The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Storms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm halfway between indy and ft. Wayne, I was lucky and missed both waves of hail.

Yea its kind of scary being from West Virginia and not really ever dealing with tornados then coming up here for school and all of the sudden tornado sirens and all of the schools loud speakers telling you to get to shelter. This is the second time we had tornado warnings this week. Thankfully nothing has happened so far.

We got hit extremely hard. I live a couple hours from Joplin and it got demolished. 8th most deadly and large tornado to hit the United States in its history. In case nobody heard about it, it was 1/2 mile wide, had winds up to 200mph, and traveled for 6 miles of complete destruction.

I happened to be on my way to Dallas when it hit and just barely missed it...by barely I mean seconds. I was stopped on I-44 at first for unknown reasons then when the weather cleared I found out there was a semi flipped over in the middle of the road. Then 13 more ahead of that (got it on video, try to get it up on here to show the devastation). We were the 5th vehicle in line behind the flipped semi so we couldn't have been far from being in the tornado. I may be going to volunteer this weekend or next week to help the victims there.

Tornado touched down about 5 miles from my house. Looks like it took out a barn so far from what the news is saying. I saw my light sensistive garage light come on when the storm came in, I happen to be looking outside still after the storm passed and my security light turned back off... thats how dark it got. I was in the basement for a minute or two, I won't lie. haha

Yeah, MO defiantly took a hit the other day. :(

This is a pretty good video of the massive twister.
YouTube - ‪Destructive Joplin, Missouri EF-5 Tornado‬‏

Later I read that this tornado was actually a rare "multivortex" tornado; i.e. multiple tornadoes in one.

I'm hoping for the best for all the survivors in that area....

Blame that pesky Gulf of Mexico for all the warm air. ;)

I live in St. Charles MO (about 15 miles northwest of St. Louis) and we've deffinently felt the punishment over the past month. I was at my girlfriends house and the tornado that hit the airport started in Foristell and jumped over dardenne praire (where I was) and I watced the funnel lift off the ground and go over her neighborhood, then it hit the airport and again about 5 miles north of the city. Missouri is deffinently taking a beating this year from the storms. And My prayers go out to those in Joplin, My great aunt (90 years old!!) lives about 5 miles from where the tornado hit and was on her porch the whole time knitting she said haha she's one crazy old lady i'll tell you that

Well as i type this i have an f4 tornado headed my way. After that i have about an hour break and more storms are coming. Although it's pretty bad (my grandmas house looks like it got hit from a bomb) it's really nothing compared to joplin, MO. hope everyone is safe and sound! The news is making my damn town famous LOL

Well as i type this i have an f4 tornado headed my way. After that i have about an hour break and more storms are coming. Although it's pretty bad (my grandmas house looks like it got hit from a bomb) it's really nothing compared to joplin, MO. hope everyone is safe and sound! The news is making my damn town famous LOL

Looking at the radar now we are about to get slammed again..jeez. Time to plug the phone in @_@

I got slammed over here.. You should have seen how fast i ran out and covered my car with cardboard when it started hailing LOL.

We got hit extremely hard. I live a couple hours from Joplin and it got demolished. 8th most deadly and large tornado to hit the United States in its history. In case nobody heard about it, it was 1/2 mile wide, had winds up to 200mph, and traveled for 6 miles of complete destruction.

I happened to be on my way to Dallas when it hit and just barely missed it...by barely I mean seconds. I was stopped on I-44 at first for unknown reasons then when the weather cleared I found out there was a semi flipped over in the middle of the road. Then 13 more ahead of that (got it on video, try to get it up on here to show the devastation). We were the 5th vehicle in line behind the flipped semi so we couldn't have been far from being in the tornado. I may be going to volunteer this weekend or next week to help the victims there.

I know what you mean, we're no where near being back to normal here in Tuscaloosa. I have family by Springfield too so with us getting hammered a few weeks ago and then Joplin by two of the worst Tornadoes in US history I'm getting tired of it.

I assume storm shelters are pretty common in your area?

Yeah...not as common as they should be though. It's on my list if I ever find extra money laying around. :)

The conversation the other day went something like this:

Girlfriend: "Should we get in the truck and leave?"

Me: "Nah... we'll get in the closet with a bunch of pillows and be fine. It's reinforced and is surrounded by the heater closet and utility room, and we've got the garage between it and the southwest outside wall... so we'll be fine"

Storm Chaser for KFOR TV: "Mike, this thing just crossed NW Expressway and is about a mile wide. This thing's a monster Mike...easily an EF4 right now."

Me: "Give me the keys! GO GO GO GO...GO now!"

LOL

And we all know that's not going to happen. You'll find something cooler to spend it on LOL

LOL You know me too well.

Glad you're alright Craig, I think I'll stop complaining about all the rain and hail we've had now...

Thanks Zach.

Hail is just icing on the cake here. I had some 2" hail the night before with one of the average May thunderstorms that pass through here. :)

So you're saying if I ever come visit, do it during thunderstorm/tornado season.

Exactly! It's a blast! :D

For anyone interested - Here's the path and my house. The red stripe is major devastion; railroad cars tossed around, steel/concrete buildings gone, etc. The yellow is minor damage (small trees blown down, roof damage, etc.), caused by inflow and winds surrounding the tornado. The blue marker is my house.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam's mom just had a large tree fall across her Explorer while drive down the road this morning. Luckily she was only driving about 30 mph, and somehow was completely unharmed. The Explorer not-so-much though.

This country sure is getting some crazy weather and natural disasters so far this year.

EDIT: Yeah, way too close for comfort in that map above. That's a very wide path of destruction!

Each of the rural roads you see in that image run north/south or east/west, and are 1 mile apart. (The entire OKC area is laid out like a big scrabble board).

The red major damage path is about a mile wide at this point on average, and my house is a little less than 2 miles from it; minor damage was a little closer. This isn't the official storm track, but is based on what I saw while driving around and surveying the damage. According to news reports, the actual damage path extends an estimated 10-15 miles (or more) in both directions along the path I drew in on the map.

Last edited:
Now I feel for you OP, just got hit with some hail as well, it never does that around here, definitely caught me off guard. Sounded like a million baseballs were hitting my building.
The poor dsm got pounded, I went outside after it was over, don't see any small dents from it. It's all wet so it's hard to verify for sure, it'll be easier to tell for sure once its dry.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back