The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Paint Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volodar

Probationary Member
May 14, 2010
Colorado Spring, Colorado
hey everyone i want to get a paint job but i dont wanna pay out the a$$ has any of you guys got a maco job they are cheap just wondering if they do cheap work i know the saying you get what you pay for just wondering thanx!!

It's all in the prep work. If you just take the car into them they sand it down enough to get the new paint to stick. Then they paint over dents/dings.

You can get a decent paint job from them if you sand and fill all the little nicks and dings, primer and block sand the car to get the surface smooth.

Not sure what type paint they use. Probably enamel. If so, not much you can do to the paint as far as color sanding and buffing.

My suggestion would be to take everything you can off the car first (headlights, tail lights, etc.) then sand the really bad stuff, let them paint it. Ive seen some good work come out of maaco or 1 day paint and body. Let us know how it turns out, I want to get mine done soon.

ok it wont be for a while though becuse im going to new your in a few day for 6 weeks i will post before and after pics though

try earl shibbs me and my friend just got our car painted and mine was really messed up like my clear coat was shot and faded bad. They did a great job and not crazy bad over spray. Ive got some before and after pics up if you want to check them out of pm me and ill send you some. I paid 600 for the job with full prep work and everything and you cant tell the little stuff worth it for the price.

I have seen maaco paint jobs before, my buddy got a car painted by them and it looked good for two weeks. Yes two weeks.

I just got done painting my car and spent about $800 on primer, base, and clear. It's hard to imagine how a shop could give a qaulity job for $600

Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

I've got about $400 tied up in supplies to paint mine. Going acrylic lacquer so we can sand/polish then put about 4-5 coats of clear on and the sand/polish that.

I think the different grits of sandpaper ran close to $150 itself.

I have seen maaco paint jobs before, my buddy got a car painted by them and it looked good for two weeks. Yes two weeks.

I just got done painting my car and spent about $800 on primer, base, and clear. It's hard to imagine how a shop could give a qaulity job for $600

Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Exactly how many thousand gallons of primer, base, and clear do you buy in an average year? They are a business, a huge nationwide chain that has what is called buying power. They mix their own colors with a computer to get a color at site vs at the factory. They offer multiple quality levels of service starting with enamel (cheaper) and working up to base/clear (more expensive) systems.

I can keep going if you like but it boils down to this. They can and do paint cars for $600 and sometimes less. The trick is to pay the prep guys a little something extra on a half now half after basis to make it worth their while to do an extra clean job and still come out for less than the $800 you've spent. Oh yeah, I didn't even get into paint gun quality...

There are so many variables to paint.. Laquer vs Enamel, Vs, BC/CC Laquer shines up nice, but dries very hard and chips easy. Also it is hard to find laquers and enamels on some areas due to epa laws..

I have been painting cars for 20+ years and could write books on the subject, but there are plenty of people who have so I wont bother.... Every one is going to have an opinion about paint, who does the paint etc... May I suggest you also check out some independent shops, summer is slow for many of them and you may find a good deal there as well..

But Research, check out some car shows, ask who painted the cars you like... Take your time.. I have seen paint jobs that after a year looked worse than before it was painted, and I have seen $1000 paint jobs win a car show...

Good luck in your search

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back