1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Testing electronics with ecu unplugged ?

Posted by 89dsm, Nov 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. 89dsm

89dsm Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    I am about to start my car soon because I have just completed an engine swap. I bought this car as a shell and I am hesitant about the wiring. I know there are quite a few wires the previous owner has messed with so I am afraid to plug the ecu in and risk shorting anything out. Is it safe to hook the battery up with the ecu unplugged to test lights, speakers, turn signals ect.

2. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Yes.
    If something is blatantly unsafe or obvious —> fix that, then go from there.

Street Build 742  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
  3. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    [QUOTE="89dsm, post: 153742632, member: 166579"Is it safe to hook the battery up with the ecu unplugged to test lights, speakers, turn signals, ect.[/QUOTE]

Yes it's safe, The ECU isn't interfaced with those so you will be able to test them without it.

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. dwdsm

dwdsm Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2005
    Scenery Hill, Pennsylvania
    Some continuity tests with your multimeter on the important pins for power and ground on the ECU are a must here. After that It's not a matter of damaging anything just a matter of running. Grab one of the many ECU pinouts and get busy testing!

939  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.797 @ 118.450 · 2G DSM
  5. 89dsm

89dsm Probationary Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys.