The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

strange rattle at 4000rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebuild4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
phoenix, Arizona
I have a 95 gst for starters. I got the car with a bad rod bearing. I had them replaced. I also have put about 2,000 bucks into various other parts of the engine to bring it up to par. When I am cruising along about 4,000 rpm there is a loud constant rattle until I either let off the gas or excelerate, then it dissapears. Note the noise has been like this the whole time I have had the car.
Thanks in advance:hmm:

I'm guessing either the crank pulley has separated or your exhaust heatshields, the ones that bolt to the car above the exhaust, have their nut loose.

Can't be that. I have torn this car apart more then once and replaced most things. The heat sheild isn't it cause I don't have the top one on at the moment and just put the bottom one back on. hmm .... It sounds kinda like a bearing. Its only irritating because I don't wan't something to blow up and leave me stranded LOL. It has been making this sound for about 5,000 miles so far. I have replaced all my timing belt bearings and a/c belt bearing in search of a fix. boo

You're referring to the ones on the exhaust manifold and turbine/o2, but I'm referring to the ones under the car.

Lmk if you figure it out, I have the same damn noise and have rubilt the complete bottom end and swapped out the lifter/rockers.. Only thing I could think of is the balance shaft bearings but those are gone on mine also.. It sounds like its in the intake manifold on mine, but there is nothing to make that noise there.. So idk anymore.. Very frustrated with it.

Well I have swapped everything besides the pistons/rods so the only thing I can think of is the wrist pins, but I have tried the trick of pulling the plug wire while running so there is no load and that makes no difference on any cylinder.. :/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back