The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

ECMlink SD Start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, just thought of this. Not sure if it makes a difference. Like I have said previously, my car is a 1990. The person before me switched to a 2g maf. So, when ordering the ad cable I got it for a 2g maf. Will this be an issue? Also, since since I am using the cas and throttle body from a 91. I'm pretty sure I did the wiring correct, but could any of these things be a source of my problem?

It shakes when it was running before... like a misfire. hard to tell with open downpipe. To be clear, you have a downpipe bolted to o2 housing, and there is no leak at that connection. Then further down the pipe you have the wideband. Then it dumps out under the car? How far is the wideband from the end of the downpipe?

also, does giving it gas keep it running? are you just cranking with no gas pedal input?

I am pretty sure there is not leak, but I cannot be for sure. It is a new cheep o2 housing that was warped, so I had to belt sand to get it flat. New gasket with a bunch of copper spray. Just went out a looked at it and there wasn't any sign of a leak. The o2 is about right after the front tire and the exhaust ends about 2 foot after that. I need to get a test pipe welded in. The car does respond to throttle, I just started it and smoked up my garage (from the oil I put in the cylinders). I had to pump it to keep it running, but there was a point when it just died, despite giving it gas. The wideband didn't work the whole time . I did double check my wiring and it's all good. I haven't removed the wb yet. Might send innovate an email explaining what's going on.

I know it so seems like a miss fire... Honestly, I hope it's something stupid... Trying to not give up.

Would it be a good idea to just put the wb up front and simulate the factory o2?

do you have a spare ignition coil to swap on? there are ways to narrow down a misfire.

you could disconnect one plug wire and start it and see if you can keep it running with the throttle like before. if it runs the same as before, that plug wire you removed was not firing. So start with 1 and move to 4 one-by-one. if your ignition is working, I would expect that it wont run AT ALL with one of the plugs removed, but at the least it would run much much worse. if one is not working you will find it when it runs the same with that wire removed.

depending on what you find, you could then try the same thing with the fuel injectors and see how it responds.

I don't, the extra coil I have is from a 91 and I need a 90. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

The only thing I got done tonight was switching the o2 sensor and recalibrating it. Didnt make a change... Kinda bummed right now so I'm going to start in again tomorrow. Almost ready to start throwing new parts at it. Could it be the icm? When I was checking for spark before the plugs would fire, but when I turned of the key it would let out one last spark... Seemed odd... It's got to be something with the spark. Not that new stuff can't go bad, but the injectors are brand new. And I put a new fuel filter in too.

Anyway, I'll try checking for the misfire tomorrow. I also messaged my engine builder to ask if he knows anyone local that could help me... We'll see where that goes.

at least when you figure out the problem your ecu settings will be setup correctly. Then it will be easy to dial in the VE table a bit and have the car running well.

I hope so. It's been a real kick to my pride. I never will never claim to be good at this stuff... But this has been frustrating!!

I hope so. It's been a real kick to my pride. I never will never claim to be good at this stuff... But this has been frustrating!!
What is your wide band reading on ecmlink? Is the readings the same on ecmlink and your wide band gauge? I had this same issue, my wide band gauge would have one reading and ecmlink would only show 7:5. I checked my wiring to find out my wide-band wasn’t connected to the ecu. I know you checked but it’s worth a shot to check it again. If your plugs are fouled, it sounds like the car is running so rich it won’t start, which would happen if the ecu can’t see an oxygen signal.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back