The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Paint Job

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyEclipse5

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2002
Normal, Illinois
I want a new paint job, BUT i have heard if i want a color change it is a LOT more because of the door sills, and engine bay.

so...my car is the stock Electric blue. if i were to get a different chade of Blue, would it have to go through the same process as me getting it Black? I always wanted black and yellow, but blue and black wouldn't be to bad if its going to be cheaper ya know..

If the shade of blue you pick isn't to far from the factory color you won't be able to notice the difference under the hood and in the door sills

I painted my 1990 Talon with the red that the 97 Eclipses came with. A little deeper and much better looking red then the faded looking red that the early 1G's came with. There is a suble difference in edges of the door jams. But I am the only one that would probably notice it.
It really comes down to your how picky you are with your car, and how much of a difference there is in the blue.

I'll try to take a pic of my door jam and post it.

Mine is a color change from green to orage

7,000 cdn to do it right under the hood and everything is like factory.

I did the full color change on my car and I will definately say that it was a hell of a lot of work. I jammed the car out first (door jams, hatch jam and under hood) then I painted the rest of the car masking off everything that I painted the first time around. The time that it took for me to mask off the entire car so that I could paint the jams was about 8 hours plus the time it took to paint. I didn't pull the engine all I did was mask everything along the firewall, strut towers and radiator support. what I did though is I didn't change the base color of the car, I just added a pearl. This made the full color change a hell of a lot easier. what I did is I took the stock color (A87) majenta grey pearl, and added a pearl coat on top of it. What this allowed me to do is to scuff the stock paint in all of the jams and underthe hood and simply pearl over them. THe outside of the car I totally repainted but the nice thing about pearl is that since is changes colors, you can get away with missing spots underneath the hood and it won't stick out as if you missed a spot painting yellow over black. If you don't want to deal with color chainging underneath the hood you could simply spray paint it black, I have seen many cars like that and they don't look all that bad, you have to spray the jams though if you go for a color that is a lot different then the stock color. There are literally thousands of different shades of every color and the color change can be subtle allowing you get away with not jamming the car out, but still allow for a small difference between the stock color and the new color.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back