The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SSAutochrome O2 housing. Here we go!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey, this seems like a good thread to ask what you guys thing about my new o2 housing

came with my VRS o2 elim DP

2.5"

the design surprized me a bit when i got it, but it seems to be working so far. i'm only questioning whether or not i'll be able to get my (evo) oil filter off next weekend with the damn triangular flange.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,225
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,216
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,203
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,229
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,212
have any of you guys tried to weld a tial wastegate onto any of these o2 housings? I know there was earlier talk of this in the thread but i think it died down. If it worked, it would be worthwhile and cheaper than most o2 housings that are flanged for the tial.

rnr racing makes a o2 housing with a tube for the tial wastegate. check it out at rnrracing .com

well i hope the ss works i am waiting on mine to come in i ordered the o2 housing dump tube to the atmos...an the tubular header ...hope i didnt get scwered for 300.oo

Street Surgeon said:
It's pretty common for the O2 sensor to get stuck in ANY O2 housing, I always put some nickel grease on the threads before I put those monkeys in and have never had a problem since :D

Anti-sieze, same stuff you should use on your spark plugs :cool:

well my ss autochrome 02 tubular housing came today, i had to grind some of the bolts holes out to match it up to my t04b vtrim, but i got it on, also had to grind some of the gasket and part of the 02 housing where the flapper for the internal wastegate comes up. just grinded it out alittle and it works nice, ill post some more when i put it on. after i get back from vacation. cant wait, see what shes got!

masemn said:
DICKHEADS ARE FROM THE HILLS OF NORTH CAROLINA'THEY ALSO GO BY THE NAME OF XS-POWER WARRENTYSCRAFICED MY EBAY MEMBERSHIP!!up there ass!!

Yeah they're from Mooresville 25 min north on Charlotte. in hee haw land of NASCAR

i have that same o2 housing. good price but did not fit without redrilling a front hole. someone needs to send them the correct hole measurements to save thier ass! :thumb:

I bought one about a month ago just out of morbit curiosity and to get rid of the godawful external dump. I promised myself I wouldn't cheap out, but I figured what the hell. I know a few guys that TIG anyway. After about 2 hours of grinding (carbide bit) away at pipe overlap and matching it up to the 50trim I was satisfied. The pipe itself is kind of thin, but the welds were decent. It bolted up with ease.

Been running about a month now with no evidence of it grenading yet. Car creeps and holds 18psi on a 15 pound actuator. So far I'm happy, but the outlook of it lasting a long time probably won't happen.

On a side note, Nick, any discoloration you see is probably from the chrome coating on the pipe. My O2 is just starting to chip.

I got my SSautocrome O2 w/external. I personally didn't want to go external but It was the best deal. I had to trim a lot off the external dump tube to get my 3" RNR DP to fit. I also had to fit the mounting hole as it wasn't a perfect fit.

It hasn't cracked and I've put about 1K miles of hard driving on it. I paid $80 shipped for it. If I had to do over again I would get the NS unit. I was actually going back and forth between the two when I bought mine. If you have the tools to fix it to fit it's a decent cheap alteritive to the expensive tubler O2's. But it's definitly not a bolt on item.

i have this o2 housing on my car with the dumptube...

installation was easy, i installed it with the turbo on the car, been running it for about 1k miles, no problems. :thumb:

I bought SSautochrome's 3" SS o2 housing back in Feb. when I installed my 20g, for $102 shipped I couldn't be more happy. So far no cracks, the SS did blue, but on well it looks ok still. I did have to drill out a hole in the flange a hair bigger, but no biggy. Other then that it bolted up just fine and I noticed a big difference over the stock 1g o2 housing. Spoolup increased as well as boost creep vanished.

I'm surprisingly pleased with the product.

I've also purchased the SSA 3" o2 housing but I havent installed it yet. It looks really well made but as everyone else has stated it doesnt bolt right up without a little grinding. I will post my results on this product when I get my engine back in.

Any update from whoever Installed the SS Autochrome O2 housing?
???

I am interested to know....

titogs95 said:
Any update from whoever Installed the SS Autochrome O2 housing?
???

I am interested to know....

Yes, I have...
1) Be prepared to massage the bolt holes...they are OFF. I took a drill bit a size or two larger than the holes and redrilled all of them.

2) Be prepared to have the flange machined flat. They seem to flatten their flanges and then weld the tubes to them, which cause it to warp. SO, yours will not be flat, I'll put money on it ;).

3) OPTIONAL...if you are ticky like me, then you will want to smooth the inside of the tubes where they meet. there is about an 1/8" overlay where the smaller wastegate tube meets the turbine tube. I also radiused (sp?) the flange so the flapper could open up and gasket matched it to my turbine housing, but I am very meticulous cause I'm weird like that. :cool:

Anywho, for #2, I actually used a vertical belt disk sander and very slowly pressed it into the belt (120 grit i believe) and after 30mins I had it flat.
I checked it on a granite slab to make sure it was flat. OH, and a tip if you use this method. Get some spraypaint (I used machinist blue marking paint, which wipes off with alcohol) and spray the flange. That way you can see where your flat surface (lows and highs) after you start to sand on it.
If yours was like mine, the wastegate end will be close to 1/8" higher than the other end if you have it flat on the table.

OR...you could hand it to a machine shop tell them to get the flange flat and drop a $20 and be done with it. Your call.

Altogether, I spent about 1 hour of my time fixing the $73 dollar (shipped) SS autocrapper to what I think is the same if not better than the $200+ O2 housings out there.

Ltr,
MM

Mine is installed and it works well so far. To make a long story short everything that he^^ said is absolutely TRUE. Its not a bad deal for the price. I just took mine to the machine shop and they hooked me up for free since I got my engine done there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back