The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

SSAutochrome O2 housing. Here we go!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Surgeon

15+ Year Contributor
May 24, 2003
Omaha, Nebraska
Haha, well a while back my brother bought an SSAutocrap manifold for his SR20DET T3 setup. The thing just sucked total balls and never made it on the car. I've seen their crap manifolds and turbos etc, read the horror threads etc....

ENTER..... THE TEST!

I was in the market for a new O2 housing, was looking at some really nice machv 2.5" tubular O2 housings and the like. Just kept putting it off for a bit since I'm taking my time getting everything together for the Talon. Anyway, the other day I was on ebay and punched in "dsm o2" in the hopes of snagging a deal. Well look what pops out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7959279301&category=33742&sspagename=WDVW

With an initial price of 60, buy it now at 95. The product looks decent, if nothing else it at least has to be a marked improvement over stock. More thought lead me to believe that this wasn't a part that really would be "supporting" alot of weight like their maifolds or anything since the manifold holds the turbo, and the downpipe has that support right where it meets the downpipe. All it really has to do is hold tight. Really as long as this thing just stays put we shouldn't have an issue.... I searched here but couldn't find any dirt on it, and decided.... Hell why not, at that price I can't do anything but grin and bear it if it goes south. If not, what a deal. Pics from the finished product and a brief review to follow, should get it in a few days.

May god have mercy on the Talon...

I am interested in seeing how it works out for you. Please keep me/us posted.

from what I have read, it is not the workmanship of the product, it is material failures that cause the problems. They are just not using strong enough tubing, or correct bracing correct?

I mean their products look great, just the materials used are not propper for the use.

It looks like they have ported it? I have never seen a tubular O2 housing that has been ported, I thought that was the point of using a tubular design :confused:

Stoner said:
It looks like they have ported it? I have never seen a tubular O2 housing that has been ported, I thought that was the point of using a tubular design :confused:

Ah well yeah, generally that's the idea... More flow and with a tubular design there shouldn't be much for you to "port" but I suppose they just threw that in there to draw in people that want a "ported" O2 housing. As for the materials really what I've seen of theirs that is crappy so far is...

1. Tubular header / manifods tend to crack and or break at the seams... More so around the collector and right where the ss tubes meet the exhaust port flange. This of course is due to the fact that they're supporting all the weight of the turbo and downpipe etc aka poor design.

2. Generally crappy attention to detail. Especially where the runners met into the collector it was TERRIBLE! Sooooo crappy words can't begin to describe it :laugh:

On the O2 housing it's almost foolproof. It's definitely going to be interesting to see if they can screw that up!!! As long as there are no blatant obstructions and it's not made out of cardboard I can't see how they can really screw it up assuming their taiwanese 8yo welds 1/2way decent. So we'll see.... Just a few days more...

Ya keep us updated on how this piece functions. I was thinking the same thing "how bad can they really be, its only an O2 housing" & for the price. But if it falls apart in a month, I guess its not such as good deal :p

hey i was on ebay as well... looking for o2 housings, saw that one and it looked great... then i saw the dreaded "ssautochrome" seller name :thumbdown ... kinda turned me off to it with everything ive heard about their headers... also from the pix the flanges and the tubing do look like 2 different metals again... kinda scares me... keep us updated on the part b/c it looks nice but will it function??? im interested in finding out through you...

thanks

SSAutochrome, Pacesetter, & OBX all need to merge into 1 company. Then maybe they can maybe make a quality product.

i've had my pacesetter dp since 2001 and it's still holding up. maybe i got lucky :shhh:

Well... I got an email in the other day saying that I could expect my package shortly and they provided a tracking number. Today the package arrived and I snapped some quick pictures.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After looking at the thing I matched up the flange to my PTE 50trim that I've got layin' around and it matched up fine from what I could see. It maaaaaaaaaaaay need some minor grinding to make it fit but that's just speculation. Everything looks like it should bolt up perfectly but if anything is *slightly* off it shouldn't be any kind of problem. The welds appeared to be pretty good. Apparently the tiawanese 8 year olds are gettin' pretty good these days :p Only thing that bothered me was that the flanges apparently aren't made of stainless as evidenced by the oxidation / rust on the flange that meets the turbo (mores specifically where the wastegate passage is) but to be honest I could give a crap as long as it does what it's supposed to. I'll let you guys know more as I find more out. So far so good.

Take some close up pics of the welds. I can't see well from those pictures but it looks like the 8yr old that welded that up actually remembered to turn on the argon :rolleyes:

To quote the famous Kia slogan: "Best Initial Quality, in it's class." :thumb:

Looks like the only thing wrong is they don't use the bigger evo3 flange but hell at that price you can't complain as long as it stays together. Maybe something good will come from ssautochrome after all... we'll see

I wonder why the put a bolt in the o2 bung?
Either way it looks decent for the price. The welds look consistant, but a few heat cycles will tell soon enough. They probably would have been better off using a slotted flange where it bolts to the DP to slightly bandaid any fitment issues.

GoldÐiamond said:
I thought you were selling your car?

About 6 months ago, no one wanted it soooooo I'm actually going to be putting her in a storage garage for about a year while I take a lil' vacation. I'll see how I feel about her when I get back. 'Til then I have a new project. :thumb:

Back on track I'll get some more closeup pics of the welds later today.

Those welds look better then I expected :thumb: , I figured they'd have a pic of an O2 sensor housing with nice welds on the ad, then when you actually got it, it would look nothing like the pic. Now we just need to see how it fits & how long it takes to fall apart :D . Keep us posted on how it works

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back