The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Solomon's Murray Explorer - Predator 212 Staged Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@1990TSIAWDTALON I got it all finished, and this thing is FAST. I took it down the street and at a high speed the wheel bearing gave out, slinging sparks all over the place and slowing me way down. Tomorrow at some point during the daylight I will get some riding video for you.:)

One thing you have to be sure of is that the chain has the perfect amount of tension on it. I had it too tight to start with and it had terrible clutch drag as soon as I started it. I then moved the engine about a half inch closer to the sprocket to get a little slack, and it engages very smoothly now.

If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask me. The process was a little to long to list everything. Here's todays video.

I assume that you are using the new GoPro, I like the video! Glad the cart is going, does the clutch move the cart relatively easy???

Since Santa forgot me, I have my Gopro on the way as of yesterday.....I guess I was a bad boy so he didn't get me anything.

I assume that you are using the new GoPro, I like the video! Glad the cart is going, does the clutch move the cart relatively easy???
Since Santa forgot me, I have my Gopro on the way as of yesterday.....I guess I was a bad boy so he didn't get me anything.
The clutch chatters just a little on the first ride, like a break in period. But after that first ride it is very responsive and gets the kart moving pretty quick. The swap takes a little time and skill, but I 100% recommend it, you will get much better results than that torque converter. And you save about 20 pounds too :)

EDIT: the weight results are in. the total weight saved is 35 pounds. Not bad, huh?

@1990TSIAWDTALON

Last edited:
Today I did 2 things. First thing I did was replace the front wheel bearings, since I toasted those yesterday. Second thing I did was lose traction at the coldisac and demolish my neighbors power box and water meter. LOL I cleaned up the ness the best I could, but my back still hurts a little. But damn, this thing will MOVE!

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructional video, I love it!
Now.....some Action video!!! :)
Which engagement clutch did you use, a 1800 rpm or 2300 rpm engagement unit?

Did you smack into the trash cans Sol???
ROFLROFLROFL
Oh siht, the meter box and water meter???
Hurt the cart any??? Bahaha

Thanks for the instructional video, I love it!
Now.....some Action video!!! :)
Which engagement clutch did you use, a 1800 rpm or 2300 rpm engagement unit?
2200 rpm. You replied 1 minute too late. See above for video^ ROFL

I was looking for your brake rotor and caliper and they seem to be missing, where is the brake at???
Or do you Fred Flintstone it???

I was looking for your brake rotor and caliper and they seem to be missing, where is the brake at???
Or do you Fred Flintstone it???
The rotor is there, just on the right side of the drive sprocket in the video. But the caliper is not there, I lost the spring when trying to tighten it so I have to order a new one

We DITCHED that dam spring. I told Trevor to put something SOLID in its place for better braking and here is what WE did (its a test but works very good, no sponge feeling). There shouldnt be springs in a braking system :f-u:
An adjustable ROD would be a good replacement. Brakes are much more solid and can lock up the tires now.
15775523237088476278974900522532.jpg

Hurt the cart any?
Just another dent in the front... That's ok, it just gives it some character! LOL
We DITCHED that dam spring. I told Trevor to put something SOLID in its place for better braking and here is what WE did (its a test but works very good, no sponge feeling). There shouldnt be springs in a braking system :f-u:
An adjustable ROD would be a good replacement. Brakes are much more solid and can lock up the tires now.
View attachment 586915
Thank you for sharing that. I'm about to order a whole new brake setup. Something is wrong with the caliper, the pads are worn, springs and bolts are missing... I'll just start fresh and maybe have a good working system.

Nah, Trevor has you covered until you need a better one. We'll get together!

I got the brakes installed. I guess at this point the build is finished. Until I can go stage 4 on the engine with nitrous LOL. Everything fits well, although a little tight. And everything works very good. I'm happy with the results. Here's some finished pictures. Sorry for the dirt, I couldn't help myself, riding it for the past few days.

GOPR0036.JPG
GOPR0035.JPG
GOPR0034.JPG
GOPR0033.JPG

Since I deleted the governor, I've been experiencing a little valve float on the top end. So tonight I ordered some 18lb valve springs to replace the stock 10lb ones. That should cure the valve float and still leave room for more modification. I also ordered a clear valve cover, because why not? I can see inside my engine while it's running :hellyeah:.

Install video coming soon!

Did a little more maintenance to get it smoother. And installed the stage 1 kit. Top speed is a little higher and acceleration is a little better. Next mods are tearing it down for new rings, honing, billet rod, PVL 17,000 rpm flywheel, oil sensor delete, head porting, etc etc you get the point. The goal is to accelerate as fast as possible and maybe go 60 at the same time.

Just take a moment to admire this honing and surfacing work... I did it right here in my garage... It doesn't look half bad, I can't wait to get it all together and put back in. But I'll have to be patient, parts aren't even here yet...

STILL PLAYS WITH BLOCKS!!!

GOPR0162.JPG

Pretty Solomon! :) Do you think you can get a good cross hatch on the cylinder or can I just not see it?
Anyway, good work, nice and shiney!!
Trevor showed me a cool part, IDK what he is doing (you probably do) but take a look....
20200227_153551_resized.jpg

Pretty Solomon! :) Do you think you can get a good cross hatch on the cylinder or can I just not see it?
Anyway, good work, nice and shiney!!
Trevor showed me a cool part, IDK what he is doing (you probably do) but take a look....
View attachment 592428
I also have one of those on the way. That's the billet rod, meant to withstand up to 10,000 rpm. The stock rod can break at 6,000 rpm, I consider myself lucky to have ran it there so many times.

It's kinda hard to get a cross hatch with a drill, I'll have to hone it some more tonight anyway since there's still a couple vertical scratches.

What size is the bore? I hone all of my blocks with a drill and a flex hone.

The stock bore is like 2.756 inches. I'm using a flex hone on the drill you see in the pic. It works quickly and smoothly.

I just realized, the reason I didn't get a steep cross hatch is because I didn't size the hone down before use, so it's set to like a 4 inch cylinder LOL. I'll size it down tonight when I hone it again.

Nonetheless you can still admire my head surfacing for now!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back