The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

side exit exhaust [Merged 1-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

if you dont go up and put it through the skirt... i would be worried about clearence and maybe messing it up on some weird angles or a bottoming out... but if you pull it off... i bet it will look awesome...

wade

Ya thats a good idea. Ive seen other cars do it and it looks pretty cool. Make sure you use a decent tip though becuase you just dont want a pipe sticking out of the side. : (

mn95TSi said:
i'd go with a glasspack or something, then just a tip (no muffler for a tip that would look ugly). side pipe would be awesome, maybe even get a dual tip for looks...or run a dual setup and one on each side.

-alex

Glasspacks sound horrible unless you have a big block. Especially a 4 cylinder or 6.
There is a SRT4 in town that has a straight pipe, it sounds exactly like a cummins dually! I would recommend straight pipe before glasspack.

I have a side exit fab'd for my 91 tsi. I have a shorty DP, with a 90degree mandrel out in back of the front right wheel, JUST 3 INCH piping, no muff, no cat, sounds real mean, backfires real loud, and attracts everyone including cops. Its not my daily so i dont care because it does sound mean. But if its your daily driver your gonna wanna put a bullet in your head on long trips IE longer than 10 minutes. But very cool, and noone around where I am from has one!!!

Im sorry i forgot, i was planning on a drivers side exit, but went against it due to the extra noise. Also you may not want to cross all that Driveshaft mess be coming over to the drivers side, passenger side makes hanging and mounting it hella easier!

Now Im gonna rip apart my exhaust you guys 500 dollars it cost me and now do a custom job and do a side pipe exit you guys make it sound so exciting yay

im interested in this too, we did one on my friends srt, and we used the exhaust tip from an older F body camaro. You know the ugly flat thin ones...did the trick and was awesome for clearance, since its only like 1 1/2" open, but 5" long

Depending on how low the car is you'll have to be careful not to bottom it out. The system will hang down - especially a 3" system - fairly low. I'd at least run a canister (turbo) type muffler on it. Without any muffler it will be loud enough to give you a headache.

the more you keep it simple the better, like i said, ive got 2 pieces, just downpipe and 3inch stainless pipe with a bend.

OnMyWayTo12Secs said:
the more you keep it simple the better, like i said, ive got 2 pieces, just downpipe and 3inch stainless pipe with a bend.
Think You Can Get Some Good Pictures???

let me get my digi cam back from my buddy, and i will try and PM you some pics, but being a big giant fat guy, im not gonna be able to get under the car to well. I will def try and post some though! LOL

Run a Dynomax bullet muffler where your cat was, it'll keep the noise down a little. I've been considering the same idea lately. On the fwd cars the exhaust even makes a 90 degree turn right before the passenger rear tire anyways.

I know someoonre with a N/t eclipse with dual side exit exhaust it looks awesome (even without tips) and sounds ok.

I personaly love side exit exhaust as long as its in front of the rear tire.

But I wouldn't go with a 90 degree bend.

Wouldn't that cause alot of backpressure where the turbulence hits that bend?

LazerSRT-4 said:
I know someoonre with a N/t eclipse with dual side exit exhaust it looks awesome (even without tips) and sounds ok.

I personaly love side exit exhaust as long as its in front of the rear tire.

But I wouldn't go with a 90 degree bend.

Wouldn't that cause alot of backpressure where the turbulence hits that bend?

It's a curved 2 1/2" bend, not a straight angled 90. Just like you'd find on any other intercooler or exhaust setup. Infact since the stock exhaust does it anyways and then continues to jump up and over the rear axle on a 1g it'd probably be a major reduction in backpressure. Now making it diverge into a dual exit would be neat, but would require a smooth transition from one pipe into two.

JayRolla said:
I dont know how it would look on a DSM, but my buddy a side pipe on his conquest. Straight pipe, no cat's, and no muff, sounded real mean. Cant remember what side it was routed to though.

Most cars that have straight pipes sound mean! ROFL

Looking to free up a little hp and save some weight on this fwd. The exhaust already is extremely easy to route out the side, I'm just wanting to know who's done it and what inline mufflers (glasspack, dynomax bullet) you've used to keep the noise to a reasonable level.

Mines routed out the side. I am running a mandrel bent 3" turbo back with no cat or muffler.

My car is tuned really well, its actually quiter than most ricey hondas and old muscle cars.

mavisky said:
Looking to free up a little hp and save some weight on this fwd. The exhaust already is extremely easy to route out the side, I'm just wanting to know who's done it and what inline mufflers (glasspack, dynomax bullet) you've used to keep the noise to a reasonable level.
Well I'm copying this setup. Check out the thread Second post :thumb:
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211703

I have 3 pipe setups (3-bolts and it's changed out) depending on the DB level of the track. A straight pipe, a bullet, and one that quiets it down to 90db for Laguna Seca...

Kyle,
I'm running a 3" all the way back and out the side, with an RRE shorty glasspack. We did David's car with the same setup, but with no glasspack. I have the 3 bolt connectors to add a second disconnect behind the glasspack in order to replace it with a straight pipe, but I've never installed them.

:)

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to fab up one quickly with no muffler inline to see how it sounds, then maybe I'll tone it down later with a cheapo glasspack, Racer Parts Wholesale here in Indianapolis offers one in 2.5" for only $11 hahaa.

I noticed greg runs a turndown and some others run an actual side exit under the side cladding. Any reasons behind your particular decisions?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back