The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

T31 or T350 Wheel in SCM-61

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icedearth15

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 29, 2002
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Mods are in my profile. I was wondering how much faster the PTE scm-61 will spool up with a T31 wheel opposed to a T350 wheel. And the top end differences between the two. I am not intending to get a SMIM anytime soon, so my top end is limited to around 7800 rpm or so. My goal is around 400 horsepower on 93 octane and 20-23 psi of boost. PTE sets their scm-61's up by default with their T350 wheel. I will be running 93 octane 99% of the time with a few track visits per year. I ask this because I dont think I really need the T-350 wheel for my goals, but I like the characteristics of the 60-1 compressor. Give me some ideas/opinions/or experiences.

--Dave

The SCM-61 is not currently offered with a T-31 turbine wheel. The T-350 wheel has worked well in many applications around the 2.0L size, so I would say go with the T-350.

The SCM-61 uses the 61mm inducer compressor wheel from the GT35R, not a 60-1 compressor wheel.

- Brian

icedearth15 said:
Mods are in my profile. I was wondering how much faster the PTE scm-61 will spool up with a T31 wheel opposed to a T350 wheel. And the top end differences between the two. I am not intending to get a SMIM anytime soon, so my top end is limited to around 7800 rpm or so. My goal is around 400 horsepower on 93 octane and 20-23 psi of boost. PTE sets their scm-61's up by default with their T350 wheel. I will be running 93 octane 99% of the time with a few track visits per year. I ask this because I dont think I really need the T-350 wheel for my goals, but I like the characteristics of the 60-1 compressor. Give me some ideas/opinions/or experiences.

--Dave

SCM61 isn't a 60-1 wheel, FYI.

NOSLO2PT0 said:
SCM61 isn't a 60-1 wheel, FYI.

Yes, if you want a 60-1, that would be the scm 5252 for the t350 wheel and a scm 6031 for the t31 wheel. You should be able to reach your goals with the 6031 without a problem. I have the 5252 and spools to 22psi around 44-4500 rpm. I beleive you can spool the 6031 around 41-4300 rpm.

Thanks alot guys for clearing that up for me. I thought a 61mm compressor wheel meant 60-1, how would you define a "60-1"?

92awddsm - Do you believe 200-300 rpm wait in spool between the 6031e and the 5252e would be worth it? Right now I am going towards the 5252e, only because when the time comes that I get a SMIM I can take more advantage the top end.

--Thanks,
Dave

I would use the T350 turbine side. The Stg3 i was told by several people isnt large enough to move the air out fast enough...

I am still in debate about the T31 or t350 wheel. Does anyone have any direct experience with them compared to each other?

icedearth15 said:
Thanks alot guys for clearing that up for me. I thought a 61mm compressor wheel meant 60-1, how would you define a "60-1"?

92awddsm - Do you believe 200-300 rpm wait in spool between the 6031e and the 5252e would be worth it? Right now I am going towards the 5252e, only because when the time comes that I get a SMIM I can take more advantage the top end.

--Thanks,
Dave

I think the larger turbine is worth the slower spool. I went with the t350 more for the fact that I will be building a 2.4 this summer and want all the exhaust flow I can get. I did have a t04b vtrim before this with the t31 wheel but cant give you any accurate comparison since the compressor flows so much more. I can tell you that my exhaust tone has more of a rumble and is louder at wot but that doesnt have anything to do with performance.

I did dyno with it and put down 320 whp at 20 psi and 363 whp at 25psi on a mustang chassis dyno with a pig rich a/f of 10.2/1. I didnt do much tuning because time became a factor and I had an line burst going to my oil pressure gauge. Im sure I could have tuned for over 400 hp at the wheels but by that time, I was pretty frustrated(had a few other issues that were dyno related) Also, keep in mind that a mustang dyno also reads about 15-18% lower than most other dynos so dont base your decision on my low dyno readings.

Thanks 92awddsm -- I am going with the t350 wheel, if I have to wait just 300 rpm to get a substantial amount more air flowing than I will.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back