The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

side exit exhaust [Merged 1-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looks good Kyle, I have a very similar 90db setup hanging on my wall in the garage. Once you get it on the track at high rpms the fire will glow freely...

I'm sure it will, I'm already slightly worried about overheating that passenger side rear with open flame :D

mavisky said:
I'm sure it will, I'm already slightly worried about overheating that passenger side rear with open flame :D

When I first installed mine, I ended up melting some of the side skirt on my original body kit. Since then I've added an aluminum shroud to protect from the heat and flames. I have photos some where of the dragon breath belching from my cars exhaust pipe...

Looks great, I don't know if it was from the exhaust exiting on the opposite side of the camera but it didn't sound as loud as some of the other exhausts. Sounds like greg has a good idea with the heat shield, you might have to bend something up. :thumb:

Off topic: you had quite the group of DSMers going there and a few other cars just to slow it down some huh. :D

DSMunknown said:
Just for the 2G guys looking at this thread, Team MotoCrew has done it before with a 1997 GSX:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

yeah that 2nd gen was in the back of a modified mag once they were making fun of the spoiler or something like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
GSTinCO said:
Looks great, I don't know if it was from the exhaust exiting on the opposite side of the camera but it didn't sound as loud as some of the other exhausts. Sounds like greg has a good idea with the heat shield, you might have to bend something up. :thumb:

Off topic: you had quite the group of DSMers going there and a few other cars just to slow it down some huh. :D

Yea, I think the exhaust exiting the other way kept it quieter. Here's another pass of me trying out the dual stage boost controller. FYI, I never actually made it past the 45mph speed limit on this road due to the spinning. I pass the other truck as he's slowing for the red light that changed right as I hit second gear. Remember kid's testing out boost controller's on the street is bad. Once again filmed with my friend's digital camera and not an actual camcorder.

Look at the curb and you can see the black smoke from it running a tad rich in cold weather.

As the title says I wanted to get some input from others about running the exhasut out the passenger side of the car just in front of the rear tire. My reason for this is less bends and not having to squeeze a 3" pipe up over the axle. Thanks for the input . Travis

I am running a side exit exhaust, and I love it. I got the idea from when my brother had it on his 05 focus. I just took it to the local muffler shop and had them cut the stock exhaust and attatch a pipe going out the side of the car. It looks and sounds straight race. I still have stock exhaust, cat and all, all the way to where it is turned out towards the passenger side. I bet with an aftermarket cat, or none at all it would sound even better. If I am beside another car or wall, I can barely hear my turbo spooling thru the exhaust, - cat and it would be loud.

Ive searched but just found this on a 1g. But has anyone ever seen this on a 2g? Not coming out the front bumper though, like angled out the side just behind the driver door. Im thinking of having one custom made for both performance and visual reasons, just because ive never seen it on a 2g i think it would be pretty different and a bit nicer then running just an open DP. What do you guys think?

its be cool on the track, but i do know that your car is a street car and the cops do too. so you will be geting pulled over of that, you need a cat and a can for the ar well being to breth clean are and not have to hear the sound of a import car going down the road 2am in the more waking evenyone up. the cops hate that shit. and so do the people that live around you

Depending on where he is from he might not need a cat. And as for a muffler again it all depends on what his local cops are like. It some small ass towns they could care less but in Cali or places similar you are going to have a tough time passing smog.

Depending on where he is from he might not need a cat. And as for a muffler again it all depends on what his local cops are like. It some small ass towns they could care less but in Cali or places similar you are going to have a tough time passing smog.

dude hes from Pennsylvania, the do have the emishons law and nosie there

and its the law for all the states to have a car, and lil redneck town the cops would be on his ass the worst because they are pore and need money just like me and you

Jeff822 said:
Ive searched but just found this on a 1g. But has anyone ever seen this on a 2g? Not coming out the front bumper though, like angled out the side just behind the driver door. Im thinking of having one custom made for both performance and visual reasons, just because ive never seen it on a 2g i think it would be pretty different and a bit nicer then running just an open DP. What do you guys think?

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242446

There are like 8 threads on this already.

Please show me. All ive come up on are 1g's, and no pics of any on 2g's. If you've got the links then post them for me, dont just give me a sarcastic reply.

Jeff822 said:
Please show me. All ive come up on are 1g's, and no pics of any on 2g's. If you've got the links then post them for me, dont just give me a sarcastic reply.

Maybe you overlooked my post in the link I gave (probably because the picture was not showing). I came across a great picture of how one would go about doing something similar to what Moto Crew did, but I can't seem to find it. I will look again later.

Maybe you overlooked my post in the link I gave (probably because the picture was not showing). I came across a great picture of how one would go about doing something similar to what Moto Crew did, but I can't seem to find it. I will look again later.
Yea, i saw it i forgot to say thanks:thumb: . Took me a minute to see where the exhaust was coming fromROFL. Im looking for something more along the lines of coming out under the side skirt just behind the door or something. I think one would look sick coming out to one of those rectagular polished tips.

Side exit, like side pipes on Vipers? Or side exit through the front bumper? If it involves a cutout, it's illegal in Colorado, so a short dump off the DP is illegal (but I've got one anyway). If it's got all the emissions intact, and it's quiet enough, then it can exit anywhere and be legal. So says the muffler shop down the street from me.

what are ya thinking? I have built quite a few side exits for syclone's and have some pretty sweet drawings and design ideas for a DSM using oval pipe and having it exit right before the pass rear tire.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back