The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECUflash Speed Density, ECUFlash, Ceddymods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etay89

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2009
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Please, I want to keep this limited to people who are running Speed Density with Ecuflash and Ceddymods. I don't want any arguments or anything of the like.

Anyways, I want to know what I need to run SD. I've spent alot of time reading and while theres a lot of link support, not alot of ecuflash. On one hand, there's this one thread that says I need 1 thing: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/358515-dsmlink-ecuflash.html#post152079992...and others seem like I need multiple items. Which is it? what do I really need?

Is it as simple as replacing the sensors and plugging everything back up or is there something more?

I already have the ecu, tactrix cable, and ceddy mods. I did spend a few hours reading on how SD works but I kept seeing what you need to run SD on link, not ecuflash.

The reason is because ecuflash is (relatively) new and only used by a few people. Some people just know of ecmlink and I see them recommending it to people who have a 98-99.

While my car isn't running yet, I have looked into sd on ceddymod and I decided to go with a gm maf. For simplicity you can run without a iat

Is it as simple as replacing the sensors and plugging everything back up or is there something more?

I already have the ecu, tactrix cable, and ceddy mods. I did spend a few hours reading on how SD works but I kept seeing what you need to run SD on link, not ecuflash.

http://ceddy.us/ceddymods/speed-density/

That breaks down what you need to do to run speed density with ceddy mods.

I would recommend running an IAT sensor. It helps even out AFR changes due to air temp changes. I had mine unplugged by accident and I noticed it was much leaner on cold starts and much richer on a hot day and full boost.

You have to solder the IAT wires into the IAT pin of the MAF and then solder the MAP harness into the MDP harness. 4 things to solder and you're done. Easy.

I tapped my UICP a few inches before the TB for the IAT.

I would recommend running an IAT sensor. It helps even out AFR changes due to air temp changes. I had mine unplugged by accident and I noticed it was much leaner on cold starts and much richer on a hot day and full boost.

You have to solder the IAT wires into the IAT pin of the MAF and then solder the MAP harness into the MDP harness. 4 things to solder and you're done. Easy.

I tapped my UICP a few inches before the TB for the IAT.

I want to second the importance of having an IAT sensor hooked up. They're relatively cheap, easy to install (weld a bung on your upper intercooler pipe near the IM). There's no reason to go the SD route and cheap out on that. Anyhow, I had a similar incident. My battery died and ECMLink reverted back to an old tune. This tune didn't have my IAT in the "pin assignments" dialog. Needless to say, the ECU had no idea what my intake temps were. The car didn't run like usual. Once I discovered the error and corrected it, the car felt really smooth again.

Are the 98/99 ECUs not able to run ECMLink? I know they figured out a way to use non-eprom ECUs for a minimal fee..but didn't know if the above poster is saying ECMLink is a no-go for 98-99 ECUs.

It's not that it's a waste, Wes, but the fact they can't convert them. The plastic case ECU's have a completely different board setup (I think they utilize two boards instead of one) and does not allow any conversion.

So no, '98/'99 ECU's are not able to run ECMlink. Only '95-'97 ECU's are.

I don't think there are many more features with ECMlink than there are with ECUflash. The fact that so many more people are running it make it easier to get help. They even have their own forums. If we had that kind of support then I think a lot of people would have an easier time with it. I think it's pretty easy to tune with just by reading the ECUflash thread, but I haven't done much tuning. To the OP, you might be lucky and have a flashable ECU depending on your manufacturing date. Some of the late 97s had the black box ECU's.

It's not that it's a waste, Wes, but the fact they can't convert them. The plastic case ECU's have a completely different board setup (I think they utilize two boards instead of one) and does not allow any conversion.

So no, '98/'99 ECU's are not able to run ECMlink. Only '95-'97 ECU's are.

I know the 98/99 ECUs use a different processor. It's still just 1 board. But the insides are completely different.

98/99
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

95 EPROM
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I meant it would be a waste in the sense that selling your 98/99 ecu (get ~$125) then buying a EPROM ecu (~$150) would be cheaper than getting the 98/99 converted ($185), if it were even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are many more features with ECMlink than there are with ECUflash. The fact that so many more people are running it make it easier to get help. They even have their own forums. If we had that kind of support then I think a lot of people would have an easier time with it. I think it's pretty easy to tune with just by reading the ECUflash thread, but I haven't done much tuning. To the OP, you might be lucky and have a flashable ECU depending on your manufacturing date. Some of the late 97s had the black box ECU's.

There is a better support forum for ECMLink, and there are a few pretty big features ECUFlash doesn't have (yet).

GM MAF w/o translator
Faster datalogging (1000 samples/s vs. 200 samples/s)
Dual-bank injectors
Dual maps

Now the Evo guys have narrowed that down a bit more. They have Dual maps and DMA datalogging that allows crazy high speed datalogging too.

As much as I love using ECUFlash, ECMLink seems to be more plug and play since ECUFlash doesn't have much for a GUI.

There is a better support forum for ECMLink, and there are a few pretty big features ECUFlash doesn't have (yet).

GM MAF w/o translator
Dual-bank injectors
Dual maps

Now the Evo guys have narrowed that down a bit more. They have Dual maps and DMA datalogging that allows crazy high speed datalogging too.

As much as I love using ECUFlash, ECMLink seems to be more plug and play since ECUFlash doesn't have much for a GUI.

Whoa, I didn't know that ECMLink had GM MAF w/o translator. That's pretty badass. But I'm sure for the OP's goals, ECUFlash will be more than enough...if he has a flashable ECU

I said a million times..I got the ecu, I got the cable..I'm already using ecuflash, but because I have a 7 blade holset, kelford 272s on order, building a head, etc., I wanted to know more about SD because I'm positive ill make more than 400 and I know the stock maf can't flow that much.

ECM Link has more features, More feedback, more people running it, so you have a better chance of getting your questions answered.

I'm thinking you haven't checked into ECU Flash or the mods available then. I highly doubt there's more people running link than ecu flash. Go check out the Evos.

GM MAF w/o translator
Dual-bank injectors
Dual maps

Unreal user support at evolutionm.
Why are people so excited by the gm maf (other than the vented BOV obsession)? Get an Evo maf if you have more than 500hp.
Why would you need 1000 samples per second? I log more stuff than necessary and still have plenty of data points; more would just make it a pain since I prefer looking at my logs in excel.
ECU Flash is the GUI. I don't get what you mean.

If you want more options, as you said, get an Evo 8 ECU since the 98/99 flashing only has basically one guy working on it. There's not really a difference from running Evo vs 98/99 other than swapping like 4 wires which is simple. I've ran both & have swapped back and forth even.

Last edited:
I said a million times..I got the ecu, I got the cable..I'm already using ecuflash...

:thumb:

I was about to comment about that. Lots of people posted without reading your first post about no arguments or comments on anything but speed density with ECUFlash.

The post from CarlzOr four down from your original post has a link to Ceddy's site. That tells you all you need to know for speed density. And it references EVOScan which is what you use with ECUFlash. I assume you have EVOScan then?

I already have the ecu, tactrix cable, and ceddy mods.

What Ceddy mods are you referring to? The IAT and MAP sensor?

You also mentioned you read up a bunch on it. Not sure what/where you read but these might be useful:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/387423-speed-density-ecuflash.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/391866-what-map-sensor-iat-speed-density.html

Good luck! I aim to get EVOScan with the Openport 1.3U cable and ECUFlash along with the Ceddy mod in a few months.

Good luck! I aim to get EVOScan with the Openport 1.3U cable and ECUFlash along with the Ceddy mod in a few months.
You'll need the Openport 2.0 cable for a DSM ECU and Ceddymods. The 1.3 doesn't supply the needed voltage to reflash a DSM ECU. Evo 8 ECUs generate the reflash voltage internally, that's why they can use them.

You'll need the Openport 2.0 cable for a DSM ECU and Ceddymods. The 1.3 doesn't supply the needed voltage to reflash a DSM ECU. Evo 8 ECUs generate the reflash voltage internally, that's why they can use them.

OK yeah I just posted on another thread about that. EvoScan's website was unclear which cable to use for our cars for reflashing/tuning/datalogging but implied the 1.3U would be fine.

Here's the other thread:

99 Gst Ecu flash/system

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back