The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Show us your DIY paint job!

What kind of paintjob do you have?

• $$$$ BLING BLING BLING $$$$ Paintjob!

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Had a reputable shop do a pretty awesome job.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Paid Maaco for to paint my car.

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Did it myself!

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Rattle Canned, Rolled on, primered, other crazy possibilities.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Fresh from Mitsubishi/Eagle/Plymouth.

Votes: 35 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atruepretense

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2009
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Yo everyone!

So I was sitting at my computer, and got an inspiration to paint my car myself. I thought, hell why not?! If it comes out bad, I'll just get it done by a professional.

So I want to see your DIY paintjobs! Even if they are crappy, rattle canned, rolled on, shake and baked, whatever, post em' up here and show off your paint :)
If yours was not DIY or even if it's original, throw it up also!

A clear picture would be best, maybe a front, side, and back shot, and a small description of what you did? Mine won't be up until I'm done, but they're coming!

EDIT:

I'll start off the pics. Here's my 95 Talon TSi AWD. Paint is not bad in itself, no rust anywhere, but it does need some work for sure. It will be repainted sometime this summer. Total DIY job. I'm holding off because I'm looking for a 97-99 GSX front bumper, or a 97-99 Talon bumper. This is straight from Mitsu/Chrysler/Whoever. I'm thinking of going with a Pearl white, like a BMW white, or possibly some shade of gray.

Front:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Back:

Side:

Last edited:
A friend and I painted my car last summer. Color is "Super Jet Black" which actually is a much darker and deeper black than than just generic black. We didn't cut any corners. Scuff, fill, sand, roll prime, wet sand, spray prime, wet sand, sealer, base, clear, wet sand, buff with rough wheel, buff with medium wheel, buff with fine wheel. 170 - 180 hours total time in over 21 days. Lots of work. And it's up for a more detailed, finer, wet sand and buff again. We were conservative with the buffing around the edges of some panels last summer since the paint was so fresh.

Attachments

• ECLIPSE_2.jpg
    ECLIPSE_2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 507
Hot rod black, I did it last winter.

Before:

After:

A friend and I painted my car last summer. Color is "Super Jet Black" which actually is a much darker and deeper black than than just generic black. We didn't cut any corners. Scuff, fill, sand, roll prime, wet sand, spray prime, wet sand, sealer, base, clear, wet sand, buff with rough wheel, buff with medium wheel, buff with fine wheel. 170 - 180 hours total time in over 21 days. Lots of work. And it's up for a more detailed, finer, wet sand and buff again. We were conservative with the buffing around the edges of some panels last summer since the paint was so fresh.

Wow!! You and your buddy did an amazing job, amazing :D

Before:

After:

Something about this I really like!

Ill update ya this winter when I paint my car!

CRASH89 Is it hard to maintain since it doesnt have a clear coat to protect it or does it? I Have heard rumors its pretty easily to scratch or just doesnt last well under hard weather conditions. Please inform me I started to do this and then at the last moment when I was ordering the paint changed my mind and went with the normal mitsu paint. So any info would be much appreciated.

CRASH89 Is it hard to maintain since it doesnt have a clear coat to protect it or does it? I Have heard rumors its pretty easily to scratch or just doesnt last well under hard weather conditions. Please inform me I started to do this and then at the last moment when I was ordering the paint changed my mind and went with the normal mitsu paint. So any info would be much appreciated.

Sorry if my first post was confusing. I was trying to say that I really liked the look of your car, and you did a great job. And Id update this thread with my DIY paintjob. Im stripping my car down and repainting it white.

More Pics!!!!

This is the only picture I have of the 67 Camaro I built and painted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Before:

After:

Did you just not use clear or did you use one of those clears that dries flat? Ive been thinking about doing a flat/semi gloss white for my talon and flat/semi gloss for the roof.

when you grow up using spray cans as a kid (and getting chased by cops LOL), you dont always have to use pro spray guns etc to get a good out come....

my car sprayed with, well, auto paint spray cans.....

Wow!! You and your buddy did an amazing job, amazing

@wkmitsu, that came out bad ass.. i really like a black car its just keeping up with it (taking care of it.) But nice work!

Ha yeah it's a lot of upkeep and making sure almost nothing touches it.

More Pics!!!!

Thanks for the acknowledgment everyone.

There are a few photos in my profile, I honestly don't have to many good pictures of my car yet. If you want a couple pictures of the process I'll put up a couple of those.

Attachments

• Sealer.jpg
    Sealer.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 249
  • ReadyforSealer.jpg
    ReadyforSealer.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 268
  • RollPrimed.jpg
    RollPrimed.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 262
Haven't even got it fully finished yet but here's my DIY paintjob so far:

Okay, I'll post original beauty!! That little yellow scratch is the only blemish on my baby.

Attachments

• 215320_123207001087003_100001931108592_169551_5105932_n.jpg
    215320_123207001087003_100001931108592_169551_5105932_n.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 224
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back