The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

steel nitrite rings for oem 7 bolt pistons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsek17

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2004
All over, Arizona
I was told by my machine shop yesterday that for boosted engines steel nitrite rings were the best direction to go. They said they have built several 4g63 engines and said that with the arp head studs and mls head gasket oem everything else I could safely boost 20psi, but he did recommend me to find a set of steel nitrite rings instead of stock. Does anyone know anywhere to find any steel nitrite rings that will fit the oem 7 bolt piston?

This is probably what you meant. But I would honestly do some more research on consider ditching the OEM Cast pistons. Look into some forged aluminum ones. Even used they are a better choice than cast pistons.

Machine shop advise, you have to love it. Did you ask him 20 psi on what turbo? Doubt he even knows the difference. What kind of power are you trying to make. Likely the oem cast pistons and rings will be just fine for your application.

Right now I am aiming for 400, but my overall goal is 600hp range. Right now I am only running an evo 3 16g. I was going to go with a hx35 next though.

I eventually want to go with wiseco hds and some eagle h beams, but for right now I cannot afford that setup.

This doesn't tell me anything about how much power you are trying to make on this current engine. What turbo are you planning on running on this engine and about how much horsepower are you expecting?

Right now I am aiming for 400, but my overall goal is 600hp range. Right now I am only running an evo 3 16g. I was going to go with a hx35 next though.

Are you planning on building a different short block before you step up to the 600 hp range? Some have taken the stock bottom end that far, but a perfect tune is mandatory.

I want to keep oem crank, as I have heard some good things about it, but for right now I am just rebuilding to get my car back up. I blew the rings in my engine. Basically just doing an oem rebuild for now, with arp head studs and mls gasket while I build up the parts to rebuild the way I want. I have a spare block and head I will be using for my 600hp build. I just want to run a good amount of boost to have fun with while I building up my other motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back