The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Sputtering and leaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGST90

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2010
Houston, Texas
Ok, here's my problem. I went outside and started my car..ok it came on for a while then the idle lowered and it died, so then I started it again and had to give it a little gas for like a minute and stayed on, so I drove it around and gave it some gas, then it started sputtering and making this grinding type noise, so I pulled over and opened my hood and I get hit with heat and I look and see oil was all over the transaxle and my upper intercooling piping came off...help..

Ok, I found where the leak is coming from the Crank Position Sensor. Some ppl online say it's common and some ppl say replace the seal...which should I do?

Did you identify what the grinding noise is?

Yes, replace the seal. Oil leaks aren't anything to be proud of.

the grinding type noise, I think my sensor came loose and it was just misfiring. Because my intercooling piping came off. so ill replace the seal and put the piping back together and tell u if it is still making the grinding noise or not

Cheap unrolled IC pipe?
Do yourself a favor and have it rolled or get a weld tacked on the end of it. If you blew it off once, it's gonna happen again.

Well the piping is wrong on it and then I think the misfiring didn't help. I let someone I thought knew what he was doing, do the piping for me, because I didn't have time and he needed money, learn my lesson...

Live and learn.

I did my own piping on mine. Easy Actually.
Just needed to have beads of weld around 3 ends when I was done. And the BOV flange welded on.
saved me 200 doing it myself though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back