model where you bump first to second and then 3rd you have to pull up on the fork to engage. But apparently not.

Its kind of in the middle of the 2..

It slaps downward but you only have to pull the plunger to get it out of park. 1-3 are regular slaps or pulls. Not like true slap/bump shifters where you can beat the crap out of them..

A few people PM'd me about the Magnus RACE manifold. Most aren't familiar with it and don't even know it existed LOL. I believe I am the only one running it but some unknown might have it as well.

Size wise, its about TWICE the size of the regular Magnus, and just by eyeballing it is also bigger than the AMS, DV/DT, FFTec and JMF Drag... Bellow is a comparison between the Regular Mag and the Race.

he race dwarfs the street version in a way that it almost made me laugh that I ever ran it. I had similar pictures next to my friends JMF and its equally as funny.

Another size ref.

Next season should be fun..

Pure sex

Here's a couple with it mounted on the motor just to give you another point of reference (pictured with my old GTK1000 setup)...

Yes you are seeing it right, its about the same size as the Head itself...

Over head:

Back:

Nice build up but theres already 2 auto awd dsm's running 8's

AMS 1g AWD powered Mirage and C-Dub racing red 1g Talon

Ohhhh, but a Mirage ain't a DSM!!!

Nice project BTW.

Badass Buildup:hellyeah:
That's a huge size difference between the intakes:D
What did you do with the water pump to run the hose/pipe like that?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back